Author Topic: what age did everyone start losing their hair?  (Read 27328 times)

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: what age did everyone start losing their hair?
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
Hey privateryan.  trying to save something that cannot be saved is a waste of time and effort.
About the buss cut, please don't forget you will look much different with a shaved head.  You will be surprised!
One thing to remember is that losing hair is not the end of the world.   You will have to learn to live with something
that doesn't hurt you physically, is emotionally painful at times, but is indeed not so big of a problem when you
look at other forms of suffering in this life.   Cheers.

emotional pain can hurt 10X more than physical pain.

I disagree  :).   You are facing both now I believe.  Which one hurts more, losing the hair or the stomach pain that you may have to live with for a long time (according to you)?  Be honest.

Offline privateryan.ryan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »
Exactly guys...I am more concerned about the emotinal suffering I went through..so much of time and energy was wasted..I would like to share some of the failures I had during this period (I want to do this so that the other younger folks dont repeat such mistakes, accept MPB gracefully and move ahead in life);

1. Below potential performance in the GMAT exam . I am the same person who got a 1st Class Honours for my bachelors degree and for O and A level scores
2. Broke up with my girl friend as I used to indulge in self pity, she completely became averse of me. Her last words were: I hate bald men like you!
3. Loss of self-esteem and development of pessimistic attitude in life
4. Loss of confidence interacting with pretty girls
5. I was in Glasgow(UK) for some business meetings, it is a very windy place and you can imagine what must have happened to me emotionally getting to the place from the hotel. My hair was all over the place and the sales manager even pointed to me to set it properly before entering the meeting. So much trouble for growing it long to cover the recede and ending up in so much embarrasment
6.Too much self-denial and trying to justify to myself and others that I dont suffer from MPB!

It is not too late anyway, now that I have realised this completely and made up mind to accept it, I just have to fight off the next few months and focus on other more important aspects such as career, friends, family etc.

Ultimately I want to do something meaningful regardless of whether I have hair or not. There is already too much sh*t in the world today.

Cheers!

Offline privateryan.ryan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
Hi Math guy,

Bro..I believe emotional pain is more serious than physical pain..emotional pain can drain you of your resources in no time..honestly at the age of 24 people are all out enjoying life! Unfortunately not everybody is able to enjoy life to the fullest..but the key point is to accept things which are not in your control and move on without wasting much time..How I wish I could have enjoyed the last 2 yrs and not thinking so much about saving my hair! Ultimately this situation was out of my control.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
Hey privateryan.  trying to save something that cannot be saved is a waste of time and effort.
About the buss cut, please don't forget you will look much different with a shaved head.  You will be surprised!
One thing to remember is that losing hair is not the end of the world.   You will have to learn to live with something
that doesn't hurt you physically, is emotionally painful at times, but is indeed not so big of a problem when you
look at other forms of suffering in this life.   Cheers.

emotional pain can hurt 10X more than physical pain.

I disagree  :).   You are facing both now I believe.  Which one hurts more, losing the hair or the stomach pain that you may have to live with for a long time (according to you)?  Be honest.

to be honest....as much of a pain in the ass my colitis is i never even complain about it. i just suck it upand deal with it. hairloss is different.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
Hi privateryan,  one major difference between physical and emotional pain is that emotional pain depends on your reaction.  So you can "choose" to have it affect you to the point where you commit suicide and say it's more painful than physical pain, or you can control your emotions, look at the blessings you have and be happy. 
With physical pain that's really not possible.   The pain doesn't depend on your reaction but on itself. 
emotional pain can drain you of your resources if you let it do so.
I think the only way to know which of the 2 is more difficult is to get opinions from people who have faced both types of pain, because truly experience is the mother of wisdom. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »

I am one step closer to going sly. I just got my buzz cut and even though I dont like at all, I am going to accept it. I have no other option. Some people have given me lots of negative remarks over the last last 24 hrs, but I am gulping it all down. I want to succeed and take control and I am not going to let my hair be a show stopper.

Sounds like you've made the important first step.  The rest, especially the confidence, will come.  Until it does, just fake it.   ;)

Forget about what other people think.  Your girlfriend who left you because you're losing your hair is a shallow person who is unworthy of you.  Better that you find that out now instead of wasting more time with a person who doesn't really care about you.  Don't worry about what your family thinks, either.  I know this can be a tough one, but you just have to stick to your guns.  Ultimately it is your decision and no one else's.  You can't live your life to please other people.  Your mother might think you look better with thinning hair than a shaved head, but let's face it, is she the one you really want to look good for?   ^-^  It's no good going along with her wishes, against your own.  It might make her happy, but it will make you miserable. 

You've got all the power here, even though it may not seem like it.  And exercising that power is what gives you confidence.  It's not so much about looking better (though that does play a part), it's about taking charge of a situation, and doing what you want to do, in the face of a lot of opposition, that will make you confident.

You might not be crazy about the buzzcut now, but listen to your head and not your heart.  Take a look around you at other guys who are balding.  Which ones look better -- the ones who buzz/shave it all off or the ones who grow it long in a futile attempt to try and hide it?  And what makes you think you're the exception to the rule.  You might not like the buzzcut now, but eventually you will.  And when the time comes, you will freaking love having a slick bald head.  It's one of those things you can't really understand until you've been through it.  Just trust me and the rest of the guys here.

Offline jasonworld

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
I started having a receding hair line about age 19 then a small bald spot started forming in the back of my head about age 24 but around age 28 it started to get worse. I then tried rogaine but I just happened to be one of those cases where it magnified my hair loss (read the back of rogaine it warns of this) I'm glad that it did just putting off what was going to happen anyway. I then started shaving around age 31 been better ever since.

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »
I started losing my hair at 29 :o. Think it is realy unfair at that age :(. U think u have dodged the bullet (actually never thought about balding before that) when u survive the 29+ years with a full head of hair, but then suddenly i struck. Will be off Propecia untill january 2010 because of a bet. Since i stopped taking it my hairloss picks up again. Actually P seems to be really working for me, even though i don't really like this drug in me. if hairloss keeps up like this i will be a bald guy before medics find a cure  :-[.

you think 29 is unfair? try 20. i woldnt give a s*** if i lost my hair that old. thats normal.

Hmmmmm, now i feel realy old (and bald). Normal or not (in your world), losing your hair after getting acquainted to it really sucks, no matter what age. Maybe dudes like me are used to hair longer than dudes like u!!!.

Judging ur pics, you probably look better without a full head of hair than with one, so i think u are the lucky one being a handsome bald dude.

P.s. know i should stop whining and complaining about fate. Not the end of the world, but still think i should have hair. Still have a grocery-store-load of hair styling products i cannot say goodbye to even though they are worthless right now.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
I was born with no hair!  Dr went to smack my ass and it was my head!  I should go visit him lol

Offline barcafan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
Started losing at around 16, sucked.  HARD

Offline youngtraveller

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:43 AM »
probably about 16.. norwood 3 currently aged 20.. and as above.. it SUCKS hard.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »
I guess I am lucky in that I didn't start thinning until my mid fifties.  Granted, I still have a lot of hair.  My choice to go Sly only came about from the dislike of hair texture.  If I slept wrong, I had to spend hours trying to get the S**t to lay down.  Going Sly has completely gotten rid of this problem.  I can't tell you how many people had complimented me on the slick dome.  Talk about an ego booster.  Everyone says that they have received bad comments over going Sly.  Try, bad comments over crappy hair.  Explosion in a brillow pad, head full of pubic hair, etc.  Really got old.  Sooooooooo, it is the Sly life for me.  What a relief!!!!!!!!
Ghost and the other's who can't accept hair loss,  I really eny you.  If all mine fell out today, I would be the happiest man in the World.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
My hair has never thinned and the hairline hardly receded at all.

I'm going prematurely gray, though, and shaving seemed like a good way to help me look younger.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
I haven't been to the forum in awhile, but just reading through people's posts (namely the younger guys) who are sad about hairloss, makes me want to jump in - grab you by the bald head, and shake the nonsense out.

Like Razor said: True confidence comes from standing in the face of opposition.  So very TRUE.  Am I the only one who finds that exciting!?!?  No real man wants to live life in the background letting people walk all over him, doing what others find as comfortable.  NO.  Do not worship your neighbor.  Be you.

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »
around age 34
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair