Author Topic: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald  (Read 13855 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »
I think going to work shaved for your last day will show others that you are committed to making an important life change.  Could be a subtle way of sticking it to "the man" too?  ;D

Talking about "sticking it to the man" is all fine and good, but remember before ever burning bridges and relationships, business--you may need a loan to start your own business-- or personal, that friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate. 

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
I once talked to an older gentleman who told the story of a woman, who on her last day of work was planning to tell everyone in her office just what she thought about them.  Everyone was going to get an ear-full!  My friend suggested that she should re-think that.
 He advised that for 5 minutes of gratification, she could never undo what she said.  His advise was to thank the boss for 20 years of paychecks and wish everyone a fond farewell and keep to herself how glad she was that all the coworkers were now out of her life.  
I don't know on what terms you are with your soon to be ex-coworkers, but be careful.  Your hair may grow back if you choose so, but you can't un-ring a bell.  If you want to make a statement, a shaved head will do that!  
Have fun and enjoy the beginning of your new life!!!

Timbo1941

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
I think going to work shaved for your last day will show others that you are committed to making an important life change.  Could be a subtle way of sticking it to "the man" too?  ;D

Talking about "sticking it to the man" is all fine and good, but remember before ever burning bridges and relationships, business--you may need a loan to start your own business-- or personal, that friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate. 

I'm just having some fun with this, Saint. This really is a major trasformation across the board and I am a little tense about it - but I know it's the right thing.

The "burning bridges" reference was to wearing coveralls and work boots instead of my business suit and wingtips on my last day at work. I don't really see myself doing that. If I show up bald they will be shocked - no doubt about it - and react very differently from someone who came in to the job without hair. I'm not sure what to do about that last day - but I won't deliberately offend anyone. This is a friendly leaving on my part and I have no enemies (that I know of...!) at the bank.

On the other hand the ones that I know where I will be working do think I'm making a big mistake - and they know nothing about the head shave. I will definitely be losing most of my business friends, although we can still do business at some point. But they do think I'm a little crazy to do this....So I can't please everyone... O0

Timbo1941

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
I once talked to an older gentleman who told the story of a woman, who on her last day of work was planning to tell everyone in her office just what she thought about them.  Everyone was going to get an ear-full!  My friend suggested that she should re-think that.
 He advised that for 5 minutes of gratification, she could never undo what she said.  His advise was to thank the boss for 20 years of paychecks and wish everyone a fond farewell and keep to herself how glad she was that all the coworkers were now out of her life.  
I don't know on what terms you are with your soon to be ex-coworkers, but be careful.  Your hair may grow back if you choose so, but you can't un-ring a bell.  If you want to make a statement, a shaved head will do that!  
Have fun and enjoy the beginning of your new life!!!

I'm not sure where this is coming from...

I think if you read my posts here that I am not thinking of giving anyone an earfull or telling anyone off. That's not my way of doing things. This is my decision - not theirs - and I have no plans to insult anyone.

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
Timbo,
You're right, I should have read all your posts.
Hope you have fun the last week at the office, and enjoy the new life, free of hair.
Take care, and keep us posted...

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »

Great advice for sure Saintc, namely the unwise practice of burning bridges.  I was more referring to how his shaved head may possibly shock and disconcert his co-workers, and maybe make them step back and evaluate their own lives and choices.  I guess "sticking it to the man" wasn't the best choice of words.  ::)
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Timbo1941

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
I'll say this again - I am not planning on burning bridges.

I am not a fool.

Some of the suggestions would mean burning bridges, and I am not planning on doing that. I was describing what that would mean.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:26:43 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
IMO a last day extravaganza wouldn't make any sense.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
Sounds like some of us assumed you were laid-off or fired, which isn't the case.

In any case, good luck with the new look and job.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
That sure would be a case of "burning my boats". If I ever wanted to return to my old life it would be very, very hard to get a reference.

Why?  Shaving your head would invalidate all the good work you've done and cause your former employers to refuse you a reference?

Timbo1941

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
No - not just cutting off my hair. My point is that the total transformation on the last day of my old job would not leave a good impression.  If I just walked in bald there would be plenty of surprised looks, but probably not much else.

But as I said, the corporate haircutis just part of an entire image that I am giving up and throwing away.

I am taking off my old self and putting on a new one. In my transition, I am taking off all the fancy clothes and uneccsary stuff, as I said, that are part of my current job and replacing it with the clothes I really need for my new job: my Armani suit, cufflinks, white shirt and silk tie and putting on mechanic's coveralls with a a name tag, a new identity, and I am taking off my Italian shoes and even my black dress socks and replacing them with work boots and sweat socks. One belongs to the bank and one belongs to the new job as a mechanic.

In the same way I am taking off my hair and putting on a bald head.

That will be my new image. If I show up on my last day at the bank dressed like a mechanic with a bald head they will wonder why I was doing it - and that would be a fair question.

It would not nullify everything of course, but yes, it would burn some bridges by doing it. The bald head would only be a part of the big change. But I would leave them with a negative view of me that would last a while.

That sure would be a case of "burning my boats". If I ever wanted to return to my old life it would be very, very hard to get a reference.

Why?  Shaving your head would invalidate all the good work you've done and cause your former employers to refuse you a reference?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:45:29 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
Whichever route you take, good luck, friend!!  I have a feeling after you go SLY,  you will think it is a great, great thing and see that is was really NO big deal after all!

Timbo1941

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »

Thanks reb. It is good to have the decision made.

Whichever route you take, good luck, friend!!  I have a feeling after you go SLY,  you will think it is a great, great thing and see that is was really NO big deal after all!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
I'm glad you're going for the shave and you've set a date.  It must be a great feeling to be totally 're-inventing' yourself.  It's something I do from time to time, but never on the scale you are planning!  be sure and post pics when the deed happens.

I'm glad my advice helped you decide.  I agree in one way that the SLY look with a suit on the last day would look cool, but you gotta do what you feel is best.

I'm sort of the opposite: I like the suit and shaved head look, but I also like the jeans and Tshirt SLY look too!

It's great that you are taking control and giving yourself a new image, especially after all this time of being 'the suit guy'.  8) O0

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
There have been several threads over the past months about going sly in a "professional" environment, and at this point in time, Sly has become mainstream enough that it is accepted in most places.  Sly in an Armani suit can be a very distinguished look.

Chicago seems to be an area where sly is widely accepted.  When I went sly, nobody said anything, but I went sly gradually over the course of many months (about 1/8 in at a time).  I'd say get it done after you finish your last day.