Author Topic: This July 4th, I plan on claiming Independance from my hair. Help Please?  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Chico D

• Sly
Alright I got the 4th of July off, like everybody else, and I am taking two of my vacation days off that Thursday and Friday.  So I will officially have 5 days off from work, so I can get a little color up top (if Miami weather permits, hopefully).  I bought Matte lotion (don't want shine) and Baldguyz SPF 30, meaning I've invested in this.  This doesn't mean I can't still punk out, I need some STRENGTH, some ENCOURAGEMENT, please.

I will buy some Edge Gel at CVS and a good Mach 3 razor (if I can't find the HeadBlade sport there).  And WEDNESDAY MORNING I PLAN ON TAKING THE PLUNGE (but I still might punk out).

I am just so sick of using my Rogaine and monitoring if my hairline is receding or coming back , and looking in the mirror and wondering if people are looking, and not wanting to get sweaty or wet, or getting sweaty in the club and feeling really ugly.

But these are my concerns about the whole headshaving thing.

1) Will I grow to accept it?  Will I actually like it?  I wanna like what I see in the mirror, not just accept it.  I want to have confidence from this (examples if any would be great)

2) Will chicks like it?  Seriously, how many people get more (good) attention now than before from chicks (some examples would really help as well)

3) As I've mentioned before, I'm kinda short and stocky, and the forehead is kinda sizable, I am afraid I will look like a bigheaded, lopsided alien.  Pictures at www.myspace.com/locombia1

4) I am really worried about what everybody is going to say or think, don't want to sound like I'm bragging or nothing, but I know a lot of damn people, and it would be so annoying to have everybody lookin at me like "What the hell did you do?"

I know I've mentioned this before, but please guys, I need some serious INSPIRATION, STRENGTH, and stuff here.  Please, so I can read this to get strength right before I take the gotdang PLUNGE!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Alright I got the 4th of July off, like everybody else, and I am taking two of my vacation days off that Thursday and Friday.  So I will officially have 5 days off from work, so I can get a little color up top (if Miami weather permits, hopefully).  I bought Matte lotion (don't want shine) and Baldguyz SPF 30, meaning I've invested in this.  This doesn't mean I can't still punk out, I need some STRENGTH, some ENCOURAGEMENT, please.

I will buy some Edge Gel at CVS and a good Mach 3 razor (if I can't find the HeadBlade sport there).  And WEDNESDAY MORNING I PLAN ON TAKING THE PLUNGE (but I still might punk out).
  If they have some, get HeadSlick or BaldGuyz Shaving gel instead of the Edge Gel.

But these are my concerns about the whole headshaving thing.

1) Will I grow to accept it?  Will I actually like it?  I wanna like what I see in the mirror, not just accept it.  I want to have confidence from this (examples if any would be great)

Most guys like it immediately after doing it and continue to like it. I'm sure they'll post up and say so.

2) Will chicks like it?  Seriously, how many people get more (good) attention now than before from chicks (some examples would really help as well)

YES, many chicks dig it.  Not because of the hair, but because your confidence will be so much higher.  Plus, I've found many chicks that love to rub a man's shaved head.  I've even had a couple that didn't care that my wife was within a couple of feet from me.

3) As I've mentioned before, I'm kinda short and stocky, and the forehead is kinda sizable, I am afraid I will look like a bigheaded, lopsided alien.  Pictures at www.myspace.com/locombia1
  Guys of all shapes and sizes can sport a shaved head.  Remember, it's the confidence that shines through that chicks dig.

4) I am really worried about what everybody is going to say or think, don't want to sound like I'm bragging or nothing, but I know a lot of damn people, and it would be so annoying to have everybody lookin at me like "What the hell did you do?"
  You gotta do what you do for you.  Don't worry about what the others will think because it's going to be a non-issue for most of them.  Sure, you may get a couple of jokes from some buddies, but if they're true friends, they'll support you if it makes you happy.

Just a couple more days and you'll be asking yourself "why didn't I do this sooner?" 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

Very well said Tyler....

I second everything he said...

just DO IT CHICO, you'll kick yourself for not ding it sooner!!!!

KC

Hey Chico,

I recently started shaving my head and am enjoying the ritual.  I am currently a Mach III Man and love the head lube gel from Heablade. 

I had previously been getting clippered fairly close weekly by my barber.  I do love all the money I am saving, plus it is cheaper to shave it on my own.  I think the look is a little cleaner than before.

I have gone from shaving about every two to three days to daily in about 10 days time so I got hooked quickly.  Also both my ex (who I am still good friends with) and my new girlfriend love the look and approve. 

I've noticed that in fire and EMS situations, the general public tends to consider the shaved guy in charge.  Also this last weekend at my dive shop, a highschool kid who was working the counter called my Sir and treated me like I was a marine DI.  I guess I am showing more confidence shaved down.

Finally, my workouts this past week have been awesome.  I may need to get some of those Bald Guyz wipes for the gym, but I enjoy working up a good sweat.

Remember, it is hair and if you don't like it shaved, it will grow back in a fairly short time.

Good luck and remember to have fun with it.

Ken

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
I say just do it.
Like you I am questioning everything involved.
But what the guys say is true and if you read back on other posts, every other guy, whether mpb or bbc, are happy they have done it and it lifted them to new heights.

Most of what I see is this, " why did I wait so long" which I'm sure is exactly what you and I will say after we have gone and done it.
So go ahead, you have all the proper gear.
Now take the next step.

Good luck!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Hey Chico, you will not have to learn to accept it because you are going to love it the minute you do it and wonder what the fuss was all about.  This will be particularly true when those positive comments start pouring in.   I have found I get more attention from the ladies now that I am sly...I personally feel that it is due to a confident self image that is projected by guys who go slick, that shows we are our own men and not afraid of what others think.   Just check the pictures on this site and see the variety of head shapes and body types....all wear the sly look very well.    I am approaching my seventh month of being sly, have never been more comfortable with myself and can't imagine having hair again. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
Go for it man I know what your feeling when you look in the mirrior pre Sly (used to be me)
Will you like what you see when you do it I would bet money on it I also know short and stocky I am 5'6" and 195 pounds.
Do the chicks dig it? Yea from my experiances they do esp my girl that I found shortly after going Sly (And it's going great by the way. (PS: dating sucks))

As for what others think to be honest with you it didn't matter to me when I did it. Allthough all my friends and family support me and think it looks great.

Good luck with the shave and by the way when you do it have some fun with it. IE: the mohawk and a few other hair styles you might not have considered before.

Offline kodakjlowe117

• Be Bald and Be Proud!
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • Be Bald and Be Proud!
Brother I hear you. I was in the same boat. ONce its done... 1000lbs of pressure is taken off your shoulders! Trust me!!!!!  I created an entire website around my shaving experience... Let me know what you think!

rick

http://www.baldNproud.com

jusbnme

I can't add anymore than the other guys have said.  Just do it bro.  You won't regret it. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The freedom from having to use Rogaine and worrying about whether your hair loss is getting worse, alone is reason enough to love being sly.  It's one of life's great oxymorons - balding sucks, but totally bald rocks.   I realize that it may be hard for you to believe that now, but if you will take that leap of faith and just do it, you'll see that it's true.  It's one of those "less is more" situations, but you have to experience it yourself to know what we're talking about.   The world won't end just because you shaved your head -- and most people will either give you extremely positive feedback or say nothing.  Ask any sly guy and he'll tell you the same thing.  Right now your choices are to try it or spend the next several weeks, months, years, or possibly the rest of your life wondering if you should have done it.  I think you owe it to yourself to try it. 

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The freedom from having to use Rogaine and worrying about whether your hair loss is getting worse, alone is reason enough to love being sly.  It's one of life's great oxymorons - balding sucks, but totally bald rocks.   I realize that it may be hard for you to believe that now, but if you will take that leap of faith and just do it, you'll see that it's true.  It's one of those "less is more" situations, but you have to experience it yourself to know what we're talking about.   The world won't end just because you shaved your head -- and most people will either give you extremely positive feedback or say nothing.  Ask any sly guy and he'll tell you the same thing.  Right now your choices are to try it or spend the next several weeks, months, years, or possibly the rest of your life wondering if you should have done it.  I think you owe it to yourself to try it. 

very well put razor. only one way to find out chico. good luck and enjoy the headrubs.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Chico, I went through a lot of the same fears and concerns you are experiencing.  I went sly June 8.  I have yet to have one person tell me they did not like it.  I, like you, feared seeing people for the first time.  However, I feared seeing them for the first time when I had thinning hair.  Now I am over the fear of them seeing me shaved. 

It's true - you do get a new sense of pride and confidence.  It's like one of our brethren said - most people will give you a compliment or say nothing.

In fact, I was at the gym this morning.  A lady I know who works out also told me how great it looks.  To be honest  with you, I did not think this lady even liked me (a long story).  However, she said several times it looks great and she is trying to get her husband to do it.

That said - go for it.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Chico D

• Sly
Thanks a lot guys, I know I keep postin stuff like this...what a sissy...but, I'm gonna print this out, and read it right before I take the plunge wednesday morning.

Thanks a lot again

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
I am just so sick of using my Rogaine and monitoring if my hairline is receding or coming back , and looking in the mirror and wondering if people are looking, and not wanting to get sweaty or wet, or getting sweaty in the club and feeling really ugly.

This statement says everything. This 4th of July is time to claim your Independence Day from Rogaine, and from the burden of HAIR!

Independence Day is my one year anniversary on being sly. And I had the same concerns as you.

1: Accept it? I love it, cannot go back to having hair.
2: Chicks? I get more quick glances from them and a lot of smiles. And I in my 50's.
3: I looked at you site; you have a good head for it. I've never seen a man's head that didn't look better shaved. That's why God gave us the bald gene and not women.
4: I too was concerned what others would say. Actually, I was disappointed because nobody said anything to me, at work or family. There are several sly heads where I work and it is becoming more common. You will be accepted.

And welcome to sly bald guys.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
chico..... u KNOW what will happen on the 4th???  u will finally do it,man.  u will put that mach3 on that dome.  and smile and grin in the mirror @ your new look.  i'm telling ya.... brah.... i GUARANTEE that u will have NO regrets.  looking 4ward 2 hearing that u went & did the deed on the 4th.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!