Author Topic: Wondering if my life is tough enough for my haircut.  (Read 9554 times)

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
  • My wife and me. She loves the look!
Re: Wondering if my life is tough enough for my haircut.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
Thats really good insight.  I'm really happy I posted this question, silly as it was.
That'll do, donkey.  That'll do.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:12 AM »
Hello welcome, Cameron!

Our look is just one facet of us.

Life is itself sometimes hard and you need all your strength and power and toughness to do a good job. I wish all the best for you and your nice wife!!!!!!

J

BALDANDRE

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

What do you guys do to keep excitement and boldness in your lives (for your own sake)?  Or, are your kids and careers enough and leave you just wanting a comfortable Laz-E-Boy in the evenings?

I bought 3 different houses, lived in them 2 years consecutively and flipped them all...with a full time job,with redo's on those houses, working on a few clients houses and trying to stay social...

who has time to feel like they're livin' wimpy?!

get your hands dirty...that'll make you feel a lot more tough on the inside!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
Great point BA, that always helps ya feel macho.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
Well I find that a good day of dirtbiking or snowboarding makes me realize how much of a p***y I really am. You want that Vin Diesel adventure, go huck yourself up and down a mountain on a dirtbike.... Go play tackle football in the mud....

I see alot of guys that are weekend warriors on their Harleys and other v-twin cruisers that actually seem to strap on the tough guy attitude with their brain bucket. Now dont get me wrong, playing tough guy biker like kids play "Army" or "Pirates" is ok I guess but the feeling of keeping my wife happy, staying in good shape,  fixing my house and BUILDING my own bikes keeps the "lack of toughness" feelings at bay... I know I am tough, I dont need a superficial fantasy to affirm it.

My advise, be tough, dont act tough.

Acting tough will result in your ass being handed to you.

Being tough will only occur as a result of dealing with life like a real man... being a good parent, treating your wife with love and respect, speaking up when others are to chicken to do so... you know the things that are much tougher than getting your ass kicked in a bar fight.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »
Once again... MARZ hits the nail squarely on the head.........

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

BALDANDRE

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »

Being tough will only occur as a result of dealing with life like a real man... being a good parent, treating your wife with love and respect, speaking up when others are to chicken to do so... you know the things that are much tougher than getting your ass kicked in a bar fight.

Aww, Master Marz , uh, speake the truths!

(That was my best Shaolin monk voice, btw ;))

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »

Well, maybe I'm the only one who desires this in himself.  But I doubt it.  Anyway--I'm facing a bit of a dilemma in life right now.  I'm 22 and in law school.  I have, for various reasons, gone from planning on applying to be a breaking-down-the-door FBI Special Agent to being a behind-the-desk lawyer.  My life's career has subsequently lost all of its "Baldness".

What are you talking about????  I've been a "behind the desk" lawyer almost my entire practice.  Your going to need "baldness" everytime some other member of our honored profession tries to play games w/ you--a much more common event in the "behind the desk" practice and much more subtle at times.  People remember you when you're sly, you're just a place filler w/ a fringe or dying mop.  You are the "man" at the table when you arrive at a meeting, dome shining, and PROPERLY PREPARED.  Never, but never, go unprepared, and always assume that attorney on the other side of the table knows more than you.  That way you'll rarely be suprised, and will do the best job for the client--& that's what you've studied for, professional representation of your client's interest. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
I've been building online businesses one the side of my "day job" and let me tell you, sitting down and negotiating with CEOs and owners of companies can help you feel like a bad ass when you close a deal.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »
Too much good input to respond to each.... I am thoroughly convinced that my fears were unfounded.  I really appreciate that.  I've been spending a lot of energy second guessing my decisions, and I think I can put that to rest.

Good advise about the practice of law.  I'm glad to hear of other people in the field who shave, I've caught a bit of flack about that here (not that I care what they think, but if my future clients are disadvantaged because of my hair choices... but it does not seem like that is the case).

I agree that Marz (and pretty much everoyne else) is right that manliness or whatever is exhumed by living virtuously in daily life.  I really like that, I'll have to keep it in mind.

Rghh!  I fear I'm spending too much time on this forum when I've got a big legal memo due next Monday! :) :)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »
I fear I'm spending too much time on this forum when I've got a big legal memo due next Monday! :) :)

Get used to it, bro.  Unless you wanna go cold turkey, it's hard to stay away. ;)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

I agree that Marz (and pretty much everoyne else) is right that manliness or whatever is exhumed by living virtuously in daily life.  I really like that, I'll have to keep it in mind.

Not completely... you still have to throw back a couple of beers with your buddies now and then (just to solve the worlds problems and save mankind from certain peril).

The occasional physical sacrifice helps as well (snowboarding, arm wrestling, football, whatever). If you dont wake up a little sore or with a couple of bruises, you did it wrong.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »
Oh, I'm an absolutely fanatical weight lifter.  I'm always sore.  But some football does sound like a good idea.  And beer is always on the menu, though I have to limit it for financial reasons (both my wife and I are full time students).

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
Oh, I'm an absolutely fanatical weight lifter.  I'm always sore.  But some football does sound like a good idea.  And beer is always on the menu, though I have to limit it for financial reasons (both my wife and I are full time students).

All part of a balanced man diet.  O0

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
I hesitate to share my sorted story .. but here goes ..About 6 months ago I was fired from my IT Management position. I was replaced by the consultant that was hired to assist me .. go figure.  It was nothing personal.  At first I was really mad about it,  but then,  I used my energy to start my own business.  Now,  if that guy offered to hire me back at five times the salary I wouldn't do it.  Owning my own business is amazing.  I feel like all my effort comes back to me. 

My previous boss told me that since I shaved my head I looked like a gay forest ranger;  and there were other comments from time to time.  Some positive,  some curious,  some wanting advise on dome-care.  When I became unemployed I thought seriously about growing my hair back to be a more attractive employment candidate.  Then one day I woke up and said,  "Screw it".  I really love being sly and this is who I am.  Rather than shave every other day I started shaving every day and using some of the head blade product. 

So .. here I sit,  in my upstairs home-office working for myself,  making a paycheck for my family,  and I am bald to boot.  I am loving it,  I never plan to go back.  I guess there is a sort of confidence in being bbc,  being my own man,  sporting my own look and not caring who cares!

.. and it occurs to me that that may have been a bit off topic,  but you'all were talking about professionals who are bald and confidence and it just got me going ..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:29:23 PM by SlickShane »