Author Topic: Wondering if my life is tough enough for my haircut.  (Read 9553 times)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Wondering if my life is tough enough for my haircut.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
I hesitate to share my sorted story .. but here goes ..About 6 months ago I was fired from my IT Management position. I was replaced by the consultant that was hired to assist me .. go figure.  It was nothing personal.  At first I was really mad about it,  but then,  I used my energy to start my own business.  Now,  if that guy offered to hire me back at five times the salary I wouldn't do it.  Owning my own business is amazing.  I feel like all my effort comes back to me. 

My previous boss told me that since I shaved my head I looked like a gay forest ranger;  and there were other comments from time to time.  Some positive,  some curious,  some wanting advise on dome-care.  When I became unemployed I thought seriously about growing my hair back to be a more attractive employment candidate.  Then one day I woke up and said,  "Screw it".  I really love being sly and this is who I am.  Rather than shave every other day I started shaving every day and using some of the head blade product. 

So .. here I sit,  in my upstairs home-office working for myself,  making a paycheck for my family,  and I am bald to boot.  I am loving it,  I never plan to go back.  I guess there is a sort of confidence in being bbc,  being my own man,  sporting my own look and not caring who cares!

.. and it occurs to me that that may have been a bit off topic,  but you'all were talking about professionals who are bald and confidence and it just got me going ..

Right on! Thats awesome!

That Gay forest ranger thing... I would have definitely said, "Funny, you look like a guy wishing I was a gay forest ranger".

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

JohnMont

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »
But bald.  Even better :)

Are any of you like me and feel like the minivan guy, and not the warrior?  (Not that anything is wrong with a minivan--I'll have one soon enough, I'm sure.)  But am I alone in these sorts of feelings?  Basically, the question is, how does one keep alive one's inner Vin Diesel (or insert your particular favorite here) and still live practically?  How do you all do it?  Or is this not really a problem for you guys?

Thanks for your thoughts.  I love this place already.

Part of the solution might be to HIT THE GYM, big time; after you're done working at your desk.  You will soon find yourself livining up to your tough guy self image even behind the desk.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
Marz
Sounds like the "Lets layoff the higher salary guy and let the lower salary woker take his job, and we wont replace the higher paid employee....." stuff.  Think what life must be like for the person who replaced you; double the workload for fewer bucks.  You're far better off not being there.

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
  • My wife and me. She loves the look!
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »
Gay forest ranger?  C'mon.  You know, though us bald guys are few and far between, I would still put our money on us versus the whole rest of humanity.  Really doesn't seem prudent to insult us as a group--just look at the photos of all the bad motherf'ers on here!  And such a bad insult, at that.

Excellent story, Shane, thats exactly what I'm talking about... that confidence is what its all about!

That'll do, donkey.  That'll do.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
I hesitate to share my sorted story .. but here goes ..About 6 months ago I was fired from my IT Management position. I was replaced by the consultant that was hired to assist me .. go figure.  It was nothing personal.  At first I was really mad about it,  but then,  I used my energy to start my own business.  Now,  if that guy offered to hire me back at five times the salary I wouldn't do it.  Owning my own business is amazing.  I feel like all my effort comes back to me. 

My previous boss told me that since I shaved my head I looked like a gay forest ranger;  and there were other comments from time to time.  Some positive,  some curious,  some wanting advise on dome-care.  When I became unemployed I thought seriously about growing my hair back to be a more attractive employment candidate.  Then one day I woke up and said,  "Screw it".  I really love being sly and this is who I am.  Rather than shave every other day I started shaving every day and using some of the head blade product. 

So .. here I sit,  in my upstairs home-office working for myself,  making a paycheck for my family,  and I am bald to boot.  I am loving it,  I never plan to go back.  I guess there is a sort of confidence in being bbc,  being my own man,  sporting my own look and not caring who cares!

.. and it occurs to me that that may have been a bit off topic,  but you'all were talking about professionals who are bald and confidence and it just got me going ..

Right on Shane...I'm glad you're making a great go of it on your own..good inspiration for ME this time!

I'm really diggin' that it got you to be an every day shaver..

Bald 24/7 is the best way to be...and I remember when you had doubts brutha!

Very cool bro! O0 O0 O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »
That's awesome Shane!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »
I used my energy to start my own business.  Now,  if that guy offered to hire me back at five times the salary I wouldn't do it.  Owning my own business is amazing.  I feel like all my effort comes back to me. 

Awesome, Shane! That's a really tough decision! Your life is in your hands - each day and you rock it!

J

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 07:07:27 AM »
All I will say is being Bald and Sly ROCKS!...no one can take that away from me....no matter how many negative comments one makes....I have an invisible shield around me...what ever they throw at me ...just bounces off and sticks to them.  I mean..look at it....if someone is constantly throwing out negative thoughts...what does that say about them?????   They have their own insecurities in my book.  So before you start judging someone else....clean out your own closet!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »
It doesn't take a big man to knock somebody down just a little courage to lift him off the ground!

Bro, you don't need to be a hulk to be tough, its 90 percent attitude and 10 percent how you carry yourself.

Your becoming a lawyer right? If you look at every case as a fight to the death your going to come out on top time and time again, and you will gain respect and might even become feared by your opposition. "Be all you can be" Be the best damn lawyer you can!

That sounds tough as balls to me.

Offline PORKY

• Super Sly
    • http://mypage.com/PORKMIEZTER
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »
WELL... you said "A motorcycle is a good idea, I've definitely thought about that.  I bet that's a blast.  My wife was riding in a bus when it hit and killed a motorcyclist, so that might be a tough sell with her, but she'd get over it" does she STILL ride BUS'S ? That always gets me... ya have a car accident and NO PROBLEM , ya get another car/truck and go on just like nothing happened BUT if your on a motorcycle THATS a whole nother story .... probally the last time you ride. Almost 90% of motorcycle accidents involve left hand turns , people just DONT have any depth/speed perception when dealing with left hand turners !  A large percentage of CAR accidents involve left hand turns ALSO !
I'm a BIG cigar smokin,bike ridin,truck muddin,bald headed ,long bearded,tattoo'd, no sh*t takin, Southern bred, Tequila drinkin SUMANA BYTCH

Offline jaymark18

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 12:37:21 AM »
definitely you make your life completed if you have a motorcycle with a blast, i think you can ride any day you like..

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:05:25 AM by jaymark18 »

adam_r_todd

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »
I completely identify with this post.  I would've responded sooner, but haven't been on in a while.  I'll admit, I've wondered too if I'm tough enough for the look.  I'm a lawyer.  I'm also the father of three young kids and thus, often behind the wheel of the family minivan.  To make matters worse, I'm not your stereotypical tough guy.  I sing.  I play the piano and guitar.  The only sport I "played" in high school was running track.  Don't get me wrong; I can shoot a gun and ride ATVs.  I camp and get my hands dirty regularly with home remodeling projects, etc.   

I think the first impression people have of me is not accurate.  But, that's another reason I advocate the sly look for me and anybody who likes it.  It makes people more interested when they get to know me.  I'm not what they expect.   ;)  I also think the sly look counterbalances all the stuff going against my "toughness."  I needed something to avoid being a total fairy. 

I've been in private practice for 5 years.  I've been sly for about 3 months and the responses have been mostly positive.  My haircut has never cost me a client.

Of course you're right for the sly look.  The very definition of sly is confidence, casting off the ridiculous social notion that being bald is inferior, and embracing who you are.  If you want to be sly (even while driving a minivan instead of a motorcycle), sport it proud my brutha.   O0 

Offline baldmancometh

• Sly Jr.
  • Inner game is amplified by a shiny head
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »
Hey man I'm gonna tell you I've had a lot of "tough guy" jobs: dock worker, boat hand, construction, etc. But, the toughest thing is being enough of a man to give up the things you want for your family. I now raise my two children as a single father and it's harder than anything else I've ever done. So no matter what job you've got if you can support your family, keep them happy, and be a man and not complain about it then your tough as nails in my book. Mini-van or not.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

SlyHigh

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
I bought 3 different houses, lived in them 2 years consecutively and flipped them all...with a full time job,with redo's on those houses, working on a few clients houses and trying to stay social...

who has time to feel like they're livin' wimpy?!

get your hands dirty...that'll make you feel a lot more tough on the inside!

I completely identify with this post.  I would've responded sooner, but haven't been on in a while.  I'll admit, I've wondered too if I'm tough enough for the look.  I'm a lawyer.  I'm also the father of three young kids and thus, often behind the wheel of the family minivan.  To make matters worse, I'm not your stereotypical tough guy.  I sing.  I play the piano and guitar.  The only sport I "played" in high school was running track.  Don't get me wrong; I can shoot a gun and ride ATVs.  I camp and get my hands dirty regularly with home remodeling projects, etc.

You guys are my life story too.

I just bought my third house in five years.  The first two I lived in for 2 years each and flipped them.  MAJOR remodeling.

I play the piano and bass guitar.  I never played any sports (I'm playing church league softball now and I suck, it sometimes hurts my manhood but we all just have fun).  I can shoot a gun and have an ATV.  I get dirty will all my home remodeling (this weekend I was crawling on my belly in standing water and mud under the house).

All of us have things we do that are very manly but we take for granted.  Men respect the fact I can fix anything on a house.  To me, re-wiring a house is no big deal.  Other men don't have a clue.  Playing the piano doesn't seem too tough, but there are "tough" guys who wish they could play.  I lift weights several times a week, too.

The problem is that we don't always get recognition from the man-brotherhood.  Stereotypes say that being tough is riding a Harley and weilding a blow torch on a daily basis.  That's not true.  Just don't take for granted who you already are and the things you already do.

I've struggled with these same issues.  I never really grew up with many good guy friends (still don't have too many).  I just have to take advantage of opportunities to put myself into those "man" situations, like playing ball, going on 4-wheeler rides, or helping a buddy on his house.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
You guys are my life story too.

I just bought my third house in five years.  The first two I lived in for 2 years each and flipped them.  MAJOR remodeling.

I play the piano and bass guitar.  I never played any sports (I'm playing church league softball now and I suck, it sometimes hurts my manhood but we all just have fun).  I can shoot a gun and have an ATV.  I get dirty will all my home remodeling (this weekend I was crawling on my belly in standing water and mud under the house).

All of us have things we do that are very manly but we take for granted.  Men respect the fact I can fix anything on a house.  To me, re-wiring a house is no big deal.  Other men don't have a clue.  Playing the piano doesn't seem too tough, but there are "tough" guys who wish they could play.  I lift weights several times a week, too.

The problem is that we don't always get recognition from the man-brotherhood.  Stereotypes say that being tough is riding a Harley and weilding a blow torch on a daily basis.  That's not true.  Just don't take for granted who you already are and the things you already do.

I've struggled with these same issues.  I never really grew up with many good guy friends (still don't have too many).  I just have to take advantage of opportunities to put myself into those "man" situations, like playing ball, going on 4-wheeler rides, or helping a buddy on his house.

Great post, man.  You are right on about the recognition from the man-brotherhood.  I love the "weilding a blow torch" part.  Right on. 

I've been there on the church softball league.  I sucked too.  It's all good - just have fun.  Since you have a shaved head, if anybody talks trash, all you have to do is make a scary face.