Poll

Should I shave my head and get used to it or keep my hair as long as I can then start shaving?

Shave
Keep the hair

Author Topic: Completely indecisive... please help  (Read 10277 times)

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
Completely indecisive... please help
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
Here's the back story.  I have shaved my head before.  I have a picture of it shaved and grown out.  In the grown out picture I have a picture from the top. 

From the front it doesn't look too bad but from the top... it's pretty rough.  I'm taller than most people so when I say I'm balding they think I'm crazy.

But its severely messing with my confidence.  The unfortunate thing is I was also not confident when I shaved my head in the past.  Mainly because people are so used to me having hair they all said they didn't like me being bald.

I'm on the verge of just shaving and sticking with it since eventually I'll loose it and have to shave.  Which is my girlfriends argument.  She wants me to keep it until I have to shave

Any input would be appreciated!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:30:19 AM by d22patrick »

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Completely indecisive... please help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
Forgot to attach the picture!  Here it is!!  Thanks Again

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »
You look very confident shaved.  Winning look, IMHO.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
The shaved look does look much better, but you would expect that opinion on this site. 

Most guys here will tell you it took time for family and friends to get comfortable to seeing them with a shave head when that have spent so much time seeing them with hair.  Sometimes it take 6 month to a year for them to accept the look, and parents may never like it.  You already know what you want to do, so just do it.  You said your girlfriend wants you to wait, but is it a deal breaker for her?  I suspect not, but if it is, it may not be that solid of a relationship.

The other common comment from most guys here is that they should have done it much sooner, at the first sign of MPB.  That is what I did, and most people that know me think I and bald by choice and had no MPB.  I had general thinning, but no "bald" spots and only a slightly receding hairline.  But to me, it was time to take care of it.

If you do decide to shave, then go all the way with a razor, not just a clipper shave, and give it 30 days.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
Welcome to the board, sir.

I think you pull off the Sly look very well.

That said, your question seems to be based upon the premise that a balding man HAS to shave his head. There is no such requirement, nor, in my opinion, is a shaved head for every man. It has to be something YOU want for yourself.

No one can nor should make the decision for you. If you are going to be happy with your choice and your look, it has to come from you rather than whatever your girlfriend or a group of bald men think. Your confidence will rise when you feel good about yourself, but please do not let its basis be your hair.

As you will read often on this board, if you want to shave it off, then be willing to commit to at least thirty days of shaving to give yourself and everyone else time to adjust to it. As I said, I think the Sly look suits you, but there is no rush for you to make a decision.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
I know where you're coming from man. My balding was mostly from the crown. Most people that know me never noticed I was losing my hair since I'm fairly tall too but when I showed people a pic of my crown before I shaved it off, it was clearly understandable to viewers why I took the plunge. I have to say I don't regret my decision one bit and it happens to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.  The recession is definitely there at your temples. You will know when the time is right for you to shave it off.

As far as your girlfriend is concerned, if she really values you, she'll accept you as you are hair or no hair.  The girl I'm talking to really liked my newly shaved head.

If you have any questions man, just let me or one of the other guys know. We'll be glad to help you! Welcome and don't let anything stop you from doing what you want to do.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »
Honestly, you look fine with your hair the way it is now, but the picture of your with the shaved head looks great. The bald look really suits you. You're lucky being tall. As a short guy, there was no hiding my baldness!

Don't pay too much attention to the people who say they don't like you bald. They simply have to get used to you with a different look. And if you do it, they'll get used to it fast enough. You need to get your confidence back. Which way is that more likely to happen?

You don't ever have to shave your head just because you're balding. But if you think that's what you'll do, I'd do it now. For me, waiting would just make me anxious.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
The buzzed look makes you look younger and athletic,start with that shaving can come later.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
I think you will look even better and bad azz with the head completely shaved.  Buzzing the dome is like hitting a triple in baseball.  Shaving it smoooooth with a razor is like hitting a home run each and every time!!!  Keep us posted on your road to slyness!!!

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
I think you will look even better and bad azz with the head completely shaved.  Buzzing the dome is like hitting a triple in baseball.  Shaving it smoooooth with a razor is like hitting a home run each and every time!!!  Keep us posted on your road to slyness!!!

WARHAWK O0

Bad ass is what I thought, too!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

But its severely messing with my confidence.  The unfortunate thing is I was also not confident when I shaved my head in the past.  Mainly because people are so used to me having hair they all said they didn't like me being bald.

The great thing about this site is you'll get a lot of perspectives and you can decide which resonate well.

Personally, I think you will serve yourself well by shaving it off now versus later. It seems clear that hairloss will continue to be a part of your future. Why let your hairline control your life?

You look quite well shaved. Take the 30-day challenge (see elsewhere in the forum) to give yourself and others time to adjust to the new look. After a week or two you probably won't get any comments about the change.

Give your girlfriend time to adjust also. But if she can't deal with it, how will she handle your hairloss as it progresses. I'm guessing she's a smart girl and knows there is a lot more to you than just your hair.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the community.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
I am BBC but I have to say that your hair loss is to the point where you are right on the edge of looking older than you are.  The picture of your with the buzzcut is your best look.  I think that you would look even better really shaved slick.

I am new to this look myself and the guys are right.  You have to give yourself 30 days before you make up your mind.  At first, it is a big change - both in your own mind and that of others who know you.  But after a few weeks it just becomes "the way you are" and you don't even notice it when you look in the mirror - and neither will your girlfriend!

At the end of 30 days look at side by side photos of yourself with the scraps and with your slick smooth dome.  Then decide.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:27:01 AM »
Did you follow the 30 day rule?

Yep, the shaved or buzzed very short looks excellent.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
It doesn't look bad now but it won't be long before it does.  I would shave before you get to that point.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:09 AM »
Welcome! If you think you like sly, go for it right away....If not, you could just go shorter gradually like some of our other members do. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.