Author Topic: Strongly considering laser...a little different than some though--thoughts ?  (Read 10866 times)

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
thanks andre. Whats with the hair in your avatar ? Is that photoshopped ?
Shave your head.....free your mind.

BALDANDRE

[quote author

=DJ_Bald link=topic=9203.msg160450#msg160450 date=1236183624]
thanks andre. Whats with the hair in your avatar ? Is that photoshopped ?

[/quote]

Naw, bro no photoshopping there, even though I'm good at it...just have wanted to try the flattop/ sculpted beard combo...you know do the things in your life ya mean to....

there's a whole thread on my new hairiness....

that's all , I'll be slick bald again..no worries about that bro! ;) 8)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
so you would rather have the horshoe shadow than a shadow with hair on top?
Absolutely.  The horseshoe shadow is only horrible if you let it grow in...I just want symetry.
it doesnt bother me that people see I am going bald...it bothers me that my hair grows in a weird pattern.
I know its on the norwood scale but I still dont like it. 

I can relate to that.  I used to, on days that I skipped shaving, at least take a minute or two to scrape the top clean because I didn't like the way the remaining hair looked on top, either.  I haven't done that in a long time, though.  I usually skip dhaving on either a Saturday or a Sunday, but the hair has thinned out enough on top that I don't worry about it anymore.  The fact that I don't have dark hair helps, too.

Similarly, on days when I don't shave my face, I at least go over the cheeks with the blade (much to SBG Math Guy's horror, I am sure   ;) ) because I just feel tidier that way.  I doubt anybody else notices the difference, though.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
so you would rather have the horshoe shadow than a shadow with hair on top?
Absolutely.  The horseshoe shadow is only horrible if you let it grow in...I just want symetry.
it doesnt bother me that people see I am going bald...it bothers me that my hair grows in a weird pattern.
I know its on the norwood scale but I still dont like it. 

I can relate to that.  I used to, on days that I skipped shaving, at least take a minute or two to scrape the top clean because I didn't like the way the remaining hair looked on top, either.  I haven't done that in a long time, though.  I usually skip dhaving on either a Saturday or a Sunday, but the hair has thinned out enough on top that I don't worry about it anymore.  The fact that I don't have dark hair helps, too.

Similarly, on days when I don't shave my face, I at least go over the cheeks with the blade (much to SBG Math Guy's horror, I am sure   ;) ) because I just feel tidier that way.  I doubt anybody else notices the difference, though.

;)  Well Razor here is the thing.  Lately I have tried shaving low on my neck you know following that tradition "if there's hair you gotta shave it or else you look half shaved".........what's happening is skin irritation because there aren't too many hairs.    So I would imagine something similar would happen if I were to shave too high on my cheeks.   

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

;)  Well Razor here is the thing.  Lately I have tried shaving low on my neck you know following that tradition "if there's hair you gotta shave it or else you look half shaved".........what's happening is skin irritation because there aren't too many hairs.    So I would imagine something similar would happen if I were to shave too high on my cheeks.   

No, the neck is more sensitive than the cheeks.  Everything irritates my neck, especially shirt collars.  When I take off my shirt and tie after getting home from work, my neck looks like someone tried to hang me.

Offline BuzzDawg

• Sly Guy in Training
DJ, I've been lasered on top for the very same reason that you are considering it.  I have a slight advantage in that my better half is a physician who performs laser hair removal, so in exchange for being a "guinea pig" I was able to have it done at no cost.  ;D

For me, it took only two treatments, and it's very likely that one treatment would have accomplished the task.  In reading the literature, we found that head hair is different from body hair, in that the majority of it is in the growing phase at any given time, which is the only time at which laser treatment is effective.  By contrast, only one-third to one-half of the hair below the neck is in the active growing phase at any given time, so it requires several treatments to completely do the job.

I very much recommend it, and couldn't be happier.
Now if a man loses the hair of his head, he is bald; he is clean.
- Leviticus 13:40

Offline Some Guy

• Sly Jr.
Buzzdawg that it very interesting.  Hopefully I will only need a visit or two more. Question, how long did it take for your hair to fall out after each treatment?

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
I knew there was a bunch of you who were interested in laser...I just knew it :) 
Buzzdawg check your private messages.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline BuzzDawg

• Sly Guy in Training
Buzzdawg that it very interesting.  Hopefully I will only need a visit or two more. Question, how long did it take for your hair to fall out after each treatment?

I kept shaving after each treatment, so it's difficult to say; however, we noticed a definite lessening of the shadow within a week or two.
Now if a man loses the hair of his head, he is bald; he is clean.
- Leviticus 13:40

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
can you be completely bald after laser treatment? like howie mandel bald or does it just thin your hair out and make your shadow lighter?

i want to get laser treatment so it takes all my hair away. front,back,side,side,top. everything. i dunno if thats possible.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
can you be completely bald after laser treatment? like howie mandel bald or does it just thin your hair out and make your shadow lighter?

i want to get laser treatment so it takes all my hair away. front,back,side,side,top. everything. i dunno if thats possible.

Ok Ghost I will come a bit hard on you here.  So get ready for it.   First, yes laser can take away all of your hair if you want.   But here is where I'm going to say some harsh words........................
Let it go before you do something you will regret.  You are too young about thinking of eliminating hair from alll parts.  How you do you even know you will look good with it???   Remember, once you remove hair permanently THERE IS NO GOING BACK.   So, let things go as planned.  Or maybe do laser at the top but if you are to do laser at the sides and back I think it's a wrong choice.  You are 20 years old and at that age, I'm sorry but you are not ready to make such a big decision.  Maybe once you turn 30 you can make that choice.  I'm not saying you are not mature enough for your age. Not at all, but I'm saying 20 is too small of a number to make such a big decision. 

No hard feelings.  This site is about helping others and I would hate to see you make a bad decision that is not reversible.  Peace. O0

Offline clipped

• Sly
 I used to, on days that I skipped shaving, at least take a minute or two to scrape the top clean because I didn't like the way the remaining hair looked on top, either.  I haven't done that in a long time, though. 
[/quote]

This is something that I tried once on top when I had a freshly tight clipper shave, leaving the sides and back.  Was thinking maybe this was a weird thing to do.  Maybe not.  How many others do this regularily to keep a neat, tight horseshoe, when you're not ready for the full head shave, but tired of the stragglers up top? 

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy

Ok Ghost I will come a bit hard on you here.  So get ready for it.   First, yes laser can take away all of your hair if you want.   But here is where I'm going to say some harsh words........................
Let it go before you do something you will regret.  You are too young about thinking of eliminating hair from alll parts.  How you do you even know you will look good with it???   Remember, once you remove hair permanently THERE IS NO GOING BACK.   So, let things go as planned.  Or maybe do laser at the top but if you are to do laser at the sides and back I think it's a wrong choice.  You are 20 years old and at that age, I'm sorry but you are not ready to make such a big decision.  Maybe once you turn 30 you can make that choice.  I'm not saying you are not mature enough for your age. Not at all, but I'm saying 20 is too small of a number to make such a big decision. 

No hard feelings.  This site is about helping others and I would hate to see you make a bad decision that is not reversible.  Peace. O0

whys getting rid of all my hair on my head permanently a bad idea? im completely bald already from shaving lol. what would be the difference besides the shadow?

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
well "maybe" just "maybe" your shadow actually works towards improving your appearance.  You would have to somehow find out exactly what you would look like without a shadow at all before going for laser. 
When I look at your pics in your avatar I don't see your shadow being a negative thing in your appearance at all. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

There a lot of different factors that come into play.  The laser works best if you have dark hair and light skin.   The lighter your hair color, the less successful the treatment is likely to be.  It's extremely difficult to permanently remove 100% of your hair, so you'll probably always have to shave, though you will have less hair to shave, and hence, less shadow.  The worst case scenario is that you could end up having patchy hair loss -- completely bald in some spots and hairy in others where the hair was resistant to the laser.  Then you'd have a very oddly-patterned shadow to deal with.  Just something to think about.

Anyway, wasn't it just a week ago (or less) that you were worried about the prospect of being completely bald?