Author Topic: Feeling bad about MPB?  (Read 18738 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Feeling bad about MPB?
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
The one place I go where there are as many, perhaps more, sly guys than hairy guys is the gym.  There's this one guy in particular; if I had to guess his age I'd say early 40s.  Shaved slick with a slight shadow that shows that he's completely MPB.  He's in excellent shape.  He only has one arm;  his left arm is completely missing from the shoulder.  It's amazing what he can lift with one arm and how he can keep his balance.  He does with relative ease what many of us with two good arms struggle to do.

So it just kind of struck me when I saw him working out tonight:  if this guy was given a choice and could have either his hair or his arm back, which do you think he'd choose?   ???   I've never even spoken to the guy, but I'd be willing to bet that he couldn't care less that he's bald.

Just something to think about the next time you feel like your life is ruined because you're going bald.   Just count your blessings, shave your head smooth, and get over it.  You're one of the lucky ones. ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:06:56 PM by RazorX »

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: Feeling bad about MPB?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
Kinda helps put things back in perspective X!   O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
Kinda helps put things back in perspective X!   O0
O0 O0 O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:36 PM »
Wise words X, great perspective.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »
Very good point.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
Wise beyond your years my good man.

Excellent story.

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:58:35 PM »
Excellent lesson in perspective. 

Pshrynk

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:25 PM »
Yup

it's only losing hair...

it's nowhere near the heart  ;)

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
See...you can finally say something deep and meaningful here bro....

just kidding!!! ;)

Thanks for sharing dude!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »
See...you can finally say something deep and meaningful here bro....

Yep ... now it's your turn.    ^-^

Thanks for sharing dude!

Anytime.   :)

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:06:42 AM »
LOL. Of course there's always someone who's worse off than for example me. Should that make me feel better? Should I feel better that I'm balding and living in our vain western society just because children are starving in Africa? I don't think so.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
Yes I suppose it should make you feel better.  It should make you realise that there are more important things, that really there are far worse things that can happen.  Whenever I feel down about my MPB, i think, amongst other things, what would happen now if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I would have finished my life worrying about something which in the wider scheme of things if we were able to look in from the outside is a little trivial. 

Yes bald men will always be held up for a certain amount of ridicule, but that is just human nature, to pick fun at things that deviate from the image of perfection.  But the same applies to big people, short people, fat people, thin people, need I go on.  Just a collection of the idiosyncracies that make the human race so fascinating. 

Another story that springs to mind is an ex girlfriend.  She was 5ft 3 tall and size 8 UK (not sure of the US equivalent), but she was tiny.  She ate like a horse, did little exercise but was just small.  She had all her jealous (fatter) friends tell her how lucky she was for being 'skinny' what they failed to understand that she was experiencing exactly the same as them just in a different way, and the supposed victims were actually the perpitrators of making her feel worse.  What I am trying to say is that there is always an alternative view and sometimes we need to step outside of our skin, walk around in somebody elses shoes and imagine how people look at you.  I fear much more people thinking I am self conscious, vain and lacking in confidence than I do the fact that they might mention that my head shines a little more than it used to.  Afterall, each and everyone of those people has a little 'imperfection' of their own.  It is that imperfection that makes us all perfect!
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »
Yes.  There's always someone worse of than yourself.  It really did put things in perspective.  Very wise words indeed.   O0

Why was it though, that I was reading down the posts and thought; 'I bet yep-yep won't agree with this - bet he'll post somethin arguing against it...'

And he did.  i wasnt disappointed. ::)

Sorry, yep-yep - but you're gettin a bit predictable here.

Offline Joe442

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 06:18:46 AM »
Awesome perspective Razor!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:35:42 AM »
LOL. Of course there's always someone who's worse off than for example me. Should that make me feel better? Should I feel better that I'm balding and living in our vain western society just because children are starving in Africa? I don't think so.

Yes, you should be thanking your lucky stars that you don't have worse problems to deal with.  :Xo!

Do you have any intention of ever putting this "problem" behind you or are you just going to whine and bitch about it forever?