Author Topic: Getting Ready to Quit Hairclub  (Read 20736 times)

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Getting Ready to Quit Hairclub
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum, JP! Great advice from the guys.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
Hey JP & KW:

I know where you are.  I wore a "system" for 23 years from age 20 to 43.  I was a slave to it.  I know your fear.  I was very scared and worried about what everyone would say.  I was sure THEY would be shocked when I shaved it clean.

Turns out, I WAS THE ONE WHO WAS SHOCKED. 

I was shocked to learn that I had not been fooling anyone with my "system". 

I was shocked to learn that most everyone had wanted me to get rid of it for years. 

I was shocked to learn that no one cared that I did not have hair.

I was shocked to learn that I felt bether about myself once I got rid of the "system."

I was shocked to learn that my self confidence shot straight through the roof.

I was shocked to learn that my hair, or the lack thereof, did not define me. 

I was shocked to learn that I was happier without it.

I also had a huge plan of losing the system, getting a tan on vacation, etc.  I discussed it with my wife.  She was on board.  I talked to my kids - age 10 & 14.  I had a plan.  I was ready.  Then my 10 year old said "Dad, why don't you just go Friday to the barber, cut what's left and go to work on Monday."  Sounded like a great idea and that is what I did.  Even took him with me.

We still laugh about my elaborate plan to go SLY and how a 10 year old was smarter dear ol' dad and had a better plan.

I realize this is a long post but want you guys to know I understand where you are.  These guys on here were WONDERFUL help to me.  They gave me the same advice they are giving you.

TRUST ME - JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Oracle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
I too would encourage you to just go ahead and do it - whenever you are ready!  I waited until my vacation to shave.  Like you, I wanted to have time to come to terms with the new me and to get some sun on the new, white dome.  While I was careful to limit my exposure and to use sunscreen, I also made sure that my newly shorn dome was exposed without any protection for at least 45 minutes a day to the Florida sun.  Still, I did not tan as much as I would have liked and you can still see the white outline of my old hairline.  But guess what?  Nobody cares!  Shaving my head was liberating for me but it was a non-event for everyone else; my friends, family, and co-workers have said nothing except for positive comments.  It's just a new hair-style for someone whose style choices were limited to wearing a horse-shoe (toilet-seat) fringe, a comb-over, a rug, or manning up and shaving it!  Which happens to be a popular and hip hairstyle even for guys who have a full head of hair.  Shave whenever you are ready, just realize that the only person who will need time to get used to it will be you!  Good Luck!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question.  I came from the thinning to combover part of the mpb population.  I never seriously thought about going with a system--they seemed somehow fake to me.  But I wonder if any of the guys who did go with the system have ever thought through how they reeled you into their plan?  How did they go about convincing you that one day you walk into their store and walk out with a head of "hair?"  How did they "re-sell" you  if you expressed any doubts or concerns about using a "system?"  They seem to have a powerful hold on some guys and I just wonder how they get away with it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:17:03 PM by saintc »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »
Hey JP & KW:

I know where you are.  I wore a "system" for 23 years from age 20 to 43.  I was a slave to it.  I know your fear.  I was very scared and worried about what everyone would say.  I was sure THEY would be shocked when I shaved it clean.

I was shocked to learn that most everyone had wanted me to get rid of it for years. 

I was shocked to learn that I felt bether about myself once I got rid of the "system."

I also had a huge plan of losing the system, getting a tan on vacation, etc.  I discussed it with my wife.  She was on board.  I talked to my kids - age 10 & 14.  I had a plan.  I was ready.  Then my 10 year old said "Dad, why don't you just go Friday to the barber, cut what's left and go to work on Monday."  Sounded like a great idea and that is what I did.  Even took him with me.

We still laugh about my elaborate plan to go SLY and how a 10 year old was smarter dear ol' dad and had a better plan.

I realize this is a long post but want you guys to know I understand where you are.  These guys on here were WONDERFUL help to me.  They gave me the same advice they are giving you.

OUTSTANDING post Steve! I hope Tyler will consider making this a sticky in a PROMINENT place on the Forum. This is without a doubt one of the best testimonies I've seen on why to go SLY and dump that "unit" or "system" or whatever it might be called.

Sooner Steve rocks!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline KW72

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
I am going through with the plan.  I have already taken the couple days off work.  I will be sly on August 9th.  No backing out...you are right the days off are more for me to get used to it than any other reason. 

Told my folks and they were very supportive.  I think the kids will be fine.  My friends and family will be a little shocked...but I know it is the right decision and I'll be ok.  I told my wife to post a picture of my new look on her facebook page (I don't have one) so everyone can see the new look.  The only negative for me is for showing up in the office with a bald head.  I think I will level with my boss and my direct report but other than that I don't think I owe anyone an explanation.  What do you tell people.  For me I have no qualms with telling someone I wore a hairpiece for 20 years and was tired of it.  This is my new hair cut...

When I was in high school I actually had long hair.  Then I noticed it was going bald and it completely freaked me out...this was circa 89/90.  I had no idea what to do and I panicked.  I joined HCM and immediately felt more confident.  Worst decision of my life...but you live and you learn. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
The only negative for me is for showing up in the office with a bald head.  I think I will level with my boss and my direct report but other than that I don't think I owe anyone an explanation.  What do you tell people.  For me I have no qualms with telling someone I wore a hairpiece for 20 years and was tired of it.  This is my new hair cut...
The office will be a non-event, only you care about this that much--sorry that's just it and you'll find that report over and over in the posts on SBG's.  I'm sure I've seen some, but I can only think of one person who had any poor reaction, just one.  For the one or two of your workmates that ask why you got rid of the rat--yes they all know that it was a hairy toilet seat cover--tell them why, just as you've said it here.  This isn't leveling with the boss either--it's none of his business anyway, unless he was getting irked with the rug.  You will get compliments, lots of them.  And they don't stop coming, I still get them heading into my fifth year and I know the other guys get them too.  You're going to be free, totally free of all the inhibitions that you've had and have had supported and encouraged by the Hair Club folks.  The inhibitions were their "business plan" and you will have axed it.  I've even seen where their income is down during the last several years--guys are wising up and shaving down.  You're not the first you won't be the last, either.  Just get ready to live again completely unfettered by all the cr_p you've carried all these years. 

Offline KW72

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
Thanks for all your support...

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
KW72........... Props to you for making what will be a life changing decision for you...... for the better.
Props to your wife and Family for providing support while you make this change. As said previously.... this will mostly be  non-event... bigger in your own mind than in the minds of others.

If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to while you wait for the day to arrive, you can PM me personally.

Post us up and before shot if you like.......

By the way......... I LOVE the direction this thread has taken. Good advice and guys stepping up to the plate to better their own lives.

Peace
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
Hey JP & KW:

OUTSTANDING post Steve! I hope Tyler will consider making this a sticky in a PROMINENT place on the Forum. This is without a doubt one of the best testimonies I've seen on why to go SLY and dump that "unit" or "system" or whatever it might be called.

Sooner Steve rocks!!!

Thanks for the kind words Mike.  I just wanted to help a fellow "system" wearer with the truth about going SLY just like so many people on this board, including you, helped me with my decision.  It has truly been a wonderful decision for me and I just want to share the good news with another brother who is struggling with the decision to lose the rat!!!

SLY is the only way!!!!!!!
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
Off, Off, OffOFF!

I will say that hair loss never distressed me.  I was the "gradual frontal recession" rather than the "abrupt horseshoe."  When I was forty, I said, "Why not shave the head?"  I had no one to object, even if that was twenty-six years ago when it was not all that common (outside of skinhead culture).  No one shrieked, gasped, pointed, or snickered.  The parents did give me "the look," I'll have to admit, but I was an adult for a long time, and all they could do was write me out of the will, which they forgot to do. 

I can't say I'm entirely free of concern about how I appear to people; that I'm sly is no big deal, but that I'm really heavy is.  Well, we all have our problems, yet Weight Watchers seems a more useful possibility than Hair Club.   Weight loss is real, rugs are not.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
I am going through with the plan.  I have already taken the couple days off work.  I will be sly on August 9th.  No backing out...

We are counting down the days in anticipation.  Six days and counting.

Offline KW72

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
No backing out...cancelled my agreement with HCM.  Have a round of golf planned with my Dad on August 10th.  Will likely give 3-4 of my closest friends a heads up this weekend.

I was planning to tell my boss and my direct report this Tuesday (the last day of work before I am off the rest of the week).

Still a little anxious but am at peace with the decision.  Last decision to make is if I want to get buzzed down by a barber or do it myself (I have the clippers) on the initial cutting...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
Have a round of golf planned with my Dad on August 10th. 
DON'T FORGET SOME SUNSCREEN & A HAT!

Will likely give 3-4 of my closest friends a heads up this weekend.

I was planning to tell my boss and my direct report this Tuesday (the last day of work before I am off the rest of the week).

Who and why you provide a "head's up" about this is your own business as long as you remember the ONLY person's opinion that's worth anything at all is that of the 24/7 guy--you. 

And remember as you've learned and heard here--you're going to really enjoy the freedom from the tyranny of HCM, worry, etc.  You may well have a period where you question, "Who's the dude in the mirror?"  But, come September 9--you will be totally on board and free after years of servitude to the piece and brain-washing by HCM that there is somehow something wrong with your God given dome.  See you on the Sly Side!

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
No backing out...cancelled my agreement with HCM. 

Best news I have heard all day.   O0 O0 O0 O0

Enter your email address: