Author Topic: No turning back now  (Read 15346 times)

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
No turning back now
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
I'm 32 and have been dealing with MPB since I was 20 or so, but more severely in the past five years.

After work yesterday I was talking with a few coworkers and we were giving each other shi7 about our hair (or lack thereof). I said that one day I would buzz it all off, which I had thought about on and off for some time. Then it occurred to me, when will it be "one day"?

Last night I mentioned the idea to my wife (which I think was one factor that held me back before), and she said, "why not give it a try?" So, on the way home from work I bought myself some Wahls. I was coming home a bit early to watch this kids while she had "girls night", and I told her that I would be clipping tonight. Soon after she left, I put on a #2 guard and ran it up the side of my head.

"It's ok - you can get it fixed at the barber tomorrow!" I thought. No, F that. I kept running the clippers along the horseshoe, and then finally across the pate.

Ok, nice and horseshoe. Let's buzz more. Repeat the drill with the #1, then the #0, then no guard.

(My 3 1/2 year old son was watching the entire time. First he said, "that's scary" but soon it was "I'm not scared. Don't cut me." Later he said it was "pretty" and he kept running his hands over it saying "wow" or "it hurts".)

Now I am on a no-guard cut of 1.5 mm. I called the wife and told her that our baby was asleep, our boy was playing with me, and I was a maru-bouzu (my wife's Japanese, which we speak at home. Maru-bouzu is a term for a very short buzz all around the head like a Buddhist monk has.)

With the no-guard cut, the horseshoe is less pronounced but still there. I will probably attack it with my 1951 Gilette Super Speed tomorrow (or have my barber do it - they do shaves), but I wanted to let the wife see the maru-bouzu beforehead.

No "after" pics right now, but here is me as of May 2008.  Not that bad (I'd like to think), but I was well on my way.

Will post after pics this weekend.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: No turning back now
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
You can rock it successfully. I think it will look much better as well.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:56:45 PM »
From your before pic with the widows peak, I can tell that you will look great being slick. Congrats and welcome.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
All you have to lose is bondage but in exchange you will gain an incredible feeling of freedom and control!   O0

Welcome!

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
I can see right now that you are really happy about what you have done.  Im sure it looks great...but please post up a pic...we are all anxiously waiting...and just for your info...I gotta go pee...so hurry up...

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »
The wife came home just now as I was about to go to bed. She had a pretty good reaction and smile. After she showers up and winds down a bit she said she'll feel it.  O0

I'll probably go to my barber tomorrow morning and have them shave it down. I used to go there for a shave and haircut every other Saturday. Now I'll be going in for some weird hybrid thereof.

I'll post a shaved pic over the weekend after my visit to the barber.

EDIT: Beautiful young Japanese wife can't stop touching it and agreed that smooth is the way to go. She really liked it, saying I look younger and I have a good shape head for it. Also, it helped that I lost the weight. I used to be over 250 lbs, but over the last year got down to 170 (now I keep it in the 170s), and having the visible cheekbones and such helps pull it off better, I think.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:01:52 AM by Tanizaki »

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »
I can tell already this is going to be good.  I bet you look 10 years younger.

I also admire your attitude.  No fence sitting for you.  Have a good weekend and welcome to the gang!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:16:56 AM »
Yeah yeah... we already knew you'd be a big hit!  :*))

Next stop... HEADBLADE!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »
You are going to love it!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 07:20:11 AM »
I can tell already this is going to be good.  I bet you look 10 years younger.

I also admire your attitude.  No fence sitting for you.  Have a good weekend and welcome to the gang!
Fence-sitting is no way to go for an alpha male. Am I rite!  O0

Just got back from the barber about 30 minutes ago. Still have a bit of shadow but here is how I look now. The wife likes it over the no-guard buzz. Even though my 3 1/2 year old son watched me buzz it all last night, when I came back he asked, "Where's your kaminoke? (hair)"

Now to work on the pale skin horseshoe. O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 07:22:02 AM »
Looks terrific!

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »
Welcome to SBG! That was a swift decision...looks great. How do YOU like it?

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:10 AM »
Congratulations
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tanizaki

• Sly Jr.
  • Upper crust
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »
Welcome to SBG! That was a swift decision...looks great. How do YOU like it?
I am still getting used to it, but I think it was an improvement.  O0

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »
Definite improvement and it did take a few years off for sure.

Enter your email address: