Author Topic: Thoughts About Shaving My Head  (Read 16232 times)

Timbo1941

Thoughts About Shaving My Head
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »
I am considering shaving my head as part of a general significant change in my life.

Here's my situation: I'm leaving my career as a corporate banker for a blue collar job. I have had the usual "executive cut", neat, parted on the side and fairly thick on top, tapered down the back and sides, for my entire career and I'm clean shaven.

But I am starting a new career as a mechanic in about two weels. It's a major break with my white collar banker past and it even feels like a whole new identity is being given to me.

So I'm getting rid of my old identity: my Armani pinstriped suits, my neckties, my fancy shiny wingtips, my briefcase and my corporate office, and then the thought occurred to me - maybe - I'll shave off my expensive corporate haircut, too, and throw out all of my hair along with everything else?

I'll go bald for the first time. I have plenty of thick hair and I don't have hair loss.  But the idea is interesting.  I associate it with freedom and experimenting. (Has anyone else thought that too?)

My ex said it might be interesting to try. She's the only one I told.

Also - Maybe a beard? I'm used to my clean-cut exec image. I really like the idea of doing something different and looking at the world differently even as I start a whole new career. But I have to admit I am note sure what the reaction will be - or how it will look!

I'm wondering how others have deal with the hesitation. And if you went through with it, were you glad you did?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:13:47 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Thoughts About Shaving My Head
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
Where there's an itch, scratch it.

I say go for it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
Already replied in your intro thread before reading this...but wow man!  The change in lifestyle you have already taken regarding your career is major....this is just hair...and like I said before....it will grow back. So go ahead and DO IT!!!!!!!!

Timbo1941

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »
Thanks Tyler - yes, it is like an itch.  ;D

Good point Rob. The head shave is a smaller change than the much bigger change in careers, I guess. I knew there would be layoffs at my company a while ago and decided to be proactive, and that led to a completely different road that started with a joke from a mechanic friend that he would train me - and that led to a mechanic's training class. So, yeah, in two weeks the business suit, the tie and the Italian shoes are coming off and the coveralls and work boots are going on and replacing them. It is a whole new identity in many ways.

It's a challenging time of taking risks after a life of being too cautious. So shaving off my hair would be a part of that. i would like to be proactive there as well. Maybe my hair will join everything else that is now part of my work life!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:34:12 AM by Timbo1941 »

Offline jaypksfo

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
go for it!!  I did it because I got an itch to try something new - I have a full head of hair like yourself, but there is nothing like that first time you feel your head and it is smooth and slick. . . It grows back quick if you dont like it, but I guarantee you will!!

Timbo1941

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »
Thanks Jay - I didn't know if there would be many guys here with a full head of hair.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
And just think.....no hair to get any grease and grime in once you really start tearing those motors apart!!  Be sure to post a pic once you do the deed!!

Timbo1941

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
Ha! That's another reason: I'll be going from a job where an expensive haircut was part of the uniform and an asset, to a job where no one will care and it will serve no purpose. But I'll be learning a lot about going from white to blue collar!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »
Thanks Jay - I didn't know if there would be many guys here with a full head of hair.

We have a fair number of guys here who are Bald by Choice so this isn't 100% unusual.

I applaud you loudly for making such a bold move with your career and your life.

Shave your head, grow a goatee, and get yourself a Harley...... then the transformation will be complete!!  :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Timbo1941

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
Well, that would be next: sell my yuppie car and buy a Harley!

Thanks for the encouragement. The people at my current job who know where I am going in my career think I'm crazy for the most part. One guy said "You're going to be a grease monkey!" This is the first place where there is support. I just figure that mechanics will be more important in the coming years than bankers.

As for the head shave: If I do decide to do the deed - and it looks more likely - I will ask my barber to do it. I'm not sure about cutting off my own hair the first time.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
Timbo, I too posted on your introduction.  About two years ago, I got the itch and also lost a bet to my sly neighbor.  So I had the barber scratch the itch for me.  I also was a white collar worker in the local government office.  Very straight laced atmosphere. Three years ago I had enough of the office politics and retired.   I too had a full head of hair and decided to become BBC.  As I said, that was two years ago.  I embraced the baldness to the extent that I am currently going through laser treatments.  While I enjoy the slick feeling and freedom of haircuts, I hated the shadow that plagues most of us.  My feeling is that if I'm going to sport the bald look, I want total baldness.  And of course I bought a Harley to complete the freedom of the white collar world.  All I can say is that the ball is in your court.  Either score or sit on the bench. lol.  And of course it is your decision and good luck on your new profrssion.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Timbo1941

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
Great post papa don! O:O

So you were a white collar man and left it behind and also are bald by choice. That really connects with how I am thinking now. My job is very straitlaced too and I fit right in for years, but iit is only since I started looking into a blue collar job that I started feeling dissatisfied with being a 'suit'. I don't even know why: I guess I had never considered anything besides the executive track and corporate success.

I stopped by my barber today during lunch and asked if he had any experience shaving heads.

He asked "Who wants to shave his head?"

I said "Maybe me"

He didn't believe it. He then asked me if I lost my job! I told him about the change to becoming a mechanic-in-training. He was stunned. Then he believed me about the head shave - so if and when I go through with it, he will do the job.  He told me I would become a real workman doing a real job like him and that he would do it for free. After all these years he will now see me as having a real job.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:07:16 PM by Timbo1941 »

Timbo1941

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
What it comes down to is: How will people respond to my new look? I am excited and fascinated by the idea of changes, but I admit I fear it as well. I will be treated differently, I guess. I know the answer is to not care what others think but I'm not there yet all the way.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
Don't worry too much about what might happen. We all think the whole world is rotating around ourselves, but it isn't. I'm sure you can handle any situation that might occur.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »
What it comes down to is: How will people respond to my new look? I am excited and fascinated by the idea of changes, but I admit I fear it as well. I will be treated differently, I guess. I know the answer is to not care what others think but I'm not there yet all the way.
Well if your bank is in a major metropolitan area, no response at all.  My office is in a building w/ about 9 floors of Captial One offices, and loads of guys either sly or tight, tight buzz.  Surprised your bank isn't the same, all the banks here have lots of sly guys at all levels.

Enter your email address: