Author Topic: New Here and hope for a push  (Read 9033 times)

Offline stevef

• Sly Guy in Training
New Here and hope for a push
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
Hey everyone.

After a few months of looking at this forum Ive finally signed up and posted.  Let me just say that its a great community and I stumbled upon it by accident.  I am 28 and for years have been considering changing my look and shaving my head down to the scalp.  The urge started about 10 years ago when my mate did it and I loved how it looked and felt but as my style had never changed I never had the guts to do it. 

Now fast forward about 5 years later, I started to get a touch of scalp psorises which is something my Dad and his brother suffered with in their 20's.  It can be treat with shampoos etc but it can cause alot of flaking and ever since then I have always been paranoid about my hair and if flakes are noticable or not, I hide it well under my mop but im constantly thinking about it and I feel the weight of the world!

Now intresting thing is my Dad and my uncle have been free of it for years - what did they do?  they were simply advised to shave their heads and they gave it a try and after using the shampoo on their heads they were flake free within 24 hours.  I read up on this and read similar stories from people on the net and they have had similar success and its something to do with the air and light getting to scalp and the medication getting to the scalp rather then being blocked by the hair.

Despite this and despite the fact Ive always been a fan of the look, ive never had the guts to do it.  Here is a picture and I would love advise from everyone here as to what I should do? My house mate thinks I should and has some clippers annd said to just tell him if im ever ready and he will do it.

Thanks for reading!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: New Here and hope for a push
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
If you've got the itch -- and it sounds like you've been wanting to scratch it for a long time -- just go with it.

There's no downside as, in the unlikely event you aren't thrilled with the freedom from worry that you will feel, it grows back!

Go ahead, give it a try. There's nothing to lose except needless worry about your hair.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
Welcome, Steve! As Sly Bear said, if you have the urge, go for it, and if you don't like it, it will indeed grow back....Your condition may improve some even if you just no-guarded your hair instead of full shaving with the razor...but you have a nice-shaped head that would look good sly...Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
I think it is time for the housemate to get out the clippers and give you a shave down.  I think you will look HOT!  Time to scratch the itch :@`

Offline stevef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments so far... what has been said does make a lot of sense and I really thought by posting and getting responses like this would make it easy lol. But even though I agree with what is being said im still finding it hard to actually go threw with it after talking about it. 

Just so nervous and I think its more difficult that all my life ive had the same look etc so its hard :s

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
Welcome, Stevef

Feeling nervous is very common and natural. 

You just have to start.  After that, the anxiety goes away and you will look forward to seeing the finished look.

I never have regretted going sly.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline stevef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
thanks. any guidance? shaving foam etc may irrate my scalp further, so what can i do to get it all off?

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
Welcome stevef. Like the other guys said. Go for it. you will like the bald look. O0

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Why not get a barber to do it the first time.  It's a positive experience.  The real advantage yopu have identified is that you will clear up the scalp problem once and for all.  Hair will always grow back if you don't like the look - but am sure you will.
Roger

Offline stevef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
thanks!

i wanna avoid barbers as by that time id talk myself out of it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Welcome, and thanks for posting, Steve.

I just worked my hair down a bit at a time.  #4, then #3, then #2 etc.  And one day I took off the guard and buzzed my head.  Did it myself. Easy to do.  No need for a barber.  The no guard buzz was almost bald. Now that I go back and look at picture of that day, I looked bald, but it wasn't until I got out the razor and shaved it bald that it FELT bald.  And once I did that, I was sold.  I've been shaving my head bald ... as the ticker shows.  Almost 17 month's.  I plan to continue until I'm unable.  Really like the bald look. 

You'll look good bald, too.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 06:13:52 AM »
You will enjoy once you have done it.  Buzz it short and proceed to shave - many different tools will work fine.  People seem to have their own choice and procedures. 

Offline stevef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:34 AM »
guys thanks so much for the support and patience.  I regret that nothing has changed yet, I was going to go for it last night then just couldnt go threw with it.  So im thinking will tonight be the night as cant keep doing this - i was actually shaking from nerves last night.  I just need another push and someone to try take the time to guide me in detail of best thing to do from start to finish so i get this done. 

Also, I tried something else new last week and got my ears pierced for the first time.  I have enclosed a recent pic taken last night showing the ears and the mop of hair I have now, to see if people still think would look good.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 07:25:32 AM »
Also, I tried something else new last week and got my ears pierced for the first time. .

If you can get your ears pierced, then shaving your head will be a breeze. Reach for that razor.  ;)

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
The Best Gift You Can Give Yourself Is a Smooth Bald Head   O0

Enter your email address: