Author Topic: 19 years old and quite unhappy  (Read 21264 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 19 years old and quite unhappy
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »
i mentioned the idea to my brother then he just proceeded to heckle me about how stupid i would look bald...god damnit i hate my brother -_-

This is why you don't discuss it with other people before you do it.  You'll always find somebody who wants to talk you out of it.

Look at it this way: is it your goal to look good for your brother?   Where will that get you in the end?   :-\

If you read through the threads here, you'll find that one recurring theme is that people experience increased confidence after shaving their heads.  Part of that comes from standing up to the opposition and doing what you, not they, want.  There's no reason why, at age 19, you should feel obligated to keep your appearance a certain way, if it makes you unhappy, just to accomodate the tastes of someone else.  Life's too short for that.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
i mentioned the idea to my brother then he just proceeded to heckle me about how stupid i would look bald...god damnit i hate my brother -_-

This is why you don't discuss it with other people before you do it.  You'll always find somebody who wants to talk you out of it.

Look at it this way: is it your goal to look good for your brother?   Where will that get you in the end?   :-\

If you read through the threads here, you'll find that one recurring theme is that people experience increased confidence after shaving their heads.  Part of that comes from standing up to the opposition and doing what you, not they, want.  There's no reason why, at age 19, you should feel obligated to keep your appearance a certain way, if it makes you unhappy, just to accomodate the tastes of someone else.  Life's too short for that.

What he said, & remember 24/7/365 you deal w/ it not your brother.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »

Sigh.  I'm sorry but what does your brother know about the feeling you get when you have a shaved head?  :/O     If you should have asked anyone that question it would be a guy with a shaved head, not some guy who has no clue whatsoever.  Sorry I don't mean to insult your brother, but he just doesn't know about the feeling because he hasn't shaved his head.    So it's like asking a mechanic a quesiton on cavities.  The poor mechanic only knows about cars.  What would he know about teeth?

You are in a situation where you should only listen to people who think your happiness matters the most.   
As Razorx said, you don't discuss it with others.  Most importantly you do NOT discuss it with your loved ones.   They are ignorant about this subject just like a mathematician like me would be ignorant about history.   
So, just go ahead and let them talk all they want.  After all, they are your family.  It's not like they will boycott you or anything, will they?

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »

Sigh.  I'm sorry but what does your brother know about the feeling you get when you have a shaved head?  :/O     If you should have asked anyone that question it would be a guy with a shaved head, not some guy who has no clue whatsoever.  Sorry I don't mean to insult your brother, but he just doesn't know about the feeling because he hasn't shaved his head.    So it's like asking a mechanic a quesiton on cavities.  The poor mechanic only knows about cars.  What would he know about teeth?

You are in a situation where you should only listen to people who think your happiness matters the most.   
As Razorx said, you don't discuss it with others.  Most importantly you do NOT discuss it with your loved ones.   They are ignorant about this subject just like a mathematician like me would be ignorant about history.   
So, just go ahead and let them talk all they want.  After all, they are your family.  It's not like they will boycott you or anything, will they?
I suppose not, its not uncommon for my brother to give me a hard time over something, hes a good guy but he unintentionally insults everytime i do something new with my look.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »
When you get right down to it, shaving your head is just another haircut.  If you don't like it, it will grow back -- and quicker than you think.  But I think you owe to yourself to give it a try.  Shave it and commit to keeping it shaved for 30 days, no matter what.  You're entitled to do this one thing for yourself for a short period of time, aren't you?  Then when the 30 days are up, see how you feel about it and decide whether you want to continue or grow the fuzz back.  Even if you don't like it, at least you'll know.  Otherwise, you'll always be wondering.  If I were a balding 19-year-old in today's environment, when it's perfectly acceptable to shave one's head, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

I just looked back at the photo you posted at the beginning of this thread. You're way too young to go around with a hairline like that.  I know it's scary, but if you take that leap of faith, I'm sure you won't regret it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:27:39 PM by Razor X »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
yeah i suppose. Im the most indecisive person you will ever meet thats what turns it into rocket science D:

You sure have come a long way in 6 days, congrats O0--one day I suspect the itch to see it completely smooth  O:O will over take you.  

Okay, you've dodged every challenge we've provided, and if you are okay w/ living under the domination of other people, fine if that works for you.  But, the itch isn't going to go away, you're going to consider and think about it everytime you look in the mirror--especially after a shower when you see and understand where you are and will be going--you're going bald.  So, get in front now or later, and unless your family can give you a turnaround quick, w/in five years you're going to be almost if not totally bald.  Who's driving the train, you or someone else????

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
OK, let's try the "tough love" approach...

Dude, you're 19 freaking years old! Man up, grow a pair, and do what you want for once!

Sure, there might be consequences. But that's what grown-ups do -- deal with the consequences of their actions. It'll be good training for your future,

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »

Sure, there might be consequences. But that's what grown-ups do -- deal with the consequences of their actions. It'll be good training for your future,

There might be consequences, but in all likelihood they won't be nearly as severe as you think they will be.  Most people are amazed at what a non-event the whole thing turns out to be.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »
only consequences there will be is possible negative comments. I guess theres no way of knowing until i do it. I keep telling myself tonight ill do it but i always pussy out in the end. ><
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
only consequences there will be is possible negative comments. I guess theres no way of knowing until i do it. I keep telling myself tonight ill do it but i always pussy out in the end. ><

The thing is, you're always going to get negative comments, or at least negative attitude, from somebody about something.  Some people might not like the way you look with a shaved head.  Others might not like the way you look now.  This is why you can't live your life trying to please others.

You're 19 years old; you're an adult and can make your own decisions.  You're not yet deeply established in a career that you feel might prevent you from making such a change (even that usually ends up being a straw man argument), and you don't have a wife that's going to make your life miserable for shaving your head.  The world is your oyster; you will never be freer than you are right now to do something like this.

As you noted in the subject heading, you are quite unhappy.  You're not going to be any happier until something changes.  Make the change; if you're unhappy now, will it really be any worse if you shave your head?

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
I keep telling myself tonight ill do it but i always pussy out in the end. ><

You can eliminate all of that by visiting your local traditional men's barbershop and asking the barber to shave your head. I'm sure he'll be happy to do it for you and won't judge you or question your decision. All you have to do is sit there! Game over.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »
at the point i am at based on my pictures. is there any hope left to have hair. or do you think its just gonna get progessively worse
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
dude. Shave your head down to a 1 and call it a day. You will find that guys like to bust balls no matter what you do.
Guys will bust balls in these scenarios for you:
If your shaved bald
If your hair is falling out(like now)
If you buzzed down to a one level
If you have a full head of hair (they will good on the style)

Get it ? Guys like your brother love to bust chops...its what makes some people feel good about themselves. So do what YOU want to do.

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline FormerlyBitterNBroken

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
As a newbie, I have to ask you wiser gents...is being bald a "hair style"?  Hairless style?

I'm not a wiser gent, but I view being bald as to hairstyles as anarchy is to forms of government.

D, None of the Above  =P