Author Topic: Thoughts About Shaving My Head  (Read 16227 times)

Timbo1941

Re: Thoughts About Shaving My Head
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi Noggin:

Yeah - that's true - a little self-absorbtion on my part.  ;)

I just read your greetings Noggin - your comment was almost exactly the same as my barber's when I just saw him again;  I should mention he is almost bald.  I was leaving the building and he said "I'll make you one of us in a few minutes! I'm always glad to help create another baldy."

Funny - I have had my hair cut there for years and he is always politie (calling me 'sir, etc.) but never friendly. Now he treats me like a friend.  :)

Timbo1941

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
Saintc-  yes, there are some guys with a buzz, but none that are bald.
But I am really thinking  about all of the other changes that are all part of a major transformation and a head shave is just part of that.  I'll be a mechanic (still in trainng) in two weeks and I will be entering a new life in many ways. So that is going through my thoughts as I write. It's a new door opening and a great opportunity but there will be many adjustments so it is all part of the same transformation from white to blue collar, executive to mechanic, etc - it's a break with the past in many ways.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:37:23 PM by Timbo1941 »

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »
Hey Timbo,

I say go for it.  You will love how it looks, feels and the looks you will get along with the smiles from both women and men.  There is some kind of unwritten rule that sly usually acknowledge each other with a slight smile or a nod.  Once you go sly, let me know if you experience this too.  I am sly by choice also.  Enjoy :)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
Welcome Timbo!

I've worked a few different types of jobs before and after college, office and outdoor, and I'll always remember the two summers of my first two years in college. 

I worked for my girlfriend's dad (a general contractor) doing manual labor in the hot Georgia sun, doing anything from breaking concrete slabs to framing barns.  At the end of each day I could walk away from the site, turn around, and look at what I had helped create.  It was more fulfilling than any office job I've ever held (doesn't quite come close to playing music, though I don't really consider that as work  :)).

I hope your new career path and smooth dome treat you well!
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
Saintc-  yes, there are some guys with a buzz, but none that are bald.
But I am really thinking  about all of the other changes that are all part of a major transformation and a head shave is just part of that.  I'll be a mechanic (still in trainng) in two weeks and I will be entering a new life in many ways. So that is going through my thoughts as I write. It's a new door opening and a great opportunity but there will be many adjustments so it is all part of the same transformation from white to blue collar, executive to mechanic, etc - it's a break with the past in many ways.

Maybe you're just in the wrong bank--that conservative they probably only loan to people who don't need money! >:D  Every bank I know of has sly guys, and I'm an attorney who used to do a lot of transactional work and that meant bankers both here, Charlotte and NYC. 

Timbo1941

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
Hey Timbo,

I say go for it.  You will love how it looks, feels and the looks you will get along with the smiles from both women and men.  There is some kind of unwritten rule that sly usually acknowledge each other with a slight smile or a nod.  Once you go sly, let me know if you experience this too.  I am sly by choice also.  Enjoy :)

It does seem to be a brotherhood.   :)

(|8-)

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
A transition is a good time because you will be meeting a lot of people.  Then in a few months, you will know as many people who can't imagine you with hair as remember you with hair.  And both groups are equally irrational about what they prefer...

(PS. I moved 9,000 miles around the time I started going SLY.)

Timbo1941

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
I worked for my girlfriend's dad (a general contractor) doing manual labor in the hot Georgia sun, doing anything from breaking concrete slabs to framing barns.  At the end of each day I could walk away from the site, turn around, and look at what I had helped create.  It was more fulfilling than any office job I've ever held (doesn't quite come close to playing music, though I don't really consider that as work  :)).

I hope your new career path and smooth dome treat you well!

Thanks for the welcome Bill. I made the decision to move to a manual job because I knew there were layoffs coming and I would be out of a job soon anyway. I don't think I would have thought I would ever move from a career in finance to a blue collar job in ealry middle age. But I want the satisfaction of a job well done and i want to get away from the rigid world of the corporate office.

My mechanic at the garage I have always gone to said "If you ever get the pink slip I'll train you to be a grease monkey" He was joking, but I took him up on it.

A shaved head would be part of that new life.

Timbo1941

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 05:32:38 PM »

Maybe you're just in the wrong bank--that conservative they probably only loan to people who don't need money! >:D  Every bank I know of has sly guys, and I'm an attorney who used to do a lot of transactional work and that meant bankers both here, Charlotte and NYC. 

Ha!  ;D

Yes, it's very conservative and traditional. I have been rebelling against it inside lately.

But it doesn't matter now anyway. My job at the bank ends in ten days and after that - it's cars and trucks and a garage! I picked up some timberlands today at walmart - and paid about 20% of the cost of one pair of my wingtips. There will be some perks to this new job.

Timbo1941

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
A transition is a good time because you will be meeting a lot of people.  Then in a few months, you will know as many people who can't imagine you with hair as remember you with hair.  And both groups are equally irrational about what they prefer...

(PS. I moved 9,000 miles around the time I started going SLY.)

That's what I am thinking too. I have never been to the garage where I will be working.

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
I went SLY for the 4th of July---since then---My wife and I have found each other again, my son received another stripe-ARMY-I became a grandpa-DO IT, MAN!  Good Luck!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
It sounds a very exciting idea: ditching the old 'you' for a totally new 'you' : I say go for it, and you'll probably love the freedom and the change.  people will treat you different, and you'll be able to break away from the suit image.  The good thing about being SLY is that casual works just as good as a suit, and both styles look extra cool with a bald head.

I too have a full head of hair, and I shaved it all off 4 years back: best thing I ever done.
 8)  Welcome, by the way! O0

Timbo1941

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:29 PM »
It sounds a very exciting idea: ditching the old 'you' for a totally new 'you' : I say go for it, and you'll probably love the freedom and the change.  people will treat you different, and you'll be able to break away from the suit image. ....

It is exciting.

Question for you Rob: How would they treat me different. i mean - in your opinion?

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
I just think people judge people different depending how they dress/wear their hair.  In a positive way I mean.  I think people will accept you more in your new career, at least subconciously, and you'll probably look younger too. It's not just about other people, I think you'll find you act slightly different with a shaved SLY head: maybe more confident.  I think it should suit you. 8)

Timbo1941

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
I just think people judge people different depending how they dress/wear their hair.  In a positive way I mean.  I think people will accept you more in your new career, at least subconciously, and you'll probably look younger too. It's not just about other people, I think you'll find you act slightly different with a shaved SLY head: maybe more confident.  I think it should suit you. 8)

Thanks a lot - that makes a lot of sense. It would probably allow me to be accepted more quickly in the new world I am entering.

Enter your email address: