Author Topic: Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...  (Read 9859 times)

Andrei

Re: Difference between double blade, triple blade, etc...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »

I'm BBC also. I've been using disposable razors, I'd say three blades, and it's been working out alright, but I just used a non-disposable one with the same amount, and my head got pretty irritated, but I've never had a smoother shave. But maybe the irritation was because of the fact that I was using soap instead of lotion?... That worked really well though.

I've seen there are members that go for the shaving soap, but I have only tried the shaving gel; plus a good rinse and a splash of after-shave which works great for me.
If you'll experiment enough you will find out the combination of products and steps that works best for you.

Regarding the irritation, give it a day or two to heal.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
So guys, I recently received my ATX which I'm happy with.
I also ordered the 4 and 6 blades cartridges...

Do they cut worse or there is something I might do wrong?

I use the ATX on my face (I find the Sport works better on my head than the ATX).

I tried both the 4 blade and 6 blade on my face. I love the 4 and it works better than anything else I've used. However, I did not like the 6 blade at all. I found it caused more irritation and since it also left patches that I then had to try to go over a second time, that led to even more irritation.  On my face, I just cannot do a second pass at all or I get major burn, redness and irritation that lasts for hours.

I think it will really depend on your skin. Try them both (more than once to be sure it isn't related to something else - technique, humidity, getting used to it, etc) and then see what works for you.

Offline Becks87

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
thank you for the answer skram and also thank you andrei!!

but i still dont understand, i use a fusion proglide 5 blade for my face and i think its fantastic, used for my head once cause i didnt have headblade yet. do you guys personally like the ATX over the other ones?
i will retry the ATX now as the first time i messed up the gel!!!
can you use 3 blade on the ATX? and if so how?

(sorry for all the questions  ;D but im new to this

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
You can use the HB3 on the ATX by using the yellow adapter that comes with the HB3 as opposed to the adapter that comes with the ATX/HB4 blades. I have not yet tried it myself though.

I have not tried any stick razors on my head. I started a year ago with the HB Sport and haven't tried anything else other than the ATX. The Sport gives me such an easy, smooth and irritation free shave that I can't see how anything could be any better.

Offline Becks87

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
thank you for the quick answer,

i am shaving right now and its not leaving my scalp (where i cut) smooth, the hb3 did, why is that, should i try the 4 blade instead of the 6 you think?

Offline Becks87

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
so i just finished shaving, i ended up using my old hb3 which did a much better job, i even used the hb6 to shave my and it left my beard short short but there....
i use my proglide 5 blade which is great both on the face and the head....

i dont understand, maybe its my head :(

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Use the HB Sport triple blade. It seems to work well - when I need to get those hard areas, I use my Gillette Fusion 5 blade. The irritation etc usually is from a dull blade or maybe not enough prep - have not tried the ATX yet. Welcome to the forum Becks - the sly look suits you well. Hope you stick with it and keep posting.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
Sport over the ATX any day!

Offline slane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »
Less blades less irritation IMO.

Truth.  I use only one myself, a single blade disposable (BIC) and it does the job great.

OP:  As others are saying, you just gotta shop around.  You can have fun with it!  I hear DE razors are close shaves if you've heard of those.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »
Hi there Becks, and welcome to this awesome forum.

I think everyone who is Sly should at least try a Double Edge safety razor (DE) shave on their face, and then on their head.

There is nothing like a "two pass" DE shave!  I will never go back to plastic!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
Less blades less irritation IMO.
Truth.  I use only one myself, a single blade disposable (BIC) and it does the job great.

For those of you using the single or double blades - I'm thinking of giving it a go (for my face shave) but have a couple of questions.

- Are they only available as the disposables?  I took a look at Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday and didn't see any cartridge type versions, only the disposables (and only the Bic brand).
- How many shaves do you get out of the disposables? Something had always led me to believe they weren't for as many shaves as the cartridges.

I'm looking to give it a try as off and on I get a fair amount of irritation on my face and I'm wondering if fewer blades might help.

Offline slane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »
Hey man,

I haven't looked for single blade cartridges yet.  I am thinking about trying a safety razor, but I want to hone my technique some more first.

I get at least two full shaves--head and beard--out of each razor, it sort of depends but when I feel it start to tug at all I toss it.  I'm getting them for about 3 bucks per dozen or so, meaning a bag will last me more than a month (since I shave every other day).  My reason for going single was the clogging of hair that seemed to occur more often with the extra blades, and subsequently I haven't found a reason to go back.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Slane,  thanks for the info.

How are single blade disposables as far as nicks and cuts? Do you have to be more careful with them than with the multi-blades or use a certain technique?

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
I just ordered a headblade ATX razor yesterday. Are there special blades that you need to use or are there substitutes that work as well that are cheaper? I  would appreciate any advise on this. Thanks.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Disposables are great. No nicks or cuts. I use bic 1 bic 2