Author Topic: Is it Time to Remove the Hairpiece?  (Read 16720 times)

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
Is it Time to Remove the Hairpiece?
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
I wore a hairpiece for 13 years.  At the start I was very self-conscious but in time I became more and more comfortable with it.  I knew I would not wear it forever.  I used to set goals for myself, when I became married I would take it off-didn't happen.  When I turned 30 I would take it off-didn't happen.  In time something very interesting became to happen: I would look at bald guys and feel very envious of their freedom.  It had been at least five years of wanting to be free of the rug and always falling back into the security of fooling myself.  Oh, how I loathed the expense, the maintenance, the constant worrying when someone I was talking with would look at my hair, but I could not see a way out of it.
 I would hear of people who were balding being so nervous about whether to shave off their remaining hair, knowing full well that it would grow back.  I was very envious of this, as for a toupee wearer, when it comes off there is no going back.  And the transition would be extreme, from a full head of someone else's hair, to nothing.  What would people say, how would they react?  And so another year would pass with me wearing the dreaded, expensive, cumbersome hairpiece.  Finally, I found this forum and made up my mind to stop the insanity and be free.  I set a date, gathered my supplies and did the deed.  Words cannot describe the immediate sense of freedom.  I was free.  I was in control.  No longer did I have to worry about appointments, the expense, or maintenance.  I was free!  You could not wipe the smile off of my face for any amount of money.

Before I removed the piece and shaved I worried a lot about the condition of my scalp, after all it had been covered for well over a decade.  There were some issues with how my scalp looked for a few days (to me anyway) but nothing that a little Bio Oil and sunlight couldn’t take care of.

Now, for seeing people for the first time, I was honestly a little nervous, but remarkably I was much more excited.  After the first person the anxiety goes away and I was looking forward to the reaction of others.  Did I get asked why?  It felt like about a million times, thought it was much, much less.  I had anticipated this and had a few zingers for a response.  Did most people have no comment?  Yes, yes, yes!  The vast majority of people that I knew simply had no comment, nothing, nil, zilch!  Were there negative comments?  A very, very small number that never deterred my love for the taste of freedom. 

Now that I have been sly for nearly two months I can honestly say that I have never once regretted my decision!  Not even for a second.  After the first couple of weeks I thought about being bald less and less and it is now just who I am.  I see pictures of how I looked before and never once do I long for my “hair”.  I look at the photos and feel embarrassed for wearing someone else’s for so long.

If you are reading this and considering should I remove the hairpiece or not, I understand.  It is a BIG transition.  You Will look different.  You have been brainwashed for years into being someone you are not.  In hindsight taking off the rug was an easy thing to do.  I just did it.  But it took me years to get to that place where I was confident enough to just do it.  If I could change anything it would have been to have done it years ago!  I can’t imagine any hairpiece wearer ever regretting removing it!  I don’t, and you won’t either!  Your days of freedom await, they are LONG overdue!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Is it Time to Remove the Hairpiece?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:58 AM »
Outstanding post TTBM! I never wore a rug but I buzzed my hair short for about seven years before shaving. When I look at photos from that time frame and see the little islands of hair on top of my head I think.... "What the Hell was I thinking???".

It never bothered me because I've always been a guy that pretty much nothing bothered. Even when I shaved I just sort of did it one day. No big deal..... though the change was pretty significant!!!

Freedom for $9.99!!! .......... The cost of a blade and some shave cream. A much better investment than the raccoon on top of the head look.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:45:49 AM »
 O0

This belongs on the Blog, really.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
Fantastic post!  If this doesn't knock some men off the fence, nothing will.  One question:  Who did the art work on the head.  Priceless!!! 
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:31 AM »
Hi timetobeme -- as a former wearer of a dead possum on the top of my head I can relate completely to your story.  Congrats on breaking through to freedom.   I crossed the 8 month mark at the beginning of July and am never looking back.   Like I tell my daughters -- hair is for girls -- dead possums are for the road.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
Fantastic post!! Thank you for sharing that with us and those that are struggling with if they can remove their piece or not.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
GREAT GREAT GREAT  post - - -Thank you  - -Everyone with a "piece" should be made to read this

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story.

If I may ask, did you put the rug on and off every day or was it glued on for a longer period of time?
Secondly, can you describe how you felt about it when you wore it? Like some kind of hat, or a prosthesis, or what?

Just curious.  :)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »
As all of the guys have said, fantastic post.  Thanks for sharing.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Stormin Norm

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Congrats on the freedom! O0

Great post! O0

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
Between your great story and Todd's, it's quite clear that the answer to the question:

Is it time to remove the hairpiece?

Is always: YES!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Between your great story and Todd's, it's quite clear that the answer to the question:

Is it time to remove the hairpiece?

Is always: YES!
what bootedbear said. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »
YUP!  What bootedbear said!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Mauricio

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:18:13 AM »
Great post,
My big day is the day after tomorrow (Tuesday).  I'm going to pull off the hairpiece and shave my head.  Though I must admit that I am as nervous as can be.  My stomach is in knots and a great deal of fear is creeping in.  The fear has actually kept me from sleeping, thus the 4:15 am post.  TTBM, what zingers did you use?  Also, what is Bio Oil?

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
Congratulations TTBM great post, sounds like what I went through when I decided to get rid of the stupid rug. How dumb could I have been to wear that thing for all those years thinking I was fooling everyone.. NOT!  Mauricio, don't sweat it, just do it. You will notice that noone will really have that much to say. Just don't make a big deal about it. If someone notices just say that it's summer and you decided to shave to keep cool and if you like it, you plan to keep it then just never go back to the rug. You won't want to, it feels soooo good. To gain more confidence in yourself, go out more and more even if it's to Walmart just to walk around and to see that noone really looks at you. And don't hide behind a cap (except in the sun) you've already hid behind the rug. Anyway guys, congratulations and welcome to freedom.