Author Topic: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald  (Read 13854 times)

Timbo1941

Re: I Have Decided to Shave My Head Bald
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
Thanks again for the encouaragement. Yes, it is great to take control and create a new image and I am learning as I go. You're exactly right: I have been "the suit guy" since I left college, and nothing else. That is a persona that I am used to. The response is predictable.

But I won't be 'the suit guy' anymore when I am doing oil changes and learning the ropes at the garage!  I know it will be a very different way of life.  I have always worked on cars since I was a boy. But doing it every day is very different, I know. Even if it doesn't work out, at least it will be a change and can lead to other things, and maybe it will be a great choice and I iwll like it from the beginning. The training is going well.

I'm glad you're going for the shave and you've set a date.  It must be a great feeling to be totally 're-inventing' yourself.  It's something I do from time to time, but never on the scale you are planning!  be sure and post pics when the deed happens.

I'm glad my advice helped you decide.  I agree in one way that the SLY look with a suit on the last day would look cool, but you gotta do what you feel is best.

I'm sort of the opposite: I like the suit and shaved head look, but I also like the jeans and Tshirt SLY look too!

It's great that you are taking control and giving yourself a new image, especially after all this time of being 'the suit guy'.  8) O0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:28:45 PM by Timbo1941 »

Timbo1941

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »
That's what I'm planning. And really it is for my self: I want to get rid of the corporate hair as well as my pinstriped suit, tie, briefcase and even my shoes all at once, instead of in stages.  I like the idea of the complete change. I will bring the coveralls to the barber shop, enter as an executive with a full head of hair and leave as a bald blue collar man.  I can have some time on my own to get used to how it feels and see what kind of response I get in a casual way. I feel more control that way.

There have been several threads over the past months about going sly in a "professional" environment, and at this point in time, Sly has become mainstream enough that it is accepted in most places.  Sly in an Armani suit can be a very distinguished look.

Chicago seems to be an area where sly is widely accepted.  When I went sly, nobody said anything, but I went sly gradually over the course of many months (about 1/8 in at a time).  I'd say get it done after you finish your last day.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:01:00 AM by Timbo1941 »

Timbo1941

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Timbo,
You're right, I should have read all your posts.
Hope you have fun the last week at the office, and enjoy the new life, free of hair.
Take care, and keep us posted...

No problem.  O0

I am happy to leave my current job with good memories. I am very dissatisfied and eager to leave because of changes in myself - not because of them.  :)

Timbo1941

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
You mean as a recruiter? In that case I had better bring some spare coveralls and boots and my barber's address in case they want to join me.  O:O

This made me LAUGH... :*))

Ony because you would have to know our VP of finance in the next office.  Very formal and by-the-book and hard-charging. He makes me look relaxed.  ;D

I can see him take one look at my bald head and hear about my plans to go blue collar (which he doesn't know about) and before I finish my sentence he quits his job; his wife and our boss are both in shock; the next second his Italian shoes are off his feet, his tie is in the trash and he is swapping his Brioni suit for coveralls to join me, with a brief stop to shave off his full head of hair (of which he is very proud).    8)

Well - I suppose it could happen. Something like that is happening to me..... 8)

(And please know that I am joking.......no bridge burning - but an interesting picture) ;)

................I was more referring to how his shaved head may possibly shock and disconcert his co-workers, and maybe make them step back and evaluate their own lives and choices. .  ::)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:33:51 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
You know, you made me think about the "blue collar' v "corporate executive" comparison... some of the most dynamic executive types with great presence are sly!

I was only half kidding about your last day... like you, just imagining.  You walk in with your head shaved, full of confidence and pride and when you finish your last day everyone says... "who was that and why did we ever let him leave?"  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Timbo1941

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
That's true Sarge - Mark Mobius is one example.

If I were staying in finance I don't know if I would even be thinking of shaving my head. The head shave is part of the whole transformation = job, clothes, whole identity - and now I decided I will be trading in my car (Lexus) for a truck.

But you may right about the last day. I'm leaning on just waiting - really so I can do the whole change at once. But it's possible. This forum makes me consider ideas I would not have thought of.  8)

You know, you made me think about the "blue collar' v "corporate executive" comparison... some of the most dynamic executive types with great presence are sly!

I was only half kidding about your last day... like you, just imagining.  You walk in with your head shaved, full of confidence and pride and when you finish your last day everyone says... "who was that and why did we ever let him leave?"  O0

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

If I were staying in finance I don't know if I would even be thinking of shaving my head. The head shave is part of the whole transformation = job, clothes, whole identity - and now I decided I will be trading in my car (Lexus) for a truck.

But you may right about the last day. I'm leaning on just waiting - really so I can do the whole change at once. But it's possible. This forum makes me consider ideas I would not have thought of.  8)

I was only half kidding about your last day... like you, just imagining.  You walk in with your head shaved, full of confidence and pride and when you finish your last day everyone says... "who was that and why did we ever let him leave?"  O0

There's an old saying, "be true to yourself".  You have to be you, if that's driving a truck then you'll be happy but if driving a Lexus is what makes you happy, then drive that.  You know what I'm saying?  I could pull off the suit and tie deal and articulate my vocabulary to impress people and even make them believe I am more than I actually am.  On the flip side, you can dress down and dump the high step verbiage but its all an act.  I know it's silly sounding but my signature says "I am what I am, it's all what I am"  Popeye had it right!

Be yourself bro.  Shaving your head is the first step to liberating yourself from "what other people think".  You can't please everyone so you have to please yourself!
Dress how you like.  You might like the tie but just need a bolder color!  ;)

I look at myself and know without a doubt that I look better with hair.  But I like shaving my head and it is for me freedom from the bondage of people pleasing, so sly it is!
I also like blue jeans and t-shirts but on occasion I like to dress up and go to an expensive restaurant or even wear Dockers and a Polo shirt to go to Mc Donald's.  The bottom line is I do it to please myself and nobody else.  That's freedom bro!  O0
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:28:51 PM by Sgt. Pate »

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Timbo1941

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »
Absolutely Sarge. You're right.  O0

I don't feel comfortable with the way I look and dress anymore and how I spend my day - and it's gotten much stronger in recent months. I feel constrained. It feels false to me - like I'm putting on a show for other people. So I am gettng rid of it completely and starting something that feels right. It's hard to explain. It sounded crazy but when I started the mechanic training I thought: I LIKE this. It will take plenty of work but I believe I can do it.

I am entering a whole new life and it will take time to become part of it, I know.  I won't fit in at first. But I will work at it. And if it doesn't work I will try something else.

But wearing a business suit to work is not what I want now - that I do know.  Even small things like keeping my shoes polished and tying a tie every work day are part of a life I don't want anymore.

I think the truck is much more practical now - and not just a part of the new image. I plan to travel around into parts of the country I haven't seen - mountains and deserts - where I have friends, and a truck is much better for that. I don't want to have to worry as much about how things look and seem.

It's an 'itch' like the desire to shave off my hair and go bald. It's like there is a different man inside slowly trying to get out and now really pushing hard to be heard.  O0

But you may right about the last day. I'm leaning on just waiting - really so I can do the whole change at once. But it's possible. This forum makes me consider ideas I would not have thought of.  8)

I was only half kidding about your last day... like you, just imagining.  You walk in with your head shaved, full of confidence and pride and when you finish your last day everyone says... "who was that and why did we ever let him leave?"  O0

There's an old saying, "be true to yourself".  You have to be you, if that's driving a truck then you'll be happy but if driving a Lexus is what makes you happy, then drive that.  You know what I'm saying?  I could pull off the suit and tie deal and articulate my vocabulary to impress people and even make them believe I am more than I actually am.  On the flip side, you can dress down and dump the high step verbiage but its all an act.  I know it's silly sounding but my signature says "I am what I am, it's all what I am"  Popeye had it right!

Be yourself bro.  Shaving your head is the first step to liberating yourself from "what other people think".  You can't please everyone so you have to please yourself!
Dress how you like.  You might like the tie but just need a bolder color!  ;)

I look at myself and know without a doubt that I look better with hair.  But I like shaving my head and it is for me freedom from the bondage of people pleasing, so sly it is!
I also like blue jeans and t-shirts but on occasion I like to dress up and go to an expensive restaurant or even wear Dockers and a Polo shirt to go to Mc Donald's.  The bottom line is I do it to please myself and nobody else.  That's freedom bro!  O0

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
Right on bro... then we've got your back!  O0

Might I suggest what I drive:    O:O

Timbo1941

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »

Great idea  O0 8)

Right on bro... then we've got your back!  O0

Might I suggest what I drive:    O:O

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Nothing quite like a good truck.  I drive a 1993 bright red Toyota that I bought new 17 years ago.  It has 160K on it and runs great, hope to drive it for another 20 years.

Timbo1941

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »

It looks like the right choice for now for me. I haven't taken time for travel and when the first vacation time comes I'm planning on seeing some of the states I haven't seen.

Nothing quite like a good truck.  I drive a 1993 bright red Toyota that I bought new 17 years ago.  It has 160K on it and runs great, hope to drive it for another 20 years.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »
I agree with BillonBass....... Get your head shaved on the Thursday after work & then go into the office on your last day as a new, proud & happy bald guy & "stick it to the man", so to speak.

God bless you in your decision. :)
BaldBill

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
One thing about it, they can't fire you since you are on your last day.  But seriously, do what you feel most comfortable with.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »
Toyotas are amazing.  My dad recently retired his 1986 Toyota pickup.  It has about 560k miles on it, original engine.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Enter your email address: