Author Topic: Reasons Men Should Not Get A Hair Transplant  (Read 25276 times)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Reasons Men Should Not Get A Hair Transplant
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
I heard someone say once "All of life's big problems involve the words 'indictment' or 'inoperable", everything else is small sh*t".

How true it is. It's just hair! Get over it and move on!

marty22

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
Wasn't that easy say 25 years ago. Now its ez.

Offline dpinning

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
Though I know the title of this post is "reasons men should not get a hair transplant"...There are very competent docs who achieve decent results, which may be an option for some people. For example...

Either you work for that company or you're trying to justify spending your money there. 

Pretty opinionated of you. You are wrong on both counts. As a balding male I like to look at all the options and I think it disengenuous to not correctly state that there are satisfactory results to be had by some docs.  Performing my due diligence, I found Hasson and Wong, the one firm I linked, to document the results of their proceedures the best. No doubt there are some others out there who also do good work, but I haven't found a photo gallery of before and afters and actual contact info that compares. Don't fear opinions that don't jibe with yours.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 11:50:31 PM »
Though I know the title of this post is "reasons men should not get a hair transplant"...There are very competent docs who achieve decent results, which may be an option for some people. For example...

Either you work for that company or you're trying to justify spending your money there. 

Pretty opinionated of you. You are wrong on both counts. As a balding male I like to look at all the options and I think it disengenuous to not correctly state that there are satisfactory results to be had by some docs.  Performing my due diligence, I found Hasson and Wong, the one firm I linked, to document the results of their proceedures the best. No doubt there are some others out there who also do good work, but I haven't found a photo gallery of before and afters and actual contact info that compares. Don't fear opinions that don't jibe with yours.

Brooohoohoo...

No one is looking for hair around here..

It's a friggin' PRO BALD website!

We LIKE being bald...by our choice...and even the one's that were pushed by nature, dig the confident look they've inherited...

A little respect coming in to a new place would be nice also bro! 8)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 01:16:35 AM »

Obviously, you didn't read any of the posts here before you posted up your link.  Like BaldAndre said we're a PRO BALD website and are completely against drugs, PLUGS, and rugs.  How would you expect me to react? 

If you're going to go completely against the grain of our site on your first post, you have to expect me thing your spamming or justifying your link. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

marty22

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
Sounds like dpinning is a lobbyist.

Offline dpinning

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »
Hey guys,

Let's back up a sec. First, I apologise if I came off as a spammer or working for that particular site. I'm not and I don't. The reason I responded to this post after lurking on the site for a bit was because I read one of the posters talking about the "dolls head" look.  I haven't seen evidence of that archaic technique for Decades. That was what prompted me to post...reading misleading/incorrect info. I thought that perhaps the poster was unaware of the strides that had been made.

Yes I understand this is a bald by choice website, particularly for the veterans, but many lurkers or new visitors may be on the fence...like me. The most rational advice I have heard so far is try shaving your head and if you don't like it it will grow back shortly. Some people have less thinning than others and some have more donor area than others and some people, in the hands of the right doc, get good results. That was the point I was making. There is a difference between saying a solution is not for you and posting misleading info.

That said, this site provides a great service in encouraging guys to choose a healthy option for a condition that can be traumatic for some and that carrys alot of stigma. I applaud you all for that.

Best,
David...who will try buzz or sly before a hair transplant

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
David, I'm concerned about the wording of your post.  What concerns me is that you have a false sense of what a hair transplant can provide.  There is NOT one reason for ANYONE to get a hair transplant.  All options today are way too invasive, both physically and mentally, to even consider.  Getting a hair transplant doesn't get to the root of the issue that living life is not about having or not having hair.  Life is about embracing the person that you are and building your confidence around that.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »
I agree with Tyler one hundred percent. What you're talking about is just not real or natural. You are still hiding and still covering up, with hair that's not supposed to be there, regardless of where you get it from.
It's totally more natural and realistic to have a short cropped buzz or shave it off.

You can build confidence without relying on your hair. If that is cause for such anguish and hand wringing panic, then the person needs more help with his issues than a buzz cut can do for him.

Most guys that I've gotten to know here do not need that whole hair thing as reassurance of their manhood. They have stood in the face of it and changed their life and attitude in a positive, natural way. There have been a few lately who just don't seem to get it or even want to try. That's a shame because once you let go, you will feel freedom like never before. Just ask some of the guys who have had either transplants or rugs before and you'll get the idea.

Offline dpinning

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »
I agree with Tyler one hundred percent. What you're talking about is just not real or natural. You are still hiding and still covering up, with hair that's not supposed to be there, regardless of where you get it from.
It's totally more natural and realistic to have a short cropped buzz or shave it off.

You can build confidence without relying on your hair. If that is cause for such anguish and hand wringing panic, then the person needs more help with his issues than a buzz cut can do for him.

Most guys that I've gotten to know here do not need that whole hair thing as reassurance of their manhood. They have stood in the face of it and changed their life and attitude in a positive, natural way. There have been a few lately who just don't seem to get it or even want to try. That's a shame because once you let go, you will feel freedom like never before. Just ask some of the guys who have had either transplants or rugs before and you'll get the idea.

I agree on the point of confidence not having anything to do with hair or not. In fact it has nothing to do with physical appearance, amount of money in your bank account etc...

Now that that point is out of the way... crooked teeth are natural for some people, yet most opt for braces. Most often the tooth correction is not done for functional reasons but aesthetic. Most people can look at a house, or a car, or a person and say whether or not they find it attractive...or that one is more attractive than the other.  Assuming they are all sound, both houses keep you warm and dry or the cars get you from point a to point b or the people are honorable and pleasant to deal with, yet strictly from an aesthetic point of view a majority of people will prefer one over the other. Some people look better bald, some don't...that is subjective view I believe a majority of people looking at two images would agree with. Has nothing to do with their self worth or manhood or anything else that is more meaningful than physical appearance...it is simply an aesthetic, proportional, viewpoint. People can choose to lift weights, jog, grow a beard, not grow a beard, get breast augmentation, breast reduction....whatever...for aesthetic reasons... their self esteem and confidence and manhood being intact whether they do or don't.

After all, if shaving your head or being bald, or losing your hair was such a natural,wonderful thing this site would have no reason to exist. As William Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »
Dude, you may be trying to be helpful, but coming here and waxing eloquent on the subject of hair transplants is like going to a vegan convention trying to sell prime rib.

Your crooked teeth analogy doesn't hold water. Guys who lose their hair only freak out about it because the great marketing machine has told them from birth that losing your hair means losing your manhood and that means no getting laid. Sites like this are necessary not because baldness is a bad thing, but because men have been bamboozled into thinking it is.

It's the same marketing bullsh*t that drives girls to anorexia.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:40:38 AM by bootedbear »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »

Now that that point is out of the way... crooked teeth are natural for some people, yet most opt for braces. Most often the tooth correction is not done for functional reasons but aesthetic. .... People can choose to lift weights, jog, grow a beard, not grow a beard, get breast augmentation, breast reduction....whatever...for aesthetic reasons... their self esteem and confidence and manhood being intact whether they do or don't.

The big difference between hair transplants and these other cosmetic improvements (aside from the breast augmentation/reduction) is that none of them is painful and disfiguring like a hair transplant is and none of them requires numerous follow-up treatments -- and more $$$ out of pocket -- as the years go by.  You get your teeth straightened once -- and it doesn't require drilling holes in other parts of the body.  Nor does it require moving parts of the body to where your teeth should be to make it look like you have teeth that you really don't have.  And when the teeth are straightened, people can't tell that weren't naturally straight all along -- unlike a hair transplant which is usually quite obvious.

Growing a beard doesn't cost any money at all and doesn't line some doctor's pocket.  There's no pain involved, other than a little minor itchiness as it starts to grow in.  It's really no different from selecting a hair style for your scalp hair.  I don't see how it's comparable to a hair transplant procedure at all.

... As William Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

And methinks that you have a whole other agenda for being here.  Bootedbear hit the nail on the head -- it's like trying to force feed prime rib to a group of vegans.  We aren't interested in your propaganda.  Take it elsewhere.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
Dude, you may be trying to be helpful, but coming here and waxing eloquent on the subject of hair transplants is like going to a vegan convention trying to sell prime rib.

Thank you bear, I wasn't going to be as nice in my reply   >:(     :x!

We aren't interested in your propaganda.  Take it elsewhere.

As Razor said, we don't need you peddling your propaganda here, the guys who have come here came for a reason, and that is to receive strong encouragement on a tough issue in a man's life.
We are all for doing what is right for yourself; it's just not rugs, drugs or plugs here.
For that you will definitely have to go elsewhere.   

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
I should another reason to the list of why men should not get a hair transplant:

The hair transplant industry will do anything short of brainwashing to try to convince a man to get a hair transplant.

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
First of all you can't compare crooked teeth to baldness.Lots of guys look great sly but nobody looks good with crooked teeth.I don't care if you're the best looking man or woman in the world,crooked teeth will spoil your appearence tremendously.I'd rather be bald with great teeth than have hair with rotten teeth.There is this guy where I used to work who is real handsome, then one day when I saw him smile I was surprised.One of his teeth was longer than the one next to it and one was stained.That spoiled his whole look.Need I say more!