Author Topic: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?  (Read 122090 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
I can never decide whether contact lenses or conventional glasses are the bigger nuisance. Both have their plusses and minuses and how I would answer the question depends on the day. I usually wear contacts during the day but my eyes appreciate the occasional day off from them (like today).  I know I'm going to need a new prescription soon and that will create a whole new set of issues.   :-\

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »
These frames are not currently considered stylish but they are the only kind that suit me.  I don't look good in rectangular frames at all:

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
Contacts can end up costing more in the long run when compared to a pair of prescription glasses of reasonable cost.  My contacts cost anywhere from $3-500/ 6 months (depending on the source), but my glasses + lenses only cost that once (aside from lense upgrades, which I haven't needed in 2 years). 

I prefer my daily contact lenses over my glasses and wear them about 90% of the time.  The glasses provide slightly better vision but I'm constantly cleaning them and readjusting them.  With contacts I can just put them in in the morning and forget about them.  Contacts are better for most physical activities, too.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
These frames are not currently considered stylish but they are the only kind that suit me.  I don't look good in rectangular frames at all:
Same here Razor. When I was picking out these frames, the optician said "Oh, you like the retro frames!"

You'd have thought I had picked out bell bottoms and tie-dye.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Same here Razor. When I was picking out these frames, the optician said "Oh, you like the retro frames!"

You'd have thought I had picked out bell bottoms and tie-dye.

It's everybody else that has the retro frames; the big bulky plastic ones that I hated wearing in the 70s seem to be back at the moment.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »

I prefer my daily contact lenses over my glasses and wear them about 90% of the time.  The glasses provide slightly better vision but I'm constantly cleaning them and readjusting them.  With contacts I can just put them in in the morning and forget about them.  Contacts are better for most physical activities, too.

I find the contacts provide better vision, particularly for reading.  I can't seem to read comfortably with my current glasses at all but the contacts aren't really a problem.  I don't know why; the prescription is supposed to be the same.

And you're right, contacts are better for  physical activities.

theman

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »
I think the reason being that the contacts are right against the eye.  Which is why they are clearer.  Some days my eyes get so dry which I use Systane Lube drops for , and then allgery season.  Style of glass's, suits, etc. they saw will go out in in 10 years come back in again.  Hair has not done that LOL !
Once it goes out been only growing on becoming SLY !

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
And you're right, contacts are better for  physical activities.

This is the only reason why I'd consider wearing contacts.

In the rain, I can either cycle and my glasses get covered with drops of water. Or I can cycle without my glasses. Either way, it's no fun.

benlen

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
It's funny how some of the older guys here look at horn rimmed glasses and flinch, while younger men, women, and "hipsters" are looking back towards older/heavier styles of glasses.

I can say that I think personally that the right horn rimmed frames look great on a bald head...but not everyone can or should try the Ray Ban Wayfarers as precription glasses.

I myself compromised, and went with a pair of "brow line glasses" ala Malcolm X and G men and Mad Men of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s. I wanted to purchase a pair of Shurons, but instead went with the Ray Ban Clubmasters...extremely comfortable and great looking. Browline glasses are a classic style without being too pretentious. 

Then again, as a writer/artist who likes plaid, that's sort of expected of me and the next generation of beat poet wannabes and liberal arts students :-p

It's a niche thing.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
It's funny how some of the older guys here look at horn rimmed glasses and flinch, while younger men, women, and "hipsters" are looking back towards older/heavier styles of glasses.

Some of us older guys grew up wearing those heavier horn-rim styles.  Some of us are even ancient enough to remember when the lenses were actually made of glass.   :o :o   There was a time when there really wasn't anything else available.  They weren't fashion accessories; they were a practical necessity that weren't considered to be particularly hip. So the memories attached to them generally are not fond ones.    :)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
So the memories attached to them generally are not fond ones.    :)

So true ... being the only student in my second grade class wearing glasses was not an enjoyable distinction.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
Razor X is right - wearing horn-rimmed glasses as a kid was not fun and certainly wasn't a fashion statement.  And thank goodness for high index plastic lenses that allow people like me with strong prescriptions to wear thin lenses.  The old glass was thick, heavy and a dead giveaway that you had poor eyesight.

As to what glasses look good with a bald head, it depends on the individual and his face shape.  I currently have a pair of Oakleys with a frame on the top of the lens only.  They are gunmetal grey and look pretty good.

Offline MMArob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
I can never decide whether contact lenses or conventional glasses are the bigger nuisance. Both have their plusses and minuses and how I would answer the question depends on the day. I usually wear contacts during the day but my eyes appreciate the occasional day off from them (like today).  I know I'm going to need a new prescription soon and that will create a whole new set of issues.   :-\
Did you consider buying Oakleys?
They offer almost all their frames with subscription glasses (clear or tinted), and are imo a nice choice for the sly look.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
They offer almost all their frames with subscription glasses (clear or tinted), and are imo a nice choice for the sly look.

Oh, you've got me thinking....

In Spring 2013, I'm having my eye sight test. My current glasses are 3 year old and were the cheapest frames. I've already glued them back together once (you can't see the join !).

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »

I have to schedule an eye exam for after the first of the year. I'm having a lot of problems with presbyopia but I'm not eliigble for an exam until the new year. I'm sure I'll need a new prescription and probably new frames then.  I'll check out the Oakleys.

Enter your email address: