Author Topic: Why use a brush?  (Read 9127 times)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
Re: Why use a brush?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
I agree with all the above comments. A good shaving brush is a must. It does a great job of spreading the shaving lather all over the head. It is very refreshing on the head and face as well. i highly recommend using a brush. It does not to be an expensive one.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
Once you start using one, the real question becomes why wouldn't you use a brush?
Don't go for an expensive brush, all brushes shed no matter how much you pay for them so pick a price range you're comfortable with. I suggest getting cheap to midrange badger and boar brushes to determine which type you prefer.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »
Well, I stopped by the local Bed, Bath & Beyond and picked up a Van Der Hagen boar brush for $6.50 and a Van Der Hagen shave bowl & soap set for another $6.00.  That a starting price point that I can live with.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
Hi Roger:  Congrats on getting a shave brush.  It will definitely improve your shaves.  Keep us posted on your progress.  How are your DE shaves?

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
No DE shaves for me.  I'm not man enough for that.  Maybe someday but not right now. 

Not to sidetrack this thread but I bought a headblade ATX, a Conair Conehead, a Panasonic Arc Shaver, a Skull Shaver and some Shick Xtreme 3's trying to figure out what I was coordinated enough to use.  I've returned all of the electrically powered devices and tossed the headblade.  Right now my weapon of choice is the Shick Xtreme 3's and the brush that I will be bringing to battle tomorrow morning.

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
Okay, I busted out the youtube last night before I went to bed and watched a couple of videos about using the shave brush and this morning I busted my shave brush cherry.  What was funny was that one series of videos that I watched actually used the same Van Der Hagen shave bowl, soap and brush that I purchased.

I gotta say that I get it.  Although I'm sure I didn't use it the way most of you do, I get it, even after only one use.  The brush just adds a new dimension to the head shaving experience and although I want to get my shave over and done with as quickly as possible, I enjoyed using the brush and would recommend giving it a try.

Now, as to my shaving routine, I used the brush to lather my head in sections so that I could use my free hand to pull the skin taught while I shaved the lathered section.  My right hand is my dominant hand.  I first lathered and shaved the right side of my head.  Second I lathered and shaved the back right of my head.  Third was the back left of my head.  Fourth was the left side of my head and lastly was the top of the head.  After the shave, I was rocking an awesome baby butt and only had one small strip on the back top of the head to touch up.  I shave against the grain.

Full routine:

hop in the shower
shampoo
exfoliate with apricot scrub
finish shower
shave the melon in 5 sections
Refrigerated witch hazel on the melon (damn that feels good)
Total time: 30 minutes

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Roger - I never thought of lathering my head in sections. Also like the refrigerated witch hazel idea. I wonder if it would freeze in the freezer. I could keep it next to my vodka! I like using a brush, but only use it when I have time.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
I think it was Warhawk that mentioned the refrigerated witch hazel.  Feels damn nice after a hot shower and a shave.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
Just make sure to suspend your brush upside down after rinsing it. If you didn't buy a stand for it, you can Macguyver a way to hang it with yarn a leather chord or two twist ties. Basically put enough around the base of the brush and create a loop to hang it. I still would recommend getting a stand but in a pinch, making a way to hang it will do.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
I have a couple of old plastic canning cups that I don't use and cut one of those up to use until I get off my lazy ass and run down to the store to buy a stand.

Offline Y2KOTA

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:13 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Must think about getting a brush set now after reading this thread.  :-\

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »
Need a decent stand myself

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
Need a decent stand myself

Much like the brushes, the price range for stands run from cheap to "what the hell are they smoking?"

I'll be getting something from the cheap end of the scale.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »
Yea, i will prob get a plastic stand

Offline Y2KOTA

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 04:06:10 AM »
Cheap? Try 2 nails in the wall above the sink  ;D

Enter your email address: