Author Topic: Why use a brush?  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
Re: Why use a brush?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
Cheap? Try 2 nails in the wall above the sink  ;D

That'll work.  I was thinking of getting a couple of small, round magnets.  Glue one to the end of the brush and one under the medicine cabinet.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
Somewhere I read some guy's post describing putting a wood screw in the handle of the brush and hanging it from the bottom of the medicine cabinet with a magnet.

I paid all of $4.50 for a plastic brush stand that has an adhesive to stick it onto the wall of my medicine cabinet. The mug fits nicely just under it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

andrewswenson

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »
I tried a badger brush, and I ended up being allergic to the badger hairs and broke out in hives and had to shave over them. It turned into a massacre on my face. Healing ointments, benadryl, and a nap fixed it though!

However, I don't feel they are necessary. I've done all the recommended steps to prevent razorburn and it still never goes away. My neck always has it kinda bad when I'm done shaving but I just don't let it bother me. Goes away by the end of the day by about 70%. But to think the brush will make the shave closer is something I don't buy into. Even if people *swear* by it. To each his/her own though.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:04 AM »
I agree with everyone else on why use a brush.  For me, it also makes my shave experience more pleasant and personal.

I also use a boar brush I paid around $10-20 (est) at Christmas Tree Shops.  I almost went to get my yes checked after reading AoS's prices for badger brushes on their website. The boar works fine for me.  I stand it on my bathroom shelf and let it air out.

Happy shaving!
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
Not much to add....a brush is a must if using a soap or cream, my first brush was £5 my brother in law gave me a £50 one....not much difference...both apply the lather...both shed....whatever you spend...its a win win

Offline djones

• Guero Pelon
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
My whole life my grandaddy used a DE (69 Gillette black beauty) soap and brush, and would then splash on aqua velva, pinaud clubman, and if he was taking grandma out he would use the old spice original..I would watch him when I was little amazed at his routine, since my dad just used the can stuff and scraped it off ...he passed away when I was 21and I asked my grandma a few months later what she was going to do with his shave set,I put his brush and mug away cleaned the Gillette back up and got some blades...so when I shave with my set sometimes I will break out his razor and one of the aftershave brands he used and it's like having a little part of him with me through out that day, especially with the aftershave smelling like he always did..so that got me into traditional shaving and from there it just grew and I was amazed at how much better it felt to use the brush, and a nice heavy DE feels like a tool in your hand it just makes shaving fell more manly....although I don't use the DE on my head because the first time on my face was like shaving with a chainsaw as I didn't know about holding it at an angle etc.
Semper Paratus!

Offline PabloSanDiego

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
wow, I just ran across this thread and now I'm motivated to try the brush.  But as a real beginner, I think I need to get the basics down first.  My first bottle of Head Slick just arrived today to replace the Gillette gel I bought when I got my razor.  Maybe start as a weekend thing.  Great thread though guys.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »
Djones.... That's an awesome story about your Grandfather and how you flash back to him when you use his DE. Pinaud is my daily after shave. I love that stuff and it's about the best bargain out there.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
Hey DC.... a good badger brush doesn't have to be expensive\. I have a VERY nice Vulfix brush that cost about $25. It rocks.

Guys remember....... never store you brush resting on the flat part of the handle with the bristles pointing up. The water in the brush can gather in the handle/knot area and deteriorate your brush. Always hang the brush with the bristles pointing down to dry if possible.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
I have a Semoque 2,000 it's pretty awesome. I also have a cheap Tweezerman badger brush that's okay but sheds bristles like it's a fire sale.
Awesome story DJ.
Drew, that sucks you had a bad experience with the brush you tried.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill