Author Topic: Reasons Men Should Not Get A Hair Transplant  (Read 25139 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Reasons Men Should Not Get A Hair Transplant
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
I wouldn't unless I could get a better crop than what I had-thin, hard to control, etc.  But REALITY is that my hair wasn't that great-ever-and that MPB is real, I've got it and I'VE DEALT WITH IT FINALLY.  Sure I've thought about a full head since I went sly, I think that's natural.  But reality is I've now done the best I can with the cards I was dealt.  I don't know that I would be BBC if my genetic pool had been different, but that isn't where I live.  I do know I don't have to look at myself every morning and see the mop dying.  I can drive my car w/ the top down and not have to worry about it I lacquered it down tight enough, I don't worry about putting on a cap and crushing the delicate set up on top.  I don't have to worry if I'm standing under a bright light and worrying if everyone is looking at the wispy remains on top.  No, I've done it, I'm satisfied.  And the beni's I never knew existed--head rubbing--self induced or from the ladies, and oddly enough the clean fresh feeling just after shaving, tjey are, to borrow the word, PRICELESS O0 O0 O0.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »

reason #539,834 not to get plugs.  Sly guys will assume you're a major douche.
I agree Marz,
And on top of that, you're fooling no one but yourself!, It's something that's got to be pitied.    :/O

marty22

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
Trust me. Its worth it for awhile and then kaboom-your hair recedes and either you start with more plugs or cry about reversing the process, which I tried to over 2 years.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:24:10 AM by marty22 »

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 07:41:40 AM »
I do't think I would ever consider it, same as i wouldnt consider any type of surgery that wasnt absolutely necessary.  Why go through all the pain and inconvenience for plugs when you can look just as good shaved and shiny?

Those scars are really something else.  Who in their right mind...?!

Sorry to all those that have tried it/considered it, but no way would I ever inflict that on myself.  If someone has to rely on all that covering up and lieing to the world in order to feel confident about themselves, then that's just really sad.

marty22

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
30 years ago it was tough to be bald. Except for a few NYC people who shaved their heads for whateve reason, bald was weird. Times have changed thank God.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 02:04:15 PM »
30 years ago it was tough to be bald. Except for a few NYC people who shaved their heads for whateve reason, bald was weird. Times have changed thank God.

Yeah, I imagine the social stigma of being bald back then was pretty harsh. I can understand how people would go to huge lengths to counteract the effects of MPB.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline TheyCallMeTheHead

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 03:07:14 AM »
They have a new hair transplant procedure that allows you to get the hair without the scar. Its called FUE. Its more expensive, but I might do so I can still shave my head and have a hairline that looks real.

Hair loss sucks, Ive been shaving my head for 2 years, still hate how I look, and have been depressed for 2 years.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 04:56:14 AM »

Hair loss sucks, Ive been shaving my head for 2 years, still hate how I look, and have been depressed for 2 years.

OK - well there isn't really anything you can do about the hair loss -- which I agree, DOES suck. So if you hate how you look -- what things are within your control that you CAN control that can stand some improvement?  Upgrade your wardrobe.  If you wear glasses, get contacts if possible.  Things like that can make a big difference.  Experiment with facial hair.  Or probably the best thing you can do to make yourself look and feel better is get into the best physical shape you possibly can.  Build up your chest and biceps and the hair suddenly won't seem as important.

We all have things we don't like about our appearances.  I have a whole laundry list of things I would change if I could.  But it's the total package that matters, rather than the individual parts.  I'd rather a muscular, physically fit bald guy than a hairy 90-pound-weakling or a hairy overweight guy.  Exercise is good for the mind and body.  I was  having one of those days yesterday where I was feeling a bit down -- not for any particular reason; was just feeling a little off my game.  After an hour in the gym, I can't tell you how much better I felt.

We're conditioned to think that our hair is the most important aspect of our appearances, but in reality nothing could be further than the truth.  One day, when you're older you'll realize how little it really matters.  Until then, just trust me and take my word for it.   ;)

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »

i would say that cancer sucks, blindness sucks, deafness sucks, heart disease sucks, kidney failure sucks, a brain tumour sucks, losing a baby sucks, lots of things in life sucks...

But hair loss?   :'(
Just get over it.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »

i would say that cancer sucks, blindness sucks, deafness sucks, heart disease sucks, kidney failure sucks, a brain tumour sucks, losing a baby sucks, lots of things in life sucks...

But hair loss?   :'(
Just get over it.

Well said, Rob. These people need a little perspective, dont they?!

The only way to get past being depressed is to do what Razor has suggested. Once you start focusing on things other than your hair, you can get on with your life. You will have much more freedom. There is so much out there waiting for you to experience. Stop the hand wringing and get out and live.

Offline TheyCallMeTheHead

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »
Its true, I really should focus on improving my body or something that I can change. To be honest, I'd rather be a skinny guy with hair than one of those buff shiny bald guys you see at the gym. But I guess at this point I don't have an option, so I might as well hit the gym.

Hairloss has hurt me on a pretty profound level. I've gone to psychologists to try to deal with it, and am even going to move to Asia (semi-permanently) because I don't feel I fit in here in America anymore.

Maybe the media has influenced me over my 22 years of life into thinking that bald is wrong, but whatever the reason, I need to get out of here.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 02:57:52 AM »
Its true, I really should focus on improving my body or something that I can change. To be honest, I'd rather be a skinny guy with hair than one of those buff shiny bald guys you see at the gym. But I guess at this point I don't have an option, so I might as well hit the gym.

Exactly.  Accept what you cannot change and change what you can.  As I said before, there are a lot of things I don't like about my appearance.  I'd venture to say that's the case with a lot of people.  When I was your age, I was upset about thinning hair and a receding hair line (though not as upset as you are).  Once I shaved my head and got comfortable with the look, I found myself obsessing over some extra pounds I'd put on.  So I joined a gym.  Then I found myself wishing I was taller, darker, younger ... the point being, that there are plenty of things to beat  yourself up over, if you let negative thinking take over.  Just let it go .....
[/quote]

Hairloss has hurt me on a pretty profound level. I've gone to psychologists to try to deal with it, and am even going to move to Asia (semi-permanently) because I don't feel I fit in here in America anymore.

Maybe the media has influenced me over my 22 years of life into thinking that bald is wrong, but whatever the reason, I need to get out of here.

And running away from the problem is going to help how, exactly?   ???
Do you not realize that there has never been a time when baldness was more accepted than it is now?  I could understand feeling this way 20 or 30 years ago but to be perfectly blunt, it amaze me, in this day and age, that young guys even care about hair loss anymore.   I first noticed that my hairline had crept back a few inches around 1990.  It had probably been going on for a couple of years before I even noticed it.  Back then, it was still rare to see white guys with shaved heads.  It's certainly not something I thought I'd ever do, and I'd have laughed my ass off at anyone who'd have told me otherwise.  I can't say that I was happy at the prospect of being bald, but I never let it become the thing that ruled my life.   And trust me, I'm as vain as they come -- then and now.

If I were given the opportunity to change just one thing about my appearance -- anything I wanted -- I'd be taller or tanner or thinner, I'm not sure which.  But I'd be a taller, tanner or thinner bald guy.   :)

Back to you:  I'm no expert on Asian culture, but isn't baldness still very much stigmatized over there -- as opposed to here, where it really is not?  This isn't something you can run away from.  You have to find a way to deal with it, or you'll find yourself miserable no matter where you're living.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
I mean I'm BBC, but I was thinning. I really dont want to grow my hair back, and if I was thinning worse than I already was I would never resort to procedures like that. I have been bald for 7 months now, and I am starting to get well known for it. It is getting to be apart of my personality
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
I I have been bald for 7 months now, and I am starting to get well known for it. It is getting to be apart of my personality

That's just like me: I feel that I'm getting known for being bald, and people recognise you by the bald head.  It's kind of like a beacon!  I think if you hide under some sort of image that isnt 'you', then you don't get a chance to let your personality grow and no one ever really gets to know the 'real you'.  If you have a transplant or wig then no one really likes you for what you are, only for the person you're PRETENDING to be.  The real you doesnt really exist.  Well, that's how I look at it anyway. 8)

Offline RodgerDodger

• Super Sly
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
Why a man should NOT get a hair transplant?
.........'cause it's girly thing to do.   :Xo!