Author Topic: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?  (Read 122061 times)

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
I wear glasses (the frame is light metal) and now since I am planning to keep very short hair, may be I can change my frame set too :) as I feels may be dark heavy frame will look good on me.  O:O

Any suggestions or views on this as I have seen lot of people who shave their heads using thick black frames
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:21:57 AM by Tyler »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: What kind of glass frame looks good on bald head/crop hair cut ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
I prefer the lighter frames, but hey, go nuts! Get whatever you think looks good on you and makes you feel good.

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
I prefer the lighter frames, but hey, go nuts! Get whatever you think looks good on you and makes you feel good.

pretty quick reply, and guess who,bootedbear again  :D I am already liking the forum  :@`

anyway you think people who shave heads and keep french cut  or wear dark heavy frame looks to distract people ? I mean clean shaved head, light glasses and clean shaven face may (and probably it do) looks strange, I may be wrong though :)

Edit - I am looking to have similar glasses http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=4862;type=avatar
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:05:22 PM by iCyborg »

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
I know we should be supportive on things, but I can't on this but I will try to be diplomatic.  I personally find thick, heavy, "horn rim" style glasses to be just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen anyone wear intentionally (aside from long fingernails).  People who wear them look like a walking pair of glasses with a face following behind.  They're harsh, dominating, and can look ridiculous depending on how extreme the frames are.

Then there's another problem.  Do you really want to walk around viewing the world with massive black letterboxing around everything you see?  I used to wear glasses and always found the frames to be an obstruction.  Why magnify that?

The glasses I recommend are the rimless variety.  They were the best pair of glasses I ever wore because they could hardly be seen.  However if you can wear them I recommend contacts.  Personally I find them so painful that I can't tolerant them for more than a few minutes.  The ultimate thing to do is get LASIK.  That's what I did and it was the best thing I ever did in my life.  It's so great that I had nightmares up to a year later where my vision returned to normal.

Not only to contacts and lasik allow you to be seen instead of a frame of eyeglasses but...
  • Your vision works the way it's supposed to work: you get your full field of vision.
  • You can see outside in the rain
  • You can wear sunglasses

Am I the only one who'd cringe when watching those eyeglasses commercials with the models wearing 5lb black frames?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with Rusty on this one...  I don't think a person should hide/ be hidden behind glasses.  Your eyes are one of if not THE most important feature(s) we use to communicate our feelings.  Those who have the balls to make eye contact will often use only a person's eyes to assess their intentions/mood.  Those black, big-rimmed "emo" glasses just don't work out most of the time. 

That being said, I think it comes down to (A) what is most functional and (B) what fits your personal style.

The normal-sized black-rimmed glasses look great on Jer (check out photos from Slycon '09), but the no-frame variety are very stylish and professional-looking (check out the avatar for slyatlast).  I wear  bronzish-reddish metal frames with no rim on the bottom half because it works well with my pale skin and eyebrow/beard color. 

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
I have thin wire frames on mine.  I will post a pic tomorrow when I have better light than a webcam offers.  I personally Hate, loathe, despise the thick black frames on anyone.  In fact, in the military, we called those BCG's - Birth Control Glasses.  A woman takes one look at those, and no sex for you.  :)

Unfortunately, I no longer have the contact lens option.  I lacerated my cornea in February and due to medical negligence in the emergency room, I ended up with a baterial infection that ate away all but one final layer of my cornea in my right eye.  I now require a corneal transplant and will be going back in late September for re-evaluation for surgery.  I am holding out for my Aussie mates who successfully harvested stem cells from a patient's good eye to regrow a fresh cornea in the lab for transplant.  No anti-rejection medications, faster recover and no need for synthetics.  Nearly as good as nature.  If I can get that, it would ne golden.  Until then, i will deal with being 80% blind in my right eye.

Lessons to take away.   1) Stay away from the thick frames if you want a sex life.  2) Take care with contacts.  3) You only get one set of eyes.  Treat them well.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
I have thin wire frames on mine.  I will post a pic tomorrow when I have better light than a webcam offers.  I personally Hate, loathe, despise the thick black frames on anyone.  In fact, in the military, we called those BCG's - Birth Control Glasses.  A woman takes one look at those, and no sex for you.  :)

LMFAO!

And you may be interested to know that I don't think I have ever used that obnoxious acryonym anywhere, ever except for when I'm complaining about the overuse of trendy acryonyms on the internet.  But LMFAO!  LMFAO indeed!  I just was not expecting to read something like that!

:*))

On a serious note, you only have the final layer of your one cornea?  Wow, because the cornea is a thin piece of tissue when healthy.  I think a normal cornea is only about 500 microns thick.  I hope things go well for you.  Will topolink lasik (aka "HD" lasik) be an option, or mandantory, on your cornea after it is regrown?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »
glad I could truly humor you.  :)

The eye has an amazing ability to heal.  After a month of daily eye doctor visits and tons of antibiotics, the bacterial ulcer closed and new tissue formed over the cornea.  The problem is that it left a white scar tissue on top of the lens that is so deep it cannot be lasered off.  It can only be cut out and replaced.  The side effect is an 80% loss of vision in the dead center of my focus and a 45% loss in the periphery.  I have those halos that many lasik patients talk about and any white light at night can be absolutely blinding as it just obstructs the view of everything out of that eye.  According to my Harvard educated opthamologist (sp?), I am no longer a candidate for lasik nor soft contacts because of the trench left in the surface of my eye and the scar depth.  But the damage might not be severe enough to warrant the problems that would come along with a transplant.  i will find out on September 24th if that has changed.  Bummer.

But enought about me.  Things will work out.  I no longer want to kill the ER doctor that caused the damage through his lack of care and misdiagnosis of a croneal ulcer.  But I still think my house should be paid for.   >:D

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
If you are trying to distract from baldness, then big, black frames (the joke ones with a fake nose and mustache) will do the trick.  If you are indifferent to responses to being bald, then the least obtrusive frames will show the gawkers that the whole head is a package, take it or leave it.

This a response from a BBC, who likes the smooth look, and hides it neither under a cap, nor favors head-based distractions (ugly, obtrusive eye-wear; flamboyantly dyed facial hair; neck tattoos [Ugh!]).

If you ain't got it, flaunt it. That's Ming's advice.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
Ok.  I said I would post a picture with glasses and no shades.  Thin wire frame.  Imagine the bald Buddy Holly look if you still want to consider the thick frames.  *shiver*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:32:36 PM by Antimidas »

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »

Lessons to take away.   1) Stay away from the thick frames if you want a sex life.  2) Take care with contacts.  3) You only get one set of eyes.  Treat them well.

I will remember those.... especially #1   >:D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline fatbert

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »

pretty quick reply, and guess who,bootedbear again  :D I am already liking the forum  :@`

anyway you think people who shave heads and keep french cut  or wear dark heavy frame looks to distract people ? I mean clean shaved head, light glasses and clean shaven face may (and probably it do) looks strange, I may be wrong though :)

Edit - I am looking to have similar glasses http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=4862;type=avatar

Meh. I like my ugly hipster BCG's and started wearing them not to distract from the lack of hair but to make myself look a little less intimidating (at 6'6" and 260lbs I don't need any extra help  ;) ). Plus I figured that if I'd paid for them I might as well use them.

When I originally got them went to an optometrist who knew her stuff and did a good job of helping me pick the frames. Her suggestion was a pair that weren't completely square but were a bit rounded at the top to offset the curve of my shaven head.

Picture of said glasses:

Say what you want, love them or hate them, they're what I wear. After about four years of strictly wearing contacts I find the glasses to be a bit easier and a nice change. I still keep contacts for athletic and other stuff, but the glasses are a day to day thing.

SlyHigh

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:59:19 PM »
I wear contacts, but just got a new pair of glasses to wear when necessary.  They are black with thicker ear pieces and prominant frames.  I couldn't get rimless because my lenses are so thick they wouldn't stay in the frames, and even if they did, would look funny.

Take a female friend to the doctor's office to help you pick them out.  The ladies in the office can give their opinions, too.  When I got mine, I narrowed the choices down and called my wife to come over and help me choose.

Get a style that works with your face shape (as said, the ladies in the office can help you with that) and fit your personality and personal preference.  Even the ugly thick black framed glasses can look cool on the right face.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
I think, just like for men with hair, the right frame depends on things like face shape, coloring, etc.  I got some fairly recently that I love.  Black with thicker edge/ear pieces.  I think I look good in them and that's all that really matters.   :)

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »

Jason Bradbury off the Gadget Show over here in the UK (funny bloke)  http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face