Author Topic: Why use a brush?  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
Why use a brush?
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
I see that many people use a brush to apply their shaving lotion. What is the advantage to  using a brush instead of just using your hand?

AKA Gimpy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Why use a brush?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Well besides the fact that it feels great!!!...........  a brush is a natural exfoliator and you will use less product with a brush. Additionally you get a nice even layer of your shaving cream, soap, etc. with a brush.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
I see that many people use a brush to apply their shaving lotion. What is the advantage to  using a brush instead of just using your hand?

Hi Daven:  All I gotta say is that a shaving brush will boost up your face and head shaving routine big time.  I always use a shaving brush when I use my shave soaps or creams.  It generates thick lather and consistent lather that will provide excellent protection when you shave.

Most especially if you use quality shave soap such as Mike's Natural Soaps, Cella, RazoRock, Mystic Water Soap.  Or shaving creams such as Taylor of Old Bond Street, AoS, or Nancy Boy.

Here is a link on more information.  You might also want to check out www.badgerandblade.com.  It is an excellent site for the wet shaving community.

http://www.getholistichealth.com/2698/why-use-a-shaving-brush/

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:18:06 AM by Tyler »
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
I'll second both of Mike's point. I've found that I use much less product when I use a brush.  I usually have enough left ton my brush after head shaving that I can use it to shave my face.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »
I use a brush because I can lather up the head slick/shave secret combo nicely.  Then re-apply, then re-apply if I want. Just add a dab more water to the brush.  i.e. spreads the shave cream out further without having to get more out of the dispenser.

I think the lather goes further with a brush.  And it does feel good.

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
All of the below!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
I agree with all of the posts above.....but ever since using a brush, I get a BBS shave that lasts 36 hours or more depending on what razor I use....Most importantly, I think I have nicked myself only once since using a shaving brush....Further, it's harder  to miss spots with a brush as opposed to a hand...my 0.02
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dmac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
You guys sold me! Just ordered a brush and soap based on the recommendations here and your glowing reviews

Offline pjm789

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
Been using both boar and badger brushes for some years now.  There's nothing quite like the results you get.  Even an inexpensive brush will give you a new shaving experience.  I highly recommend using one.

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »
Question.  What price would you guys say is reasonable to pay for a brush?  I went to the Art of Shaving website (we have a store near my home) and saw prices from $50 bucks up to several hundred bucks!  YIKES!  I then busted out the Google Fu and saw badger brushes starting at around $13 bucks.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 04:40:28 AM »
I only started to use a brush when I shaved my head and now use it for around my beard. Wouldn't do it any other way now. Mine was a very cheap brush.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:25:19 AM »
Question.  What price would you guys say is reasonable to pay for a brush?  I went to the Art of Shaving website (we have a store near my home) and saw prices from $50 bucks up to several hundred bucks!  YIKES!  I then busted out the Google Fu and saw badger brushes starting at around $13 bucks.

I went into an Art of Shaving store recently and ran right out of that after seeing that a "royal" shave was $55!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
Art of Shaving is an enigma to me. Does any man REALLY need a $200 silver handle for his Gillette razor?

The best brush I bought was a $9 boar with a plastic handle from a grocery store. It has firm but not prickly bristles that feel good on the skin. My kids gave me a much more expensive, wood-handled badger for Fathers' Day. I use it because of them, but keep the boar close by.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »
After I posted my question above I did some more searching on the forum. 

I think the phrase I'm looking for is that "The Art of Shaving store is whack, yo."   :/O

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
I bought a Vulfix brush from italianbarber.com a while back. I think it was about $22.... and it's very nice.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Enter your email address: