Author Topic: Thoughts About Shaving My Head  (Read 16228 times)

Timbo1941

Re: Thoughts About Shaving My Head
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I went SLY for the 4th of July---since then---My wife and I have found each other again, my son received another stripe-ARMY-I became a grandpa-DO IT, MAN!  Good Luck!

It sounds like going bald had some great results. Looks great with the dark glasses.  8)

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
A whole new world, brother!!!  Could it be I am finally comfortable again??  Good luck, my friend--this is a GREAT fraternity.

Timbo1941

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
A whole new world, brother!!!  Could it be I am finally comfortable again??  Good luck, my friend--this is a GREAT fraternity.

Comfortable - yeah - that really rings true for me. Wow this feels good to talk about.  O0

I am not comfortable anymore with my life and my career and my image. Maybe that is the itch (to use Tyler's word) that makes me think about getting rid of my hair.

It's the itch that is making me leave the only career I have known. When I first started talking about the mechanic training class with a sceptical friend, he said after a while "I was going to try and talk you out of it because you wouldn't belong there, but you've got an inner blue collar guy inside and you might as well accept him now and let him live"

Now maybe there is an inner bald guy trying to get free inside me and he's putting up a fight to be heard. It's just that the old me is still trying to hold on to life! ;D

Timbo1941

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
.......think you'll find you act slightly different with a shaved SLY head: maybe more confident.  I think it should suit you. 8)

I never thought of that. That really made me think.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
I say just go for it.  I'll bet you will look great!  I have never had a barber shave my head, but I would like to give it try sometime.  I used clippers for many years, then went to beard trimmer to get it real close.  Last Halloween I cut my hair into a mowhawk.  Kept the mowhawk for a couple of months, then shaved it off and never looked back.  I am SLY for life.  Love being bald.

Daniel

Timbo1941

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
I say just go for it.  I'll bet you will look great!  I have never had a barber shave my head, but I would like to give it try sometime.  I used clippers for many years, then went to beard trimmer to get it real close.  Last Halloween I cut my hair into a mowhawk.  Kept the mowhawk for a couple of months, then shaved it off and never looked back.  I am SLY for life.  Love being bald.

Daniel

Thans for the coments. Question for you: How long did it take you to make up your mind to shave off your hair?  I started thinking about it a few weeks ago - it just came into my mind - and I have been thinking about it every day for the last two weeks.  Did you think about it much first?

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
Get your head shaved & don't worry what others will think. Hey, it's your decision after all! I promise that you will love the experience & will not regret it.

All the best, matey.
BaldBill

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
I have actually been shaving my head on and off for about 20 years.  I hate having hair on my head and body.  I shave everyday.  I used very close clippers twice a week for years.  I guess this last time that I shaved, it felt very different more liberating.  I seem to get more attention from both men and women and I like it.  I think you should do the deed this weekend and post new pics of you being sly.  Like my bald brothers have told you, you will love it.  :@`

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »
Go for it and enjoy being SLY BALD - - -Remember it grows back if you do not like it

I have never been so happy in my life  - -I love being completely BALD  - -

Timbo1941

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
If I go through with it, it will be after my current job at the bank ends next week. My barber told me he would shave my head for free (after years of paying him plenty of money for my expensive haircuts  ;))  He said he was looking forward to it.  ???

I won't be in the financial district again for long time after that; my new job is at a garage in a neighborhood far from downtown so I wmay give him one last visit before leaving that office building for good!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
Tim, get your head shaved or buzzed from your old barber, take one last look around and kiss that whole area goodbye. A positive change awaits, so get on with your new life, new look and new attitude.   O0

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »
Tim,

Are you in San Francisco?

Timbo1941

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
Tim,

Are you in San Francisco?

No - Chicago

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
.......think you'll find you act slightly different with a shaved SLY head: maybe more confident.  I think it should suit you. 8)

I never thought of that. That really made me think.

Glad to be of help! O0  What I also meant i guess is that the new haircut will help you leave the old you behind: give you a clean slate: you can be who you want to be.  Sounds corny maybe, but it's true.  Also, you won't be just another corporate guy with a corporate haircut: you'll show up more, and people will notice you, and that will give you a new-found confidence. 8)

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
Glad to know you have a date for your headshave.  As many have said you will not regret it. 

You brought up some interesting questions and those have gotten some great replies.  One made me stop and think, how long did I think about shaving off my hair before doing it ... for me well over 20 years.  Now 13 years of shaving later all I can think is how I wished I hadn't wasted all those years wanting to be bald when I could have been!

I made a major career change in 1996 and made the decision that becoming bald would be a part of that change.  I went from a very "proper" white collar job to working in a trade that it just didn't matter whether I had hair or not.  (Much like what you are getting ready to do.)  I went from a very appropriate business haircut to a #3 buzz and then a #2 buzz and then a #1 buzz and in November of 1997 I took a razor to the #1 buzz and off it came.  In 2002 I made the decision to return to my former choice of careers but decided that I was going to do it bald.  Started interviewing and in 5 weeks had a job where I still am today.  They really don't know me any way but bald and even though it is high profile and "white collar" no one questions, except those who are too interested in shaving their heads. 

In 2004 I started on my journey with tats, and although everything I have can be covered at work, I have well over 50 and plan to get more.  My family and wife have accepted all this without many questions and I am so happy, way more happy than I ever was back before I shaved bald.  I could still have an almost full head of thick hair, the crown is bald now, but I choose not to.  I guess what I am saying is that you need to do what makes you happy.  Like Tyler told you, once the itch strikes, there is no way to make it go away but to scratch it.  We will look forward to hearing about your transformation.  If you begin to question it between now and then, just come on back and talk to us that have taken the plunge and aren't looking back.

PS  I have a college degree and over 100 hours of graduate study with a Masters.  It was great to move out of the "stiff white collar" world for me.  Even though I decided to come back into 7 years later, I am a far better person, far kinder, and far more understanding because of those 7 years of manual work.  It brought down many barriers between me and those I deal with everyday in my present job and has given me a totally new prospective on life.  Of course shaving my head helped so much as well!  Good Luck!

Enter your email address: