Author Topic: Thinking About Shaving My Head - need advice  (Read 16825 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Thinking About Shaving My Head - need advice
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
That is a great story, Curly. Good for you. I'm glad you found your freedom!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
sorry im just now reading this Brian.... I had a Hair system for 10 years. from age 25 to 35...I remember many days like what you are describing minus a wife with cancer.. I see that this post is little old and hope your wife is getting better. But, back to the hair system. I beat myself for years trying to get the nerve to take it off. My dad and I owe a business with 200 customers. So, what would they say? what would my friends say or people in general?   many nights of staring at myself in the mirror thinking what to do. I hated myself for ever wearing the thing but I just couldn't take it off.. every 3 weeks I would go in and have them do there thing to the hair system. 200.00 dollars a month.. I felt so fake... so, after a couple years of back and forth I  finally told a couple buddies now is the time to take this thing off. So,I Made the date to do it officially with them. They came over and we had a few drinks. Oh My Gosh ?!??!?!?!? was it one of the hardest things to do!!!!   That night I shaved it down... the next day felt so good taking a shower without that rug on which you said you have done....Next, the hard part, facing people........ The best thing for me was to look people in the eye and say .. " I'm bald "....THATS ALL IT TOOK..... yes, I had few people give me a little heck but 99% has been positive.. Now, I worry about more important things...Being bald or shaved now is so so minor.. I say do it sooner rather than later.

But, I have a friend that still wears a toupee and he says he is not ready to take it off....I say to him every time " Its your life, you do what makes you feel good "..... I can tell it is bothering him or he wouldn't bring it up but I'm positive to him.... So, Brian, when you are ready, do it.. I felt exactly like you and it took a couple years..
@Curly:  Congrats and glad that you have embraced it rather than hide it.  Wear your chrome dome with pride.  I know I do. 8)

@Brian:  So... did you ever shave your head?  Or are you still thinking about it?  Kindly keep us posted to your road to slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 12:36:42 AM »
Guys, his story was always too perfect, wife with breast cancer he needed to support, a hair system he couldn't take off, and on and on yet never a picture...he is gone because he was a troll from the start. Beware of those  weaving too perfect stories for their pleasure and taking advantage of all the sincerity here. I warned about him earlier, it was all too scripted.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 03:15:39 AM »
Guys, his story was always too perfect, wife with breast cancer he needed to support, a hair system he couldn't take off, and on and on yet never a picture...he is gone because he was a troll from the start. Beware of those  weaving too perfect stories for their pleasure and taking advantage of all the sincerity here. I warned about him earlier, it was all too scripted.

Not sure if what you have posted is correct.

Some people dont want to post any pics. Who knows what stresses he has in life? Who knows whats going on at this very moment in his life? I wouldnt say he is a troll at this stage of the thread. Its too easy to condemn someone because they dont fit in with what everyone thinks is the norm. I may be wrong on the guy but i am open to seeing how things pan out first.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »

Not sure if what you have posted is correct.

Some people dont want to post any pics. Who knows what stresses he has in life? Who knows whats going on at this very moment in his life? I wouldnt say he is a troll at this stage of the thread. Its too easy to condemn someone because they dont fit in with what everyone thinks is the norm. I may be wrong on the guy but i am open to seeing how things pan out first.

I wouldn't call the guy a troll (yet)....However, I think he does bear watching as he keeps inquiring about hair tattooing and hair topping.....If Brian is not ready to shave (if ever) that's all fine and good, but if every other post from him is about gimmicks to cover balding, well, perhaps his questions could be better answered on a forum like hairlosshelp.com. just my 0.02
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
I just think his wife's hair started growing back and he missed the golden opportunity to shave for support.  She was in support of him shaving it, but he couldn't do it.   It would seem that she has a clear idea of what is Not important in life (Hair)... But that didn't motivate him enough to have the guts to do something he was wanting to do anyway.  Sad... He will be stuck with a hairpiece.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »
I say, lets give him a chance. He may be genuinely going through a hard time at the moment.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
Well, I can certainly see how willing he will be to post again after the turn this thread took.

I can attest that I wondered and worried about shaving for about two or three months before I finally decided to do it - and I had the MPB horseshoe, so there was no one who didn't know already that I was going bald. I therefore can imagine the heightened anxiety a guy could have when he has gone to such efforts to mask his hairloss and will have to expose that "secret" with no going back if he is to go smooth. One of the elements I like about SBG is that guys can express their anxiety over losing their hair and hear the experiences others have had.

And while I am not assuming anything about this gentleman, if a troll poster plays us, so what? I know there are other boards who think we are too nice and have too positive an outlook on life and being bald. I take that as a great compliment. If one of those guys wants to confirm that outlook by testing how we react to his story, then I say give him that confirmation full force.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:00:40 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree  O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
Cave Dweller, you have some good points in your post.....and I didn't mean for my last post in this thread (and the thread about the Derma Match for that matter) to come across as an attack on Brian (but my apologies to Brian if it came across as such). I'm not saying that the guy has to shave, and while a picture or lack of one should not determine how serious a member is, it's one thing to say "I'm tired of the hair system, but I don't want to shave bald for__________". But then, when you are going to asking about hair tattooing which is far worse, and spray on hair which most people can detect anyway, for all that you might as well keep the system charade going, IMO. I think the SBG membership has been generally understanding and compassionate towards Brian, however, we can't fall into pity party traps. I think we need to be more concerned about continued good health for his wife.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Curly

• Sly Jr.
Re: Thinking About Shaving My Head - need advice to
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
Warhawk.....lol...I do wear it with pride. I guess I don't even think about it anymore.. Just natural feeling... I had a chance to get hair transplant and I was a week away and in called them up and said no thanks I change my mind....so glad I didn't do that. I don't have to take drugs or 2 transplants.. " they say most people need 2 procedures"...

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »
I would hate to wear a 'rug' of any kind! Bald is so much better. Everyone is different though but given time i am sure most would get used to having a completely bald head