Author Topic: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?  (Read 122124 times)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
I'm having a lot of problems with presbyopia

You may end up with a bi-focals prescription. This is where I am now. Rather than bi-focals glasses, I've kept one pair of glasses for distance, and a separate pair with a stronger prescription for reading.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
I wear Oakley rimless prescription glasses. They're very comfortable. I love them, but they're a bit on the pricey side.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
I   met a guy in Bermuda in June  - -he was wearing Oakley glasses   - -I asked him about the glasses and he answered that they are the glasses a bald  looks best in - -They were the Oakley glasses I am wearing  - - -I think they show off the bald shiny head  with the straight back sides - - -They are the best glasses I have ever had.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
I can never decide whether contact lenses or conventional glasses are the bigger nuisance. Both have their plusses and minuses and how I would answer the question depends on the day. I usually wear contacts during the day but my eyes appreciate the occasional day off from them (like today).  I know I'm going to need a new prescription soon and that will create a whole new set of issues.   :-\
Did you consider buying Oakleys?
They offer almost all their frames with subscription glasses (clear or tinted), and are imo a nice choice for the sly look.
I have to schedule an eye exam for after the first of the year. I'm having a lot of problems with presbyopia but I'm not eliigble for an exam until the new year. I'm sure I'll need a new prescription and probably new frames then.  I'll check out the Oakleys.

For presbyopia, & contacts--suggest you at least try the multi-focal contacts.  They take a little adjustment at first, but if they work for you it's like taking 10 years off your eyes.  No matter what frame you chose or prefer, bifocals suck! 

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
No matter what frame you chose or prefer, bifocals suck! 

Agreed.

Twice my optician has offered me bi-focals. Twice I've declined.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
I have progressive lenses and while they're a tad more expensive than bifocals, I got used to them in a matter of days.

(Also overdue for an eye exam -- and I always need a new prescription. Dang, my eyes suck)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
No matter what frame you chose or prefer, bifocals suck! 

Agreed.

Twice my optician has offered me bi-focals. Twice I've declined.

I think fiddling with two separate pairs of glasses is worse.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
I've had progressive lenses for about eight years and was able to adjust to them very quickly.  They're more expensive than regular bi-focals, but a lot easier to use than two pairs of glasses.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
I prefer glasses without rims myself.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
I just looked at some Oakleys online.  It's the same dilemma -- they all seem to be rectangular and I don't really like how I look in rectangular frames.  I suppose I'll have to try some on sometime and see if I can find something that works.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
I think "progressive" lenses and "no-line bifocals" are the same thing.  The effect for me is the same--I have some I use when I take my contacts out, but essentially, for me at least, it's the same effect.  Okay to read in bed at night, but for full time use, forget about it. 

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
Razor, I like the glass frames that you have. They look good on you.

Mango, The Oakley glasses look great on you and compliment your great looking sly dome.

I tried contacts a long time ago. They did not work out too well for me due to my astigmitism in my right eye.

I now wear progressive bi focals and they work out well. As long as they are in proper adjustment they work out well for me.

benlen

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 07:57:54 PM »
I just looked at some Oakleys online.  It's the same dilemma -- they all seem to be rectangular and I don't really like how I look in rectangular frames.  I suppose I'll have to try some on sometime and see if I can find something that works.

Razor, are there any Oakley stores near where you live? I live in Maine, and though it's pretty barren up here, there's a couple oakley stores/lenscrafters that would have oakley frames, perhaps even optical frames, for you to try.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
I think "progressive" lenses and "no-line bifocals" are the same thing.  The effect for me is the same--I have some I use when I take my contacts out, but essentially, for me at least, it's the same effect.  Okay to read in bed at night, but for full time use, forget about it. 

I'll need a pair for the very same reason.  I tend to watch TV in bed and surf around the web on my tablet at the same time, and I need to be able to switch back and forth between the TV and tablet without having to switch glasses or take them on and off.    It's very annoying.

I can read with my contacts a lot better than I can with my glasses for some reason, even though the prescription is the same.  Perhaps because the contact lens moves with the eye?  I usually have to take the contacts out by 9 pm at the latest because my eyes are usually too tired or dry to keep wearing them any longer than that.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »

Razor, are there any Oakley stores near where you live? I live in Maine, and though it's pretty barren up here, there's a couple oakley stores/lenscrafters that would have oakley frames, perhaps even optical frames, for you to try.

They had a few different kinds of Oakleys at Lenscrafters the last time I was there shopping for frames, but nothing that I really liked.  The selection was very poor and not just for the Oakleys.  Those big box opticians do not have the wide variety of choices that they used to.

My problem is that I tend to find something in the store that I think I like and then when I get home I'm not so sure about them anymore.  I do think it's harder to find something that looks good with a bald head because without hair, the glasses are more of a focal point.