Author Topic: Flunking out of SBG!?! (Part 2)  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Flunking out of SBG!?! (Part 2)
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
Second Reason: Sloth - cont'd

And now that I have grown a beard I only have to trim and shave the edges once a week.

I suppose that I could go to my flattop barber to keep my head shaved but he charges almost $40 for that and won't do face shaves on saturdays.

The local Arab barber will shave my head and trim the beard for $20 bucks but it is not the same experience as going to my flattop barber.

So, I don't know what to do.

If I were balding/badly receding; there is no question but that I would remain BBC.  But since I can grow a little, I am wondering if I should go back to it.

Half of me wants to stay BBC just to shout out to the world that I have the balls to do it!
The other half of me wants to grow back the small amount of hair that it takes to do my HTB flattop - because I like it! 
The HTB Flattop is a really "in your face" kind of a haircut.  It is about as close to bald as you can get and still have any hair.  But, it is not fully bald and  so I wuld not be a "Sly" guy anymore!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Flunking out of SBG!?! (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »
Well, BBBA, I think I have an idea how you feel. I too am BBC, and wore a flattop for years, again, to be different. After I shaved almost a year ago, I tried to grow hair back several times. I grew it for 14 days, then cut a flattop myself. I must say, I got very good at it, and people could not believe I cut it myself. It was so much fun, I trimmed it every 3 or 4 days.

In the end, I love the look, feel, and process of shaving my head, so I'm sticking with it. You should not feel bad, do exactly what pleases YOU. Good luck with your decision.

Attached is a photo of my self cut flattop.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
Randy:

While most of our membership is indeed "sly" and I guess that we enjoy seeing the sly look on (most of) the members, nowhere is it written in the rules that a shaved head is required for membership in the sly club. Some of our members have buzzcuts, horseshoes, and at one time, we had females (with hair) that participated and gave us some good participation (whatever happened to them?)....Even if you go back to the flattop, we still want you to participate...Some of our members go sly seasonally and not 365-24-7. Please don't be so hard on yourself, just be true to yourself, man! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
There are some of us BBC guys here.  Perhaps examples for you. or encouragement for you.

I view my daily shave in the shower as a short self pamper time. I enjoy it.  Guess I'm really fond of the smooth head after a shave.

And some essential oils as an aftershave is really nice to carry on my head the rest of the day.

I love the feel of the warm sun on my bald head, or raindrops on my bald head. 

Any other BBC guys want to comment.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
I admit that a High and Tight Flattop is my favorite haircut, and if my hair would cooperate I would wear that style.  I consider myself BBC, although my hair is thinner now than in my younger years.  You have to do what you want to do.  We are not about forcing anyone to go sly if that is not what they want, but we do encourage guys to try it.  Look at it this way, when you shave the sides and back for the high and tight, you are actually shaving as much or more than a Sly guy with full MPB.  Good luck and post a photo of that perfect High and Tight Flattop.
SlyBeard

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »
You like your shaved head, but you like your flat-top better.  That is why you feel jealous when you see others with one.  I feel the same way about my goatee vs. full beard. 

Like others have said, there are plenty of guys who are only "sly" seasonally.  That's fine.. and we welcome anybody who is even thinking of buzzing or shaving.. or just interested. 

I hope you still participate in discussion.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
Randy,

You have to do what makes you happy. If it's the flat top, then go for it. Shaving your head doesn't necessarily prove you have balls. Lots of other ways to prove that. But then again, you don't have to prove that to anyone.

Whatever you decide, stick around. We've all enjoyed your participation.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
Flat tops are amazing haircuts, and it is definitely my favorite. I wore one for many years and on and off with various Buzzcuts and head shaves. A few years ago, I just got tired  of driving to my favorite barber and then having to wait. It seemed like I lost a good part of my morning. Because it was a flattop, I went every two weeks to get it cut to keep it sharp looking. Typically in the summer I just buzzed the flattop down and would then shave my head eventually because it was so short at that point. One summer I just decided to keep it shaved and kept it that way ever since. I love having a bald head for a number of reasons, convenience is definitely one of them. At this point I don't miss having a flattop. I love being bald more than having a flattop now.

But my advice to you is that if you like your flat, then wear one with pride. It is such  an awesome cut and I understand obsessing over the perfection of of a flattop in the same way as a head shave. We will still let you be a participant on the board ;-)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Wow; thank you guys for the support.  You are incredible!  I liked what slybeard said about what I will keep shaving, even if I go back to the flattop, is what the MPB guys all shave off anyway.  You are right, either way, I will still be shaving 80% of my head every week!

I guess I will just have to see what happens.  It will take another month for there to be enough hair on top to even attempt a flattop - and by that time I may just get so frustrated with it that I shave it all off again.

I guess that this turning 60 thing is just really kicking my butt!