Author Topic: 19 years old and quite unhappy  (Read 21262 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
19 years old and quite unhappy
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:37:44 AM »
I am 19 years old and I believe I am losing my hair

my whole life i have had my hair extremely short to my objection. About a few months to a year ago i began growing it out, its gotten a little past my neck but to my ultimate dismay, my hairline is receding. I am on thyroid medication and baldness doesnt run on the fathers side but it does on my mothers side. My dad has a full healthy head of hair in his mid 50's. But it looks like im being screwed in the area of a normal hairline

Anyhow heres a picture. I know a majority of you experienced hair loss at some point and decided to go completely shaved im wondering If at this point I could or just wait it out and see if it keeps getting worse because right now my long hair completely hides my hairline unless its wet. Just curious about what you think I should do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Atomic9/c78dcbb64fd1__1248825860000.jpg

Thankyou in advance, take care
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:40:36 AM by Morthen »

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 19 years old and quite unhappy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:53:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Morthen!

Well there is no doubt your hair is very thin. At the very least I would buzz it down short..... you should also consider giving shaving a try. It's very acceptable now, you'll look great, feel great, and  your confidence will soar.

Keep posting, keep your chin up, and don't be afraid to ask for more help no matter what you decide to do.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

GASlick

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:09:50 AM »
welcome to the crowd!  Try buzzing it down really short and get used to it.  Then try shaving it.  It can't hurt right?  Take some time and read some of the threads on here.  There is a lot of information on here and a great bunch of guys to help you!

And yes, baldness runs on the mother's side.  Good luck!

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:23:12 AM »
Welcome Morthen,
19 years old and unhappy, well try a clipper cut and a headshave.
Afther the shave you are  19 years old and happy
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:31:44 AM »
Welcome Morthen.    One way to lessen the impact of hair that is thinning is to do as the others have suggested and clip it down.  If you are nervous about it, go in stages starting with a 3 and going down in steps.  This should allow you to get used to it and see that  you CAN shave it down and look good.  Now is the time to do it.  Really short and shaved is quite commonplace today.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
thanks for the encouragement guys. i'll keep you posted on my decision =)
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:54:42 AM »
Welcome to the SBG Family Morthen,

I agree with the others, try clipping it first then try the Head shave. If you don't like it you can grow it back out. I think that you'll look just fine with a shaved head though.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:24:58 AM »
Look around you bro, like Paul said it is common place nowadays.  Clip it down in stages and go for it.  Do the 30 day trial period after you shave it down and then make your decision.  Just remember, if you do not keep the shaved slick look, you can still be a member here.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
Thanks for posting and sharing link.  You have come to the right place!  I agree with others that you should buzz the hair down very tight.  Then look in the mirror, rub the balding areas and train your mind saying "I am myself. I am whole. I am balding. I am confident".  Keep doing this and soon you will want to razor is smooth and enjoy the new you.  Best to you !

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
Don't hide it.  People don't like surprises like this.  If you actually LIVE your life, at some point someone will see your hair wet or blown back by the wind, and they will notice... 

I was reaching to get my receipt from the little return tube at the bank drivethru and gave my friend a birds-eye view of my crown.  The next thing out of his mouth was, "Dude.  You're going bald."  I canceled a camping trip with him that weekend after making some lame albeit believable excuse, and wore a hat every day after that for a year.  It was no kind of life. 

If you already had short hair before, it should be no big adjustment to return to a close-cropped look.  Your hairline COULD just be maturing, OR you could just be slowly balding.  Either way, it would be better to cut it short now IMO.  It would give people time to adjust to your features as accented by short hair.  Going from long to bald (which is what I did) is bad... people will REALLY do a double-take. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
Although my first reaction is to say shave it, you mention that you're on thyroid medication.  For that reason, I suggest you consult w/ your doctor about the level of medicaition that you have been taking to insure that it is appropriate for your condition and that it doesn't need to be adjusted.  Thyroid problems can affect hair, and you may be one of the few that can regain hair if the meds aren't at the right level.  It could be an important symptom for your doctor to consider.

If the meds are okay, and not the cause, then mpb may be your fate.  Your choice is then simple, hang on to the hair understanding that it will recede and fall out day by day, hair by hair until you achieve mail pattern baldness.  Alternatively, get ahead of the game, and shave it off as I and the guys support.  MPB will continue its course, but you won't have to worry about it because by in large its progress will be invisible.  Good luck.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
im going to the doctor this upcomming monday to figure out what the deal is. If I have MPB i'll probably just do a low to no guard buzz. Thanks for the support guys i'll post on what happens.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  There is a lot of good advice here, but the best advice is that you need to do what makes you happy.  If you are happy, it will show through any hair style that you have.  If shaved makes you happy, then shave it.  Honestly, it made a huge improvement in my life.  I am more confident than ever.  I love my shaved head and people can see that I am much happier than when I was trying to hide a bald spot and receding hairline.

Good luck, bro.  Post a pic of your shaved head, when the deed is done.   O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 10:15:06 PM »
hey morthern:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  the sly brothers have given U some gr8 advice.  whatever... your decision.  we got your back. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:28:53 AM »
got my doctors appointment today to see if Its my thyroid meds causing the problem. I am pretty nervous about it i'll have a follow up post on it if your interested. If MPB is what is causing my hairloss I will most likely be doing a low/no guard buzz

thanks guys
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Enter your email address: