Author Topic: Prescription glasses?  (Read 43616 times)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Prescription glasses?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
I buy my eyeglasses from www.zennioptical.com. Very pleased.  My last order was $166 delivered. Included FOUR pairs of lenses and frames.  One was a sunglass for my daughter. Two were bifocals and one distance only with magnetic sunglass stick on. 

At this price, even if something goes wrong with fit or something, just order more. Instead of paying the local optician $350 for ONE pair of glasses with a guaranteed satisfaction.

I have a pair of round glasses that I wear with my 1700's costume.  Some Rx Sunglasses, Some work glasses, Some distance only.  Just a bunch for different applications.  At this price.  You can afford multiple pairs.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
Mr Zed - you have bifocals ? I have two prescription strengths: one for reading and one for distance. Don't think I'm really for bifocals yet.

For anyone in the UK whose just got a new prescription and want to keep an existing pair of frames, I recommend Ciliaryblue to get your glasses reglazed. About £40 for new lenses.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
Mr. J .... actually, I have an Rx for trifocals. Love them, but hate the price.

Zenni only make Progressive lenses for a tri-focal prescription.  Really dislike progressives.  I've tried them several times.

Been wearing multi-focal glasses for probably 30 years.

Prefer single vision for the computer.  But really need at least bi's for general life except movies/shows and recreation. My reading lens is about +4.5 (pretty strong), plus astigmatism which makes everything blurry, close and far without glasses.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:40:45 PM by mrzed »

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Mr. J .... actually, I have an Rx for trifocals. Love them, but hate the price.

Zenni only make Progressive lenses for a tri-focal prescription.  Really dislike progressives.  I've tried them several times.

Been wearing multi-focal glasses for probably 30 years.

Prefer single vision for the computer.  But really need at least bi's for general life except movies/shows and recreation. My reading lens is about +4.5 (pretty strong), plus astigmatism which makes everything blurry, close and far without glasses.

Sounds like your eyesight is worse than mine. 'Only' +3.25 for reading. +1.75 for distance. Only a question of time before I follow you into the world of bifocals.

PS ... just shaved my head with Headblade and Gillette sensor blade. Better result than with HeadBlade own razors. Probably smoothest result I've had so far. Happy Saturday for me.  :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:03:50 PM by Mr Jules »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
The resolution of that photo, when shown full size, makes it look like fuzz. But I suspect it is the artifacts of the photo and not really fuzz. LOL.

I really like trifocals. I was used to them in less than 1 day.  Don't care for the center distance when I'm on the computer all day, but that's why I have separate computer glasses.  For quick sessions on the computer, trifocals are OK.

Have to give a try to the alternate razor blade, when I run low on headblade blades. 

Someone did send me a sample future headblade which is black and has a different adapter, but I did not care of the combination. Still like the original headblade mechanism.

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Mr Zed - you have bifocals ? I have two prescription strengths: one for reading and one for distance. Don't think I'm really for bifocals yet.

If you've got two different prescriptions for reading and for distance, then you're already there.  It's just a matter of putting the two prescriptions together in a single pair of glasses instead of having to keep track of two pairs.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:33 AM »
Razor X, sounds like you've met my optician ! He recommended the same thing. New job pays for eye tests and gives you £55 (about $80) for new glasses, so it could be a plan.

Nearly time for my sunny Sunday morning shave, smooth and shine up.

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 06:13:46 AM »
Razor X, sounds like you've met my optician ! He recommended the same thing. New job pays for eye tests and gives you £55 (about $80) for new glasses, so it could be a plan.

Nearly time for my sunny Sunday morning shave, smooth and shine up.

Just curious -- doesn't the NHS cover eye exams?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 06:25:18 AM »
Razor X,

You've heard about the British NHS ?

Eye tests are covered by the NHS and the standard fee is £20, I think. For the children, unemployed and seniors, the test is free. But you pay for your glasses.

Everyone here in the UK also pays a standard NHS fee for prescription drugs, which from memory is £7.40. Numerous groups of the UK population are exempt from this payment.

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
Razor X,

You've heard about the British NHS ?

Eye tests are covered by the NHS and the standard fee is £20, I think. For the children, unemployed and seniors, the test is free. But you pay for your glasses.

Thanks.  I always thought that eye exams were covered in full and that there was an allowance for glasses as well -- that you could, in theory, get glasses for free, but if you wanted anything stylish or other than standard issue, you paid the difference out of pocket.  Sort of the same arrangement many of us in the US have through private insurers.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
If you are unemployed here in the UK, think the NHS will give you vouchers towards new glasses. A friend of mine, took advantage of this. They are not great specs !

The NHS also provides free or subsidised dental care for everyone. And we all get free visits to the GP, and free medical care including counselling, if your GP think you need it. It's all pretty generous.

Current government is trying to make some reforms to the NHS. It's not going down well with voters. Most politicians know the our beloved NHS is something of a national religion here.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
I am glad i dont work for the Nhs anymore Jules , but they are ultimately trying to dump the Nhs on the private sector

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
I am glad i dont work for the Nhs anymore Jules , but they are ultimately trying to dump the Nhs on the private sector

Agreed.

This what I think the current NHS reforms are all about. This could all back fire.

(bit off topic, especially for US sly members - but I guess we can talk about more than bald !)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »
Well for our US brothers I work in a operating room or theatre , a shaven head is not going to land you in trouble unlike some ladies wh visbly show there hair its a big non no in OR  nursing . I still wear a hat , to prevent skin from going in places where it should not go .

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »
The other day, it hit me for the first time about life and my appearance without glasses. Started wearing glasses back in 2009.

Was at the barbers having my beard trimmed, and I took my glasses off beforehand. The barber started trimming my beard and asked me to check before continuing. Without even thinking about it, I put my glasses back on to check the barber's work in the mirror. I now realise that I can only see myself properly in the mirror with my glasses on !!