Poll

Should I shave my head and get used to it or keep my hair as long as I can then start shaving?

Shave
Keep the hair

Author Topic: Completely indecisive... please help  (Read 10274 times)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
Re: Completely indecisive... please help
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:40 AM »
Lots of great advice from the guys here. Why not give it a try. If You don't like the sly look, it will grow back.

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »
Thanks for all of the positive comments and for all the welcoming!  I love this group.  I am sorry I didn't respond right away.  I am still trying to figure this site out and the forum as this is my first time using a forum.

I really appreciate all of the input!  I have to admit I didn't follow the 30 day rule. I buzzed it once and let it grow out.  Mainly because this weekend I am going home to visit my parents.  I haven't seen them in 2 years and really didn't want to give my mom a heart attack!  I am going to wait until after this weekend and then I am going to commit to the 30 day challenge!!

I will keep you guys posted :)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
Yep, moms can have the worst reactions.

Mine took over a year to accept that I was going to stay this way.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
+1, Same here
SlyBeard

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
IMH, being completely bald brings out the features of your face much more.  I know for myself, once I shaved my head, many people told me I looked more intense and much more confident.  In your case, I think your appearance is fine either way, but I prefer the bald look much more.

Welcome!
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Ok guys and gals... I still need some help.  I personally like my hair better shaved or buzzed with no guard. But like I said my gf is not on board. 

She says she likes my hair and doesn't want me to shave.  Here's my question.  A family member of hers is having a wedding the first week of June.  Do I keep the hair until then just to be nice to my gf since she likes it or go ahead and start shaving?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Make deal with her: you'll keep your hair until for the wedding, then you'll buzz/shave your head for the summer.  Who knows - by Labor Day, she may really like your new look.

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
That is a solid point.  I should just do it and let her get used to it.  I really hope she learns to like it.  It would really help me with my confidence about the whole situation. 

Plus it's always nice when your girl likes your look.

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
If I were you i'd shave it.  She'll get used to it and if it makes you happy and you like it, then it should make her happy too.  Rock it!
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Much better shaved is my answer. Ok, it takes maintenance to do that daily but it is so nice to be bald!

Maybe you need to shave daily for 30 days to see if your other half can live with it. Tell her to give it 30 days to see if it 'grows' on her!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
If it were me, I'd make her happy. I like npsbg s advice. Cut her a deal. You'll keep the hair for the wedding, but then she has to agree to give it the thirty day rule. I will bet she likes you sly if she gives it a chance.

Do you think that by telling you she likes your hair, she really is just telling you she loves you the way you are and you don't have to do anything to make yourself better?

My wife always told me, "you're not going bald!" when it was obvious I was. She was just trying to make me feel better and was telling me my hair didn't matter.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
Back when I used to work as an attorney, we'd always tell clients in mediations that the best settlements are ones where neither side is totally satisfied.  You'd like to shave, your gf seems opposed.  So you agree not to shave until after the wedding, and she agrees to let you try it for 30 days.  Neither of you gets exactly what you'd prefer.  So seems like a proper compromise to me.

Offline d22patrick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
I think you guys are right.  Comprising would be the fairest for both.  I've waited this long I can wait until after the wedding now!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »
You really rocked the shaved head.  I say shave it the day BEFORE the wedding.   >:D 

--really, though... this may not be a bad idea because there could be a lot of people there that haven't met you yet.. and they won't have your old look to compare too in their minds.   They may say nice things about you to your girlfriend... and it could make her see it differently.   

Either way, there is no reason that you should not feel MORE confident when you shave it (whenever that is), because you look a lot more confident in that picture.  Don't let other people's hangups about what you used to look like keep you from feeling the freedom and confidence that you want to have.  Don't seek their approval (even in your mind)...they will feel your confidence and will not be able to see it any differently or argue with you. 

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Shaved... no brainer...