Author Topic: Strongly considering laser...a little different than some though--thoughts ?  (Read 10864 times)

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
Hi guys. I am strongly considering lasering the dome. But not all fo the dome...
I have MPB like a lot of you but my hair seems to grow in a weird pattern up top.
I have some in front, much thicker in the middle and very thin in back.
When I have even just a few hours of shadow this pattern is very noticeable.
To me it looks like I have a strap accross the top of my head when it grows in...
If it grows in a lot it looks ok because I can grow it longer but I dont have any interest in growing my
hair back to that point...Ill  be sly forever !
I shave twice a day to get rid of the shadow as much as possible but I am getting tired of it.
So I am going to look into lasering the top....and leaving just a shadow around the sides and back.
I think it would be thin enough to get done in one shot and I am fair to medium skin-tone and my hair is dark.
Any thoughts from you guys who have gotten lasered ? Does it sound like something that can be done in one shot ?

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Hi guys. I am strongly considering lasering the dome. But not all fo the dome...
I have MPB like a lot of you but my hair seems to grow in a weird pattern up top.
To me it looks like I have a strap accross the top of my head when it grows in...

That sounds like a pretty typical MPB pattern and that is exactly why I started shaving.  Eventually that "strap" in the middle will thin out and disappear.  I wouldn't bother lasering it.  I doubt that anyone else is paying enough attention to the top of your head to notice.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
My dermatologist wasn't particularly keen on lasering a guy's scalp, period.  I'm sure there are those who'll do anything for a buck, particularly now.  It's not eligible for health insurance reimbursement as far as I know, it does have some risk attached.  I've seen a marked "loss" of shadow in the "strap" between the ears and in the two spots in front particularly in one, in just under 1 1/2 years, so I would think all you need to be is patient and Mother Nature will take care of it.  Google up the Norwood/Hamilton charts and if you get the complete chart you'll see that fading is part of the pattern in MPB.
Another consideration in addition to safety and cost, it isn't really "permanent."  You will have regrowth to some extent even if not to the level you have now--and that again could be mother nature.  

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
Just posted about this on another thread....  I got my first laser treatment two weeks ago and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. I am naturally bald on top and have decided to rid myself of what's left on the sides and back for (hopefully) a shadow free head.  I was also wary of the dangers but I found a place that I was really comfortable with.  They were very informative as far as what to expect and what is involved.  The woman who did it was experienced,  very down to earth, funny and didn't act like I was a weirdo for wanting this done.  They allowed me to try a small test patch (at no charge) and then wait a week to make sure there were no adverse reactions.   The last thing I wanted was a burned, scarred or blistered head. The process wasn't traumatic or scary in the least. 
She set an expectation that I may not see any difference in the first treatment, but the change (to me at least) is  dramatic already.  My shadow is less pronounced.  I let it grow over the weekend and most of my hair seems finer, lighter and grows a lot slower with a few totally smooth spots.  There are a few little dark patches and a little bit of grey hair that I had is growing at the same rate as before.  If I grew it for a while it would probably look a bit mangy, but shaved it doesn't look unatural.  Occasionally I think I'm nuts for doing this, but I'm really happy with it at this point.
As Saintc says, if you're balding now, it's likely nature will take it's course on the top of your head, but I certainly can relate to your wanting "bald symmetry".  I seriously doubt one treatment will give you the results you want, but I have noticed some reduction after one shot.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:18:31 PM by Some Guy »

BALDANDRE

I say go for it...and feel good about your slyness 100%....that's what going sly is all about any ways...

why not try to empower yourself fully...and be "real" bald...

go for it bro...

what , so you'll be bald for life...not a bad way to be my friend! O0

marty22

it may take a number of treatments-Im guessing 4-5 to get it done with a follow-up here and there. Give it two weeks to see if the hair grows back before making any judgments.

Offline drclean1969

• Sly Guy in Training
  • GSG
I'm in the same boat. I would also happily live with just having a bit of shadow growing around the sides and back of my head, and having the top cleaned up permanently. That way if I miss shaving a day or two I would still feel neat and clean, without this patchwork thing on top of my head! Let me know how it all turns out - I might do the same myself!

btw, sorry I haven't posted in so long. I'll try to contribute more frequently - you guys have a great group going here.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
If it grows in a lot it looks ok because I can grow it longer but I dont have any interest in growing my
hair back to that point...Ill  be sly forever !
I shave twice a day to get rid of the shadow as much as possible but I am getting tired of it.
So I am going to look into lasering the top....and leaving just a shadow around the sides and back.
I think it would be thin enough to get done in one shot and I am fair to medium skin-tone and my hair is dark.
Any thoughts from you guys who have gotten lasered ? Does it sound like something that can be done in one shot ?

so you would rather have the horshoe shadow than a shadow with hair on top?

im strongly considering getting lazer one day. right now im a broke college student who cant afford it and my parents definately wouldnt help me with something like that because they would probably be against it. well.....my dad would anyways. im not sure about my mom. shes pretty supportive of my decisions.

BALDANDRE

Just posted about this on another thread....  I got my first laser treatment two weeks ago and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. I am naturally bald on top and have decided to rid myself of what's left on the sides and back for (hopefully) a shadow free head.  I was also wary of the dangers but I found a place that I was really comfortable with.  They were very informative as far as what to expect and what is involved.  The woman who did it was experienced,  very down to earth, funny and didn't act like I was a weirdo for wanting this done.  They allowed me to try a small test patch (at no charge) and then wait a week to make sure there were no adverse reactions.   The last thing I wanted was a burned, scarred or blistered head. The process wasn't traumatic or scary in the least. 
She set an expectation that I may not see any difference in the first treatment, but the change (to me at least) is  dramatic already.  My shadow is less pronounced.  I let it grow over the weekend and most of my hair seems finer, lighter and grows a lot slower with a few totally smooth spots.  There are a few little dark patches and a little bit of grey hair that I had is growing at the same rate as before.  If I grew it for a while it would probably look a bit mangy, but shaved it doesn't look unatural.  Occasionally I think I'm nuts for doing this, but I'm really happy with it at this point.
As Saintc says, if you're balding now, it's likely nature will take it's course on the top of your head, but I certainly can relate to your wanting "bald symmetry".  I seriously doubt one treatment will give you the results you want, but I have noticed some reduction after one shot.

Welcome Someguy...

Thanks for the  story...gotta say the results look great...not much shadow on you...and when you have a bald head...

100% hairfree is an awesome look to achieve...sweet!! O0

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
Thanks. I'm sure the lighting in this photo contributes to the shadow free look because I really do still have a noticeable horseshoe even when shaved clean, but like I said it's definitely lighter after one visit.  The laser tech said a head could take as many as 7-10 visits just because of the nature of hair growth, hair being in a dormant state etc. I'm her first head case.  Shaving doesn't really bother me, I'm just more interested in reducing the hair to the point where  there's little or no shadow.   

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
looks damn good already, Some Guy.  Good luck!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
I agree with Razor, no one really notices the top of your head but you.

Skip it, and enjoy your shave!

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Hey Some guy,

Welcome to the board, brother.  That's a great dome ya got there.

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
so you would rather have the horshoe shadow than a shadow with hair on top?
Absolutely.  The horseshoe shadow is only horrible if you let it grow in...I just want symetry.
it doesnt bother me that people see I am going bald...it bothers me that my hair grows in a weird pattern.
I know its on the norwood scale but I still dont like it.  Besides...I look at this as the first step to lasering the whole head.
I will NEVER want to grow my hair back so lasering may be a good option.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

BALDANDRE

I know its on the norwood scale but I still dont like it.  Besides...I look at this as the first step to lasering the whole head.

I know I love the 100% bald look with no shadow and if I were MPB and had a dark horseshoe even after a shave...I would consider lasering like you...

just as everything fellas...It's what makes us comfortable...and to DJ having his shadow be gone is what he wants (and needs!)...

go for it and be happy with yourself bro...it is your life! O0