Author Topic: Deciding to give it a go-  (Read 15588 times)

spaceape48

Deciding to give it a go-
« on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »
I'll start with a lil bit about myself: I'm 22/m with thinning hair on the top of my head. I received this genetic gift from my grandfather, and I have been dealing with it since about senior year high school. Just the other day I was looking at old pics, some from just a year ago, and it is amazing how quickly it's all starting to fade. It's getting to a point now where in certain light it looks ridiculous, almost as if I am already bald on top. It used to bother me but I'm getting over it.

I've been planning to shave it off eventually, but till now decided to wait for two reasons; to enjoy the hair while I can, and secondly to try and loose some weight. I'd buzzed my hair down a couple times in the past to about a one or two guard, but due to being an overweight guy, couldn't help but worry that I looked like Uncle Fester from "The Adams Family".

In the past year I've lost about thirty pounds, putting me down to about 215lbs at 5'10. I'm still a big dude, but not like before. I like to think muscle weighs more than fat anyhow. I've been reading up on this site and others, and have decided to quit trying to hold on to the hair, and to simply let it go. The feeling of the wind through your hair is one thing, but the feel of the wind over a bald dome is a completely different and better feeling. This Friday I'm going to stop and get some shaving oil and some after-cair, from there it's happening.

I'll do my best to post pics of before and after.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Deciding to give it a go-
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »
Welcome, space....

Glad to hear you're goin' for it.  Wish I could join you...but I too am losing a bit of weight before I do it.

Congrats on the weight loss! that's not an unsubstantial accomplishment!

Try to get a pic in your profile and share your shave experience with us!

Peace, brutha
robmeister

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
welcome spaceape. go for it brother. you will not regret it. but you have to tell us the story behind the name. it is funny and i gotta know the story.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »
Welcome to the club, bro
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
A warm welcome from me as well. :)

It's great you decided to give it a go. I had similar concerns (I too was overweight, and I too had inherited it from my grandfather - the thinning hair, not the pounds), so I can totally understand your point of view on this.

Give it a go, and you'll see it was totally worthwhile. Check out the shaving section for tips and advice on
how to shave your head, or just ask any of us, we'd be glad to help.

Looking forward to seeing your pics...
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »
Welcome Spaceape!!  Looking forward to seeing those pics!  Congrats on your new decision.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

chadoweasel

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »
Welcome

Let us know how it turns out. Its fun to read about someone shaving it off for the first time. Im happy for you.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:51:36 PM »
Well yet another great welcome from me as well, SpaceApe!  As many have alread said and as I have in the past, just do it!  You most likly love it and wonder why it took so long to take the jump.  If for some reason you don't like it, well the stuff does grow back. ;)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

spaceape48

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
Thanks all. The name is just something me and a friend laughed about back in highschool. I guess it's just stuck with me threw the years. I've been likened to an ape or monkey many times- that's really the only origin I can give you,lol.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

I like to think muscle weighs more than fat anyhow.

It does!  Congrats on the weight loss, and welcome aboard the sly express!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:20:45 PM »
Hi and welcome spaceape!

As you said, you're enjoying your hair while you can... but don't wait too long and be one of "those comb-over guys"   :P

Offline Christian

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:14:50 AM »
Welcome!

Just shave your head and see if you like it. As you already have thinning hair I guess that it is the best idea and a lot of ppl will understand why you shaved and say: best idea ... that looks great now. :)

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Spaceape,

As your welcome present I will bestow upon you a new analogy that I just came up with for hair on a guys head.

Ahem...........

Hair on a guys head, is like a bra on a woman.

Once you take it off, you don't want it back on!

Noner

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »
Once again Noner proves his wisdom!  That is why he is a famous guy.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 02:45:13 PM »
Spaceape,

As your welcome present I will bestow upon you a new analogy that I just came up with for hair on a guys head.

Ahem...........

Hair on a guys head, is like a bra on a woman.

Once you take it off, you don't want it back on!

Noner

We know you know about one, Noner .... now what do you know about the second .......................
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt