Author Topic: Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...  (Read 9861 times)

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
All over the site, I see you guys talking about your preferences for shaving cartridges to have two blades, or three blades, or more. My question is, what's the difference? Does it have to do with irritation or how smooth the blades get the shave, or anything else?

Offline mark

• Sly Jr.
    • Personal Trainer
Re: Re: Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Smoothness, irritation or lack of, personal choice. I know if i shave with a two blade i get broken out, the 6 blade leaves me smooth and irritation free. Now my dermatologist told me the more blades the more skin you remove and that will cause breakouts. I used to agree till i got my headblade atx and 6 blade cartridges.
Www.coachcampana.com

theman

Re: Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
What works for one , doesn't work for another.  When I was a youngen, and did the double edge it sure wasn't like it is today  ;) ;D but that was some years back  ;D . Good luck .  And don't give up easy on the blade, whatever it is  ;)

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Alright, thanks. How long does it usually take to figure out which ones work better for you though?

theman

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »
CJ, one thing about life if you nick yourself alittle bit, you call that learning  ;) 8) and saying K won't do that again !  And move on !  In being SLY !

Offline ZachM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
From my experience the double bladed cartridges are a tad more aggressive and cut closer than triple blades.  Which can be good or bad depending on your skin type and whether or not your prone to razor bumps, ingrown hair, etc.

theman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
From my experience the double bladed cartridges are a tad more aggressive and cut closer than triple blades.  Which can be good or bad depending on your skin type and whether or not your prone to razor bumps, ingrown hair, etc.
Very True !  And thanks for your Service Zach !  Be Safe keep your head down !

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
Chris_John, it's just a matter of experience. If you're not happy, then it's time to try another type of blade.

Initially I used HeadBlade's 3-blade cartridges but I found them to be a little too aggressive and I'd end up with nicks or minor irritation. Then I tried some Gillettes and they weren't much different.

Thanks to one of the guys here at SBG (xnewyawka), I followed his recommendation for Wilkinson Sword Super II Plus (twin blade) cartridges which work great.

So ... I'm much happier with the two-blade versus the three-blade which contradicts mark and ZachM above.

It really does vary for every person. And, particularly in the early weeks/months of shaving, your scalp is changing which may create noticeable differences.

Don't fret ... just try some others. I'd go for ones that guys here have recommended.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
Less blades less irritation IMO.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 03:45:56 AM »
I think that this falls under the "your mileage may vary" category. I flip flop a lot between a double-edge safety razor (aka the Paw-Paw razor) and the Headblade (3 blades) depending on my growth at the time of the shave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 04:31:01 AM »
I find the HeadBlade triple blades to be terrible, giving me nicks and a little on the rough side.  These are also expensive.  The Gillette Contour Plus blades (double blades) fit nicely onto the yellow adaptor, give me an excellent shave and are well priced.

I agree with the theory that in general, less blades = less irritation.

It’s basically trial and error…
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Becks87

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
So guys, I recently received my ATX which I'm happy with.
I also ordered the 4 and 6 blades cartridges...

Do they cut worse or there is something I might do wrong?

Andrei

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
CJ, one should also take into consideration how much hair has left and requires to shave.
I'm bald by choice and I have tried some double blades razors (that work fine for my face) and some 5 blades razor and I'm sticking with the 5 blades.
(both from Gillette if it's of any relevance).

Andrei

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
@Becks87: Welcome to the forum!

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
CJ, one should also take into consideration how much hair has left and requires to shave.
I'm bald by choice and I have tried some double blades razors (that work fine for my face) and some 5 blades razor and I'm sticking with the 5 blades.
(both from Gillette if it's of any relevance).

I'm BBC also. I've been using disposable razors, I'd say three blades, and it's been working out alright, but I just used a non-disposable one with the same amount, and my head got pretty irritated, but I've never had a smoother shave. But maybe the irritation was because of the fact that I was using soap instead of lotion?... That worked really well though.

Enter your email address: