Author Topic: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald  (Read 13856 times)

Timbo1941

I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald
« on: July 29, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
I will be bald starting a week from Friday. I have decided to go for it. Comments from newyawka and Rob were especially helpful and all you guys have been a great help.

So I'm saying goodbye to the 'corporate' haircut in my photo when I say goodbye to my corporate job next week. I'll start my new blue collar job as a bald man.

Congrats on the new job and your new start on life. You're in the right position now, especially to shave it smooth. Think of it as a whole new beginning. I can really relate to you Tim because I went through the same type of thing as you're going through, three years ago just this past month. A total life change.
I can only encourage you to go with it, remember you're making a fresh path in your life, practically starting over. What better way to do it than go out there and try something you know you want to do?

I think you're going to be fine. Hang in there and face it proudly, feel the confidence that will come over you when you do the things you want to do. Put it out there.

........Good luck!    O0

So, I've decided to go through with it. I have an appointment with the clippers next Friday after my last day at my current job.  O0

I told my barber I would rather start with a buzz and he said "Forget it. Just get it all shaved off at once. If you're going to do it, then do it right! "

For twelve years this man has been cutting my hair and asking me if he 'took too much off'. Now he is looking forward to shaving it all off! My hair is very thick on top and in the back but he said it would only take a few minutes and I'm done.

He said he would leave a great shine on my scalp.  8) That will be a new one for me.

The barber is going to take before-and-after photos.  We talked about  my new blue collar life that I'll be starting - as you say, a whole new start in most ways.

It will be more than a head shave - it will be part of a transformation that I hope will be a good transition into something new. The old image has to go - all of it.

So I'm going to bring my coveralls and work boots with me to change into before the head shave so I can 'shed'  (good word  O0) and be free of the useless, expensive, fancy symbols that I have used to create the executive persona that used to mean so much to me : the Armani pinstriped suit, the necktie, the starched shirt, the Italian captoe shoes, the black Brooks Brothers socks, the cufflinks and the briefcase along with my corporate  haircut that goes with them. It's all part of the same fake package.  For some it is exactly right. But it no longer fits me.  O0

I guess I will really look like a new man when I leave the shop. But WHAT I will look like - well, I will soon know!  

How will people respond differently? I don't know. I wil have to see. They are used to one "Timothy". Now there will be a new one.

I will be shorn of my image along with my hair. I have shown that to the world for years. I don't know what the new image will be. But that's for the future.  O0
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:17:47 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
Personally, I'd leave the old job with something that they could remember me for!  ;)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
Agree with Sarge -- show up for work on your last day in your overalls and shaved head.  What a GREAT way to transform. 

Timbo1941

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
Agree with Sarge -- show up for work on your last day in your overalls and shaved head.  What a GREAT way to transform.  

Personally, I'd leave the old job with something that they could remember me for!  ;)

That would be an abrupt transformation for my office: Armani pinstripes, necktie, expensive dress shoes and a full head of hair on Thursday afternoon and then coveralls with a name tag, work boots, with my head shaved completely bald on Friday morning - in a stuffy and proper upper crust investment bank.....????

Well, we'll see about that one.  I can imagine my boss's face....It would be something no one would forget.  :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:16:05 AM by Timbo1941 »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »
Well, I'd do the head shave for sure!   ;D

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »

I agree with Sarge on this one......... Good Luck Tim!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:32:06 AM »
would love to be a fly on the wall to witness THAT entrance!  :*))

Agree with Sarge -- show up for work on your last day in your overalls and shaved head.  What a GREAT way to transform.  

That would be an abrupt transformation for my office: Armani pinstripes, necktie, expensive dress shoes and a full head of hair on Thursday afternoon and then coveralls with a name tag, work boots, with my head shaved completely bald on Friday morning - in a stuffy and proper upper crust investment bank.....????

Well, we'll see about that one.  I can imagine my boss's face....It would be something no one would forget.  :o
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Timbo1941

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
That sure would be a case of "burning my boats". If I ever wanted to return to my old life it would be very, very hard to get a reference. My last day on the job will be the first thing they remember in the future.....

Going back to "Timothy the Investment Banker" woud be a lot harder after an entrance (and an exit) in coveralls with all of my hair shaved off.  8)

would love to be a fly on the wall to witness THAT entrance!  :*))

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
Good luck with whatever you do but I would at least shave my head.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Start with the headshave Tim, just take care of that. I wouldn't do any of the other stuff though.
Leave with a good attitude and your head held high, and start your new life.  O0

Timbo1941

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
Just checked back to this thread and it looks like it is unanimous advice: I should show up for my last day at the bank with a bald head!  8)

Just curious: Why do you suggest it? As a statement? I'm new to this whole Sly thing... O0

Good luck with whatever you do but I would at least shave my head.

I agree with Sarge on this one......... Good Luck Tim!

Timbo1941

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
Start with the headshave Tim, just take care of that. I wouldn't do any of the other stuff though.
Leave with a good attitude and your head held high, and start your new life.  O0

Head held high...yes... O0

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
I think going to work shaved for your last day will show others that you are committed to making an important life change.  Could be a subtle way of sticking it to "the man" too?  ;D
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Timbo1941

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
I think going to work shaved for your last day will show others that you are committed to making an important life change.  Could be a subtle way of sticking it to "the man" too?  ;D

Classic answer. Thanks

I had never even thought of "sticking it to the man" before because until now I was the man! I hadn't thought of that before.  ???

This will be a major change in status and perspective.  8)

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »
I would recommend a new pair of shades too.

Probably a pair that gives you that edgy look you always wanted.

Some radical Oakley's or some wicked War Farer's.
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa