Author Topic: Alopecia For 32 Years. Ready to Shed Wig !!!  (Read 21958 times)

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
Alopecia For 32 Years. Ready to Shed Wig !!!
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
I've had alopecia Totalis (no/little hair on scalp) for 32 years.   I've worn a wig the whole time and am tired of it.  My wife and daughter have been begging me to get rid of the wig for several years now but I've just not had the guts to do it.  They tell me I look much much better without it.  I have fuzz all around my head so I do have to shave it for it to look presentable. But, because I can't grow any thick hair, I can shave it really clean. 

I've gone on a few vacations w/o it and love it.  I guess part of my hesitation is that I have a job that requires me to work with alot of very conservative people and I've wondered how they'd react. 

Also, I'm overweight and I keep telling my wife and daughter that I have to lose weight before I can do this.  Of course I never seem to lose weight ....

I want to do it more than ever ....   

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Alopecia For 32 Years. Ready to Shed Wig !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »
Hi, Andrew.

Welcome to the group.  Many of us here work in conservative environments and none of us has encountered any problems at work due to our shaved heads.  In your case it should be even less likely to be a problem, since you really don't have very much hair to begin with.  No employer is going to force you to wear a wig.  Ditch the wig and bask in the feeling of freedom you'll experience.

The weight is a separate issue.  You may be unconsciously using it as an excuse not to get rid of the rug.   Get rid of the rug now and you'll feel a lot better about yourself.  And having solved that problem, you may be more motivated to get some pounds off.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:28:49 PM »
Andrew welcome to the group.

Indeed I can imagine you may feel somewhat self-consious about not wearing the wig as it has been part of your life for over 30 years but I would encourage you to give the bald look a try, like Razor said, you will feel a newfound freedom and wish you had ditched it years ago.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »
andrew....welcome 2 the sbg forum.  razorx & jdog  r  totally & absolutely right.  shed the wig & give your head a good shave with a quality razor (mach3, fusion, or headblade) & give it a 30 day trial.  the 30 day trial seems 2 b the "official" time frame of a "test" run on how one is adjusting 2 their "freedom".  i  say  b  free & throw away the rug  & enjoy a fresh clean dome.  i promise u that u will find it liberating & that u will enjoy it.  anyways... keep us posted on your road 2 slyness.  u will not regret it. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Penguins Fan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:06:41 AM »
Andrew,

There is a man who works in my office who wears a full wig.  I see him from time to time, but don't know him.  This is a fact, not an opinion - the wig looks terrible on him. 

Women offer sympathy, men offer solutions.

I will echo what you have already seen here.  Trash the wig.  Do it now.   Shave off the fuzz.  See a nutritionist.  Your health care coverage may pay for part or all of the cost.  Get a medical checkup and start an exercise program and stick to it.  Use the "ditching of the wig" as an opportunity to change your appearance and your life.   You will not regret it.
Let's Go Pens!

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:20:39 AM »
Thanks to all of the great advice and encouragement.  I know you're all right.  I just need to build up the guts to go for it.

I have a mustache now but I'm thinking that a little beard to go with it might look good.   Then a pair of sunglasses, and I'll be SLYYYYYYY .....
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
andrew....its time...there is no better time in history than now to go sly.......your coworkers ALL know you wear a wig and i will bet they will be happy for you once you get rid of it..try a goatee with it....being sly will encourage you to lose weight since its a new freedom and beginning on your appearance....good luck and keep us posted.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
The sly look is one that mixes in with many crowds. Have no fear!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »
I want to do it more than ever ....   

Andrew, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!  There's no time like the present to do it!  Like the other guys have said, you'll feel liberated!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »
It's taken you 32 years to get to this decision eh.?

KC

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 12:02:56 PM »
being sly will encourage you to lose weight since its a new freedom and beginning on your appearance....good luck and keep us posted.

Couldn't agree more with that statement.  I have lost 15 lbs this summer and am back down to my fighting weight of 185 lbs and have put the gym back into my routine.  I feel and look great!! :)

The best is yet to come.

Ken

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 12:58:35 PM »
Hey Andrew, welcome to SBG's!, as you have already seen, you will get lots of support and encouragement from the fellas'.

I will echo what you have already seen here.  Trash the wig. Do it now. Shave off the fuzz. Use the "ditching of the wig" as an opportunity to change your appearance and your life.   You will not regret it.
[/quote]

Truer words are never spoken. Now is your chance to regain control and peace of mind for yourself. I cannot begin to tell you how great it feels when you finally shave your head. Any of the brother's on here will tell you the same.
I can't imagine what it must be like to have that daily concern about your wig. It must be taxing. Take it off, get rid of it, burn it if you have to.
Then take one of the blades of choice and some gel like Warhawk said, and go shave!.
I guarantee you will feel better, like a weight has lifted. Go do it and you will see.     O0

Good luck,

Joe

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »
Welcome to SBG, Andrew.  As the other brothers have said, go for it and begin feeling the liberation that comes from being your true self.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »
Hey Andrew.  Welcome to SBG.  You've come to the right place.  I know how you feel - I was in your shoes less than 3 months ago.

I wore a wig for more than 23 years.  I am a professional - own my own business - work with the public extensively on a daily basis.  My profeesion depends on repeat business.

The last 3 years of my wig existence were absolutely horrible.  I wanted so much to have the guts to ditch the unit.  Like you, I was scared to death of what everyone else would think.  It got so bad, I would wake up at night worrying about it.

In late May of this year, I found SBG.  I secretly read and read and read the posts on here.  Finally I joined and made my first post.  It was absolutely phenomenal the support I got.

Finally, on June 8, with my 10 year old son in tow, I visited the local barber named Jack the Ripper.  I have been male pattern bald since I was 20.  I told Jack, start cutting and don't stop.  It sounds crazy but it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made.  I was finally liberated from the unit and I knew I could not go back.

You have no idea how the weight was lifted off my shoulders.  I will not lie - going to work and seeing people for the first time was scary.  Incredibly, everyone was supportive.  Just this past week I had 2 clients come to my office that had not seen me since I went sly and both of them told me I was sexy.  Now that definitely didn't happen in the last 23 years.  In fact, one other client said I wish you would have done that years ago - you look great.

Another colleague has told me on more than one occasion how good it looks and told me, it took b@lls to do what you did.  I finally figured out people liked me for who I was, not because I did or didn't have hair.  I took control of my life.

All I can say is go for it.  I promise you that it will be the lifting of  a heavy burden.  If you have gone on vacation without it and liked it, just think how much you will like it full time.  You are like me  - a bald guy trapped under a wig.  Release the trap and be free.  I can't imagine why I didn't do this years ago.

I know there are some other guys on here who wore a unit who can give you advice.  However, if I can help you in any way, feel free to send me a message.  Good luck my man. 

Sooner Steve
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

jusbnme

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:34 PM »
Go for it man.  The others have covered it very well.  There's no time like NOW!  You will wish you had done it years ago.