Author Topic: Getting Ready to Quit Hairclub  (Read 20734 times)

Offline JP1975

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Done
Getting Ready to Quit Hairclub
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:05:13 AM »
hi,

i have been reading you forums and finaly joined.

my story is verry similar to what i have been reading. I started going bald at 18, joined hairclub at 23, and now im 36 and i have had it!  it took me a few years of considering quiting before i got to the point were i would set a date.

HERES MY PLAN:
I just got a new unit this week.  i want to keep it for the next five months till i go on vacation. after two months i have noticed the units  start to get thin on top in the same places i am thin. at the same time i will let my hair grow out, so when i go on vaca i can ditch the unit shave my head and get a nice tan. I dont want to go from a full head of hair to realy thin with no tan. as i think i will get less reaction if i thin out first over the next few months.

please advise.

jp1975

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Getting Ready to Quit Hairclub
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, JP!

Why wait? Take a long weekend from work, on the first day ditch "the unit", shave, and then tan for a few days. Go back to work like nothing happened.

People will admire you for losing that "unit". Believe me.... they all know it's there and probably snicker about it.

In 5 months it will be Winter and tanning won't be so easy....... now's the time.

Peace-
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:25:35 AM »
i think i will get less reaction if i thin out first over the next few months.
Welcome to SBG, you're finally where you need to be.  As the Koz has said, just do it.  Although this is huge to you and was for many of us what you'll find if you read the numerous posts on the subject is that in most all cases it just isn't that big to anyone else.  Do it--why waste five more months of your life, even five days or five hours.  It's time.  You will like it, and you'll be free--yes FREE.

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:10 AM »
JP, you have become a slave to "The Unit" and it is time for your Declaration of Independence.
I'm with Koz on this, nobody has been fooled by the rug and they probably have made you the brunt of some cruel jokes. Human nature works like that. We all like to feel superior in some way. The Hair Club has made their millions by convincing the public that it is preferable to walk around with a dead muskrat on our collective head than it is to just scrape off that damned scrub and get on with life. Putting it off, as we have all seen, just leads to more putting it off. Be like Nike and Just Do It. You'll feel better because the situation will be in YOUR control and your wallet will be fatter as well.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:30 AM »
Another vote cast...........JUST DO IT.  It's no wheres near as big a deal as what we imagine it to be.  Buzz the remnants down, get in a hot shower and scrap it all OFF  TODAY.  Waiting will not make it easier or simpler.   If you're worried about a pale skull get yourself to WalMart and buy a tube of the high powered version of Jergen's Natural Glow, 2 applications of that and you'll get rid of the paleness.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline KW72

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
Been reading the forums for the last month.  After seeing this topic I thought I would chime in.  This is my first post.  I am in a similar situation as JP1975. 

I started going bald at 17 and by the time I was 19 my hair had really thinned out.  I was about to away to school and was very self conscious about my hair loss.  I joined HCM the month before I left.  At first it was a huge confidence boost and it served its purpose.  I meet my future wife at college and for the most part was happy with my appearance.  I accepted the fact that I would have to be a member for life and it just something I would have to deal with...

Fast forward to the present.  I am 39 with 2 children.  Over the last couple months I have seriously considered buzzing off the "system" and starting over.  I have spoken to my wife about it and she is fine with my decision.  Since I don't have a vacation scheduled in the near future we thought the best way to do this would be to take a couple days off and do it at the beginning of a weekend.  Thinking of doing the deed next month.  That way I can go to the pool and get some sun...I am not too concerned with my family/friends reactions.  I am more freaked out about how my co-workers will react.  My kids have also never seen me without my system...What should I tell them?  Should I give my co-workers a heads up? 

Offline seanmil666

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
Just get it over with.
All this preparation is just turning something that is really a non-event (shaving the head) into an event.  Just shave it.  Who cares if the head is white.  No need to build it up in to more then it really is.
Congrats on ditching the hair system.
I am trying to figure out a way to get my dad (currently 67 years old and had it since he was in his 30's) to get rid of his.
In regards to the kids reaction, I found that to be the funnest thing about shaving.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »
I have (of course) heard of the hair club, but what do they do? DON'T WORRY, I'm not going to check into it, but just curious what they do, is it just toupee's? 

I would be interested to see both you and the other HCM poster put pic's of you with your wig on. Then lets see the sly domes There will be no doubt you both are making GREAT moves. Congrats and just save it all off.

You both will feel MUCH better.

Welcome to the site.
AKA Gimpy

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
Just get it over with.

The correct answer.  And to repeat what I and so many others have said--your coworkers probably will be a mostly non-event, even though it is huge to you.  They know about the system--believe me. 

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »
Welcome JP. You're headed in the right direction now. Quit the (fake) hair club, buzz it down and then shave it smooth, then prepare to get on with your life of freedom!     8)
Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
JP,

Having been down the same road as you, I have to agree with the rest of guys.  They're giving you the same advice (some of the same guys too) that they gave me almost 4 years ago.  I had an elaborate plan, like yours, and ended up just going for it.  2 weeks after joining SBG my head was shining like a cue ball.

Plan a long weekend sometime in the near future, ditch the rug, get a few rays and enjoy your freedom.   You won't regret it ...

Andrew
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
Like the others have said, forget the preparation and JUST DO IT!  Your coworkers won't care, your friends won't care, basically nobody cares but you.  Why delay your freedom for 5 months?  It's already staring you in the eye.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »
Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Think of it this way, this is just a haircut, nothing more. If you scrape the dome and you hate it you can go back to the rug. It isn't as though you donated a kidney to your best friend and then realize that he's having an affair with your wife. This is totally reversible.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
And think of the cashola you'll save!