Author Topic: Possibly the only Indian Bald guy here, I need suggestions guys.  (Read 22151 times)

Offline Anil_Sharma

• Sly Jr.
Alright, as the title says I am an Indian, not a very proud one at though.

Being a bald guy in India has some major disadvantages, firstly there are quite literally NO products that are specifically tailored for bald heads. No special shaving creams, no oils, no special razors, moisturizers you name it. Thats pretty much the major problem I have.

I had a barber shave my head day before yesterday, he didn't even apply any shaving cream or hot towels. He just made my hair wet and done away with a straight blade razor, the result wasn't very smooth to say the least. The head was all greenish, I shaved it again today in the shower. Used Gilette shaving gel and razor(3 blade), moderately used blade. There was some minor razor burn just above the neck so thats ok. I also used a bit of baby oil for moisturizing.

I would be glad if any one could point out something I am overlooking, I also dunno how to get that shine or how many days it would take. That being said, I am ready to put in some efforts. One last thing I wanted to say, I have a wheatish complexion not too fair.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Possibly the only Indian Bald guy here, I need suggestions guys.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »
Welcome! If you could post a picture, it may be easier to offer some suggestions...Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Use some witch hazel on that razor burn.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Hi Anil:  Welcome to the sly fraternity.  I cannot recall the name but you are not the only SBG that is Indian.  Immediately after your head shave:  perform a cold water rinse, towel dry, perform an ice cube rub until it melts, towel dry, apply refrigerated witch hazel, let air dry.  The cold water rinse, ice cub rub, and refrigerated with hazel should do the trick.  Witch hazel can be found in your local store where they keep the rubbing alcohol.  Any brand of witch hazel will do.

Keep us posted and hope this helps,

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »
Anil, you are not the only Indian guy on Sly Bald Guys, however there may not be any Indian guys active on the forum right now.  Here in America I see Indian guys with headshaves quite often.

I'll PM some of the Indian guys I know on here and try to get them to post.  Find yourself a barber there and teach him how to properly shave your head.  I know that seems like the opposite of how it should be, but it may be how you have to handle the situation.

Cheers,

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
Anil,  For starters check this thread:  
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=17563.0

Red
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:34:14 AM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

theman

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
 ;) Don't go back to that barber , or whatever.

Offline Anil_Sharma

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
@SimplyRed

I am not really concerned about the baldness affecting my social status or anything, if I feel anything I feel REALLY positive about being bald. It would be really helpful if any Indian resident could help me out me :) cause he would know the best products available in the Indian market :)

@tomgallagher and @warhawk

I am completely oblivious to witch hazel, however if its something aloe vera I have plantings in my yard.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:26:57 PM »
http://www.dickinsonbrands.com/firstaid.htm

This is the brand of witch hazel that I use.  It doesn't matter which brand.

WARHAWK O0

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Welcome...Witch Hazel, is a plant which the lotion is made from...try going to a store that foreigners, tourists and ex-pats frequent. Or you can buy it on Amazon.

http://www.thayers.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Offline Anil_Sharma

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
Mhmm, any alternatives for witch hazel? Its REALLY hard to get hold of one in the place where I live..

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
No alternatives that I know because this is a natural product found in all drugstores around the world.  Are you sure you haven't checked witch hazel in your local drug store or grocery store?  It is usually found near the rubbing alcohol or around the band-aids section.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Generic witch hazel is just as good as any name brand witch hazel.  You don't necessary need to get a name brand witch hazel.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Anil_Sharma

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
It is almost 2 am here, so Imma try it the second thing tomorrow morning first being smoking lol. Anyway so warhawk, can you give me a direction towards having a smoother shave? Like which way to shave, against or with the grain. Which razors with options being Gilette 3 blade or 5 blade or a disposable razor which has two blade but is really better than my G 3 blade when I shave, not very close but doesn't give a razor burn and is really good at removing hair, does it faster.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
It is almost 2 am here, so Imma try it the second thing tomorrow morning first being smoking lol. Anyway so warhawk, can you give me a direction towards having a smoother shave? Like which way to shave, against or with the grain. Which razors with options being Gilette 3 blade or 5 blade or a disposable razor which has two blade but is really better than my G 3 blade when I shave, not very close but doesn't give a razor burn and is really good at removing hair, does it faster.
Hi Anil:  That is a very tough question.  Which razor is best?  When it comes to picking razors and items it is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing.  Meaning what works for one may not work for the other. 

When I first shaved my head... the Fusion was my absolute favorite razor.  Now... I absolutely love safety razors.  Since you are a new head shaver... you might want to try a Fusion or Mach3 at first and than "graduate" to a safety razor.

There is absolutely nothing closer and better than using a safety razor to shave IMHO.  With that said... I am guessing the Gillette3 and Gillette5 is our (good ole USA) version of the Mach3 and Gillette Fusion.  I say go for both and see what works for you. 

One of the fun things about head shaving is trying different brands and types of razors.  Keep us posted on your journey.

WARHAWK O0

Enter your email address: