Author Topic: Prescription glasses?  (Read 43612 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Prescription glasses?
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:05:59 AM »
Hey Gang,

This is a spinoff of the sunglasses post.  Yes, cool shades are an awesome fit with a well-kept plate.

What about the prescription glasses look with the chromedome? (not prescription sunglasses--that's a no brainer, but plain ol' spectacles) Have any of you found it "doesn't quite fit" and have gone to contacts?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:18:35 AM by Robmeister »

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Prescription glasses?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »
I would be unable to say yay or nay personally, but I feel anyone could pull it off. Yeti pulls it off quite nicely as a matter of fact. I feel it would add an intellectual quality to the individual wearing them.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:12:34 AM »
Yeah...I had Yeti in mind, thinking his look is cool.  Didn't know how it fit me and don't recall who else on this site has included pics with glasses.

You mention the intellectual quality....It is getting interesting...the branching facets of the looks that are burgeoning for chromedomers.  One of the original looks (especially for bigger white guys) is the tough, "I-wouldn't-mess-with-him" quality.

I resinated with the aspect you hold significant....that when your daughter starts dating, your look might dissuade would-be "disrespecters" of her. 

Anyway, "intellectual quality"??.....good observation.  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:43:08 AM by Robmeister »

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »
Yes, the biggest advatage I find is the intimidation factor. Works well when drinking in the bar and someone wants to start crap.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »
I think one of the things a bald head can do for glasses is allow more choices.  When you have hair, you almost have to choose a pair that looks good with the overall style that you choose.  But, with a bald dome, you're more of a blank canvas.  You can go with various types of glasses.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »
If you get the right kind of glasses(ie that go well with your eyes) they dramatically enhance the bald look.

Case in point:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:14:16 PM by David »
bald for life

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 03:37:49 AM »
I have worn glasses since I was 8 years old (that’s 24 years if anyone’s counting). And it's kind of odd, but I found that for years I found my glasses to be a distraction to myself and others. It was something that attracted stuff like "four eyes' and other bullshit teasing. My answer was to find wire rims with the smallest lenses I could find. I wanted to draw attention away from the fact that I wore glasses.

As time wore on and I started performing music at renaissance festivals, glasses became impractical to say the least. So, I switched to contacts full time and had a full head of long curly red/blonde hair. I wore contacts full time for about 2 years and finally got tired of all the hassle that comes along with them.

When I shaved my head for the first time I was wearing an older pair of my glasses. black plastic frames that looked kinda geeky (which makes sense in that I AM in fact a big geek, I have developed into a big scary, geek). But I noticed that with my head shaved and my ears pierced at 0g, the glasses were suddenly a kind of striking addition to my face.

I think that bigger, thicker framed glasses look best with shaved heads. Since then I have worn 3 different pairs of prescription glasses and I always lean toward more ‘eye catching” frames. Now using them as a full time accessory rather than trying to hide them.

I have found that I don’t do much half-assed anymore. I tend to make more bold statements in my clothing and general appearance than many around me do. I have bold tattoos in plain site and have large earrings, I wear UtiliKilts just about every day and have never been more comfortable with myself physically than I am right now (ok, I need to start working out more, but otherwise...). Choosing to shave my head fulltime has definitely been a big part of my personal evolution. I stand out in a crowd and grin at the rest of that crowd as I wade through them every day.

In short, Go bald, go bold!

In case this doesn’t make sense to anybody but me, it’s after 2:30 in the morning....  bear with me.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
Great post Vash! 

I wear contacts and stopped wearing glasses because of the sports I played.  When I did wear glasses (before shaving my head) I also went for rims that looked virtually invisible.  But my wife and I recently went to get her some glasses and I was trying some on while I was in the store.  Everything I liked was also a thicker frame.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

spaceape48

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 06:14:34 PM »
I have those glasses that are rimless. They looked good with hair, but after shaving I wasn't digging them so much. I used to have some black thick frames- wish I had them now. It's crazy how different hair can make you look.

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »
I have both glasses and contacts, but everyone I know says I look better in my glasses.  My wife says that they frame my eyes well and that I look more sophisticated with them on.  If I get into it with someone and I take them off, they know a storm is coming! LOL
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!

pierrehenri

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
I used to wear john lennon like glasses and I looked like a real hippie while I had hair but it doesn't fit anymore now, it makes me look like a crazy german scientist ! Instead, I bought full rim glasses with a classic and a bit geeky shape that fits much more.

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »
I used to wear john lennon like glasses and I looked like a real hippie while I had hair but it doesn't fit anymore now, it makes me look like a crazy german scientist ! Instead, I bought full rim glasses with a classic and a bit geeky shape that fits much more.

I thought the crazy German scientist look was in this Spring. No? Ah hell, guess I gotta return these lab coats.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »
I've been wanting to try the Windsor style glasses for a while.  Next time I go for an eye appointment, I'll have to try some on.

pierrehenri

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
Blue Man Group training camp!

Hey, this is post 2000 for me!

woohoo!!!!!!!

I officially have no life at all.