Author Topic: Feeling bad about MPB?  (Read 18740 times)

Offline north

• Sly Jr.
Re: Feeling bad about MPB?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
I don't feel all that bad about going bald quite honestly.
I have had things put into perspective, by my own health.

Recently i've been getting tests done on a very large lump on my leg (when it was first measured it was approximately 13cmx13cm) which is located on the back upper portion of my leg around the hamstring.
This was quite a shock, as I figured it could be very bad, well a few weeks ago I found out what it was. The first thing my doctor said was "Good news, it's not going to kill you."
Having something so cut and dry having something that will kill you against something that won't, really puts life in perspective.
If you're curious, it was a toss up between 2 things, muscle cancer (which really is quite dangerous) and what I have which is treated like cancer, but isn't cancer.

I know it's not something that is going to kill me, but having something like that happen to me at such a young age really did open my eyes.
And honestly, it is still a very large procedure, with radiation for at least a month and then a huge (my doctors specific words) surgery.

So what if i'm losing my hair.
Life really could get worse.

It's made me much less negative, honestly.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
Yes, nothing like a good reality check to help you put things in perspective.  Good luck with your treatments.  I'm glad it's not more serious.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
Hang in there, Bro !
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

marty22

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »
good new pic, Razor X!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:13 PM »
good new pic, Razor X!

Thanks.

It looks good, not so bad *ss, but was there any reason to ditch the goat, you seemed to really like it, I mean w/ the weekly trips to the barber for trimming and all.  I've thought of one, but the grey hair puts me off.  What's the story?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »

It looks good, not so bad *ss, but was there any reason to ditch the goat, you seemed to really like it, I mean w/ the weekly trips to the barber for trimming and all.  I've thought of one, but the grey hair puts me off.  What's the story?

Just fancied a change for a bit.  There aren't too many options available to a sly guy, ya know?  ;)

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
LOL. Of course there's always someone who's worse off than for example me. Should that make me feel better? Should I feel better that I'm balding and living in our vain western society just because children are starving in Africa? I don't think so.

I actually agree with yep-yep. If that would be true you would never get exited from something just because you know people are dying of hunger. If you turn RazorX's statement around, this would also mean that every time you see someone that is more lucky, rich, more healthy etc. than yourself you also should relate to that guys faith (wich will probably lead to jealousy, bitterness etc.)?

I just recently discovered my hair seems to be thinning. I never realised that this could happen to me. I am pretty vain about my hair and like to change styles. If this thinning has got anything to do with MPB and is not temporarily and continues to thin on this speed i will have to cut my hair shorter. People probably will start noticing soon. I find this a pretty BIG deal! My soccer pals from when i was in my teens are all bald. Last week i told one of them that i thought i was thinning and he replied: "finally we can welcome you to our club"! I also found that a pretty BIG deal. Don't think i can get used to the idea of me turning into a baldy and becoming a "member".

Pretty superficial, i know. But no armless man or dying people can help that.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »

If you're that hell-bent on being negative, you're beyond help from anyone or anything.

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »

If you're that hell-bent on being negative, you're beyond help from anyone or anything.

The titel of this thread was "feeling bad about MPB", therefor i shared my thoughts on that subject. I realise that my statement written down pretty 'primary' and i should have given it some more thought before writing. It was too blunt and maybe even outright insulting, especially that last sentence. there was no harm intended, but I appologise for that.

nevertheless, even i understand that this problem is insignificant compared to other problems. But in day to day life comparing this MPB- situation to really serious problems doesn't make me feel that much better. I am not a very negative person, but this "insignificant" MPB-problem has it's affect on self confidence which has some effect on overall mood. maybe in time the 'prospect' will not be so frightning. Nevertheless, i am not very close to acceptance.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »

The titel of this thread was "feeling bad about MPB", therefor i shared my thoughts on that subject. I realise that my statement written down pretty 'primary' and i should have given it some more thought before writing. It was too blunt and maybe even outright insulting, especially that last sentence. there was no harm intended, but I appologise for that.

nevertheless, even i understand that this problem is insignificant compared to other problems. But in day to day life comparing this MPB- situation to really serious problems doesn't make me feel that much better. I am not a very negative person, but this "insignificant" MPB-problem has it's affect on self confidence which has some effect on overall mood. maybe in time the 'prospect' will not be so frightning. Nevertheless, i am not very close to acceptance.

How about this? If you were given a choice of loosing, your sight, a limb or your hair, which would you choose? And don't say I wouldn't choose any of them. Your first answer to this question will tell you a little bit about yourself.

I for one would choose the loss of my hair over the others. But then again I could very well loose my sight and a limb right along with my hair. Then I could really have something to B!TCH about. God forbid.

I feel fortunate that my hair is the only thing I have lost (other than my mind, gee I sure do miss it).  :/O
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline NWTRNR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
Actually I think I get both camps of comments on this. It seems we are all usually very focused on our own individual lives and our own personal trials and tribulations, successes and failures. What's a big deal to one person may however be a non-thought to another. Doesn't mean it isn't a big deal to the first person though.

For example, yesterday my son brought home a balloon yesterday from a party. It was twisted into the shape of a sword and he was so excited about it. Well, as you might imagine, it didn't take long for his "sword" to pop and that just shattered his world. To you and I it was just a little balloon -- but its getting popped upset him a lot. To him, it was a big deal.

Yes, we're adults and this is a kid, however, I think we, at least emotionally, aren't that far removed from kids much. Yes, we can get that there are more important things out there, but until it happens close to home, it unfortunately often doesn't seem to garner a lot of action or help ease our own demons.

That said, I, personally, do like to hear stories like this because it can help be a reality check, and knowing that you are better off in one respect than someone else -- or that things could be much worse, can sometimes help ease the other internal burdens and hang-ups we carry around.

[img width= height= alt=nwtrnr]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080717/sampb702d8c3b336d97d.jpg[/img]

marty22

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
Razor X; now you're dating yourself with that pic!

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:55 PM »

Is that a typewriter in that pic? WOW! :*)) I remember Grandpa telling me about those contraptions. ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:05:27 PM by fr8train »
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »

Is that a typewriter in that pic? WOW! :*)) I remember Grandpa telling me about those contraptions. ;D

No, you're confused.  You remember Grandpa telling you about a hammer and chisel and a stone tablet.   >:D   $@y

Enter your email address: