Author Topic: Help !! trying to decide if I should remove the hair piece and go bald Wednesday  (Read 30064 times)

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Welcome Taxman:  The following is a post that put up several weeks ago.  I think it is pertinent to your situation.

I know where you are.  I wore a "system" for 23 years from age 20 to 43.  I was a slave to it.  I know your fear.  I was very scared and worried about what everyone would say.  I was sure THEY would be shocked when I shaved it clean.

Turns out, I WAS THE ONE WHO WAS SHOCKED. 

I was shocked to learn that I had not been fooling anyone with my "system". 

I was shocked to learn that most everyone had wanted me to get rid of it for years. 

I was shocked to learn that no one cared that I did not have hair.

I was shocked to learn that I felt better about myself once I got rid of the "system."

I was shocked to learn that my self confidence shot straight through the roof.

I was shocked to learn that my hair, or the lack thereof, did not define me. 

I was shocked to learn that I was happier without it.

I also had a huge plan of losing the system, getting a tan on vacation, etc.  I discussed it with my wife.  She was on board.  I talked to my kids - age 10 & 14.  I had a plan.  I was ready.  Then my 10 year old said "Dad, why don't you just go Friday to the barber, cut what's left and go to work on Monday."  Sounded like a great idea and that is what I did.  Even took him with me.

We still laugh about my elaborate plan to go SLY and how a 10 year old was smarter dear ol' dad and had a better plan.

I realize this is a long post but want you guys to know I understand where you are.  These guys on here were WONDERFUL help to me.  They gave me the same advice they are giving you.

TRUST ME - JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope these thoughts help you.  Sounds like your wife is on board.  She is a beautiful woman - outwardly as you have told us and inwardly because she sees your struggle and supports you.  That is an amazing blessing.  She is not gonna leave you because you don't have hair.  She loves you because of you - not the high priced system on your head. 

Lastly, there is no perfect shaped head.  I think my head is perfect (it's really not) because I no longer have a rug to hide it.  I also could not go swimming, ride with the sun roof open, get on a roller coaster, take my hat off at a ball game, wanted to sit with my back against the wall anytime I was in public, etc etc etc.

Trust me, I love swimming now, I love riding with the sun roof open, roller coasters still give me motion sickness  :*)), I take my hat off at a ballgame and don't give a damn where I sit in public.  Actually, I do care where I sit in public - I want to be right in the middle of the action so everyone can admire my big bald head and hear them say "I wish I looked as good as that bald guy over there having a great time!"   O0 O0 O0

Sly is more than a look - it is a persona!!!!!!
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

taxman193

Thanks Sooner. Those comments are great and I think if I can convince myself that I would look as good as you without hair .. Im in. The wife does support me which is great. Its my own demons that hold me back but I think it's time. Of course she also says she doesn't want hair on my face yet I can't see doing it without hair on my face so I don't know. One more day to think about it.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Taxman:  I had the hair on my face when I removed the "system" so I just kept it.  I have several friends who are clean shaven with no facial hair so don't get hung up on that .  Sly works with OR without the facial hair.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
You have the face of a bald guy, you will love the freedom once you do it. I am a mostly BBC guy (shaved it once I noticed the thinning) and was also alittle worried about looks but once I did it I loved it. I was hesitant for the first few days but pretty soon my self confidence was great. I was lazy a few weeks back and went 5 days without shaving and got little man syndrome, I felt like such a sheep even with some stubble, blended in more and such. Facial hair is always fun to mess with. I grow my beard out for a month then shave it down to a goatee then shape it up some more then shave it smooth and grow it out all over again.
 My uncle (near 60) looks like he is closer to 40 with no facial hair. My brother who is in his later 30's looks 10 years younger when he is shaved. Sly is an age nutralizer, it makes young guys look alittle older and older guys look alot younger. You wont have a forehead to show any wrinkles, it will all just blend. Bald isnt just a hairstyle, its a life style

taxman193

I can't thank everyone enough. This is definately helping. I am heading to the drug store now to buy a razor and some face wash as suggsted and see if I can find some kind of self tanning lotion. I guess I am moving toward that direction and we will see what happens when I get to my appointment on Wednesday. Freedom sounds great right about now.

Some geat advice and encouragement. I think anyone goign through this needs this kind of support. Thanks for having this site. I am sure I will be using it on Wednesday morning before my hair appointment to get that motivation I need to just tell her shave it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

I don’t understand your mother. You look great and if anyone should be supportive, it should be your mother. I mentioned to my parents that I was thinking of just shaving my head and they were all for it. Comments like “ I would do it “ from my dad and “ about time.” While they are all for it, they are not the ones that actually have to deal with the change.

Mothers are typically the most resistant when it comes to this sort of thing. So if yours is on board, that's a very good sign indeed!

I have read some of the past posts of people that went from a hair piece to bald and have truly been inspired. After reading it and the posts above, I think I have my mind made up that I am just going to do it on Wednesday. At least I thought I had my mind made up but then that doubt seeps in again and I am back to .. I am not sure if I can do it.

You can do it.  And take it from someone who chickened out on the first few attempts -- if you don't do it, you'll hate yourself afterwards.  It's not the things we do that we regret so much as the things we don't do.

taxman193

Well I just spent a $100 buying a head razor, face wash, sensitive shaving cream, a trimmer and a bronz lotion soooooo it seems like I am ready to do it. Before going to the drug store stoped by my parents and they keep telling me to just do it. My mother especially ..something like "if you don't do it your nuts."

I think I have it in my mind that I am going to do it on Wednesday. Work tomorrow and then off on Wednesday so as long as I don't chicken out i the chair when she takes off my rug for servicing .. this could be it. Both exxcited and scared at the same time. Just hope I can go through with it. I want to be rid of it and enjoy my vacation smimming !!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
If you've gone this far, don't chicken out.  It's pretty common to have some anxiety about a change, but it seems like the change is what you're looking for.  Take it from those of us who've done it, it's a great feeling and you'll wonder why you waited. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Well I just spent a $100 buying a head razor, face wash, sensitive shaving cream, a trimmer and a bronz lotion soooooo it seems like I am ready to do it. Before going to the drug store stoped by my parents and they keep telling me to just do it. My mother especially ..something like "if you don't do it your nuts."

I can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to your mother!!

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Sounds like you're going to go for it...you won't regret it!

Forgive the dumb question here...is there anything preventing you from removing the unit yourself? Like right now today? Can you just unglue it or snip it off and take care of it yourself or does it require something special?

Either way, the confidence boost you're going to experience is pretty unreal once you've finished the process. Enjoy and take some photos along the way!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:27:29 PM by R o b 6 »

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
I REALLY wish you could take a hidden camera and post it on YouTube.  I remember telling my wife "think about all the money we will save" then spent a ton of money on razors, and the stuff like you did today. It's ok though, besides replacement blades, I haven't spent a dime since. 

What razor did you get? what brands of other stuff?  I hope  you used the advice from others on what we use.  Anyway you could video tape the removal?

I always wondered what the process of "the system" was, how much was it, how often do you have to go in? can you get it wet? all that stuff, someone should do a hidden camera sometime.

Good luck, can't wait to see your "after" photo on Wednesday.

DON'T LET THE INITIAL SHOCK change our mind 30 day rule- remember that...
AKA Gimpy

taxman193

Razor X ... funny and so true. 48 years later maybe I will finally listen

Rob 6 ....nothing really preventing me from doing it now, today. I could rip it off. It is just glued on. It may hurt a little if I do it but no problem. What holds me back is I have to work tomorrow. If I wait until Wednesday then I have a week on vacation to get use to it before going to work. Besides, my hairdresser .. who is really a friend now after 20 plus years always said if I ever deceide to take it off that I better let her do it so assuming I do it on Wednesday, she will be the one to shave me.

Daven .. Yeah.. that would be funny. Maybe I could tape it on my phone but no way am I putting it on youtube !! You got it with the money... I was thinking that as I was buying all this stuff.. what am I saving ? Of course I realize most of it is a one time purchase and I probably over did it anyway. Although .. having to buy the face cleaner, razors etc.. comes pretty close to all the gells and other stuff I buy now for my rug. But no SERVICE chagres and no new hair pieces ever !!! The process... depends but most of the "units" are glued on in the back with special bonder and tape so it really does not come off. In the front you just use tape or tape with a mild glue. The front you have to kind of flip up every few days and re-glue. You need service every 4 weeks to get a hair cut and rebond the unit. At the service she pulls it completely off gives you a shampoo and haircut etc.. and rebonds it back on. The unit itself if about $600 and lasts up to a year if you take good care of it. Once it is bonded, you shower etc.. it does not come off until your next service. Service costs are about $45 every 4 weeks.

About the blades.. I should of have done more research but I bought the special "head blade" the one with the wheels and I bought some replacement blades for this. Did I get the right one ?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

Daven .. Yeah.. that would be funny. Maybe I could tape it on my phone but no way am I putting it on youtube !! You got it with the money... I was thinking that as I was buying all this stuff.. what am I saving ? Of course I realize most of it is a one time purchase and I probably over did it anyway. Although .. having to buy the face cleaner, razors etc.. comes pretty close to all the gells and other stuff I buy now for my rug. But no SERVICE chagres and no new hair pieces ever !!! The process... depends but most of the "units" are glued on in the back with special bonder and tape so it really does not come off. In the front you just use tape or tape with a mild glue. The front you have to kind of flip up every few days and re-glue. You need service every 4 weeks to get a hair cut and rebond the unit. At the service she pulls it completely off gives you a shampoo and haircut etc.. and rebonds it back on. The unit itself if about $600 and lasts up to a year if you take good care of it. Once it is bonded, you shower etc.. it does not come off until your next service. Service costs are about $45 every 4 weeks.

But the freedom that comes along with being sly .... priceless.    ;)

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
Congrats on buying all the products! When I first shaved a few years back I had to go and buy the clippers, headblade, headslick, headlube, headwash, exfoliator, and head wipes and it came to around $100 in total as well. I love the headblade for the most part but I also love my Gillette Fusion. I alternate between the blades but always use the headslick, it does the best job for me. When I use the shaving foams I always manage to get a knick and it never gets close enough.
 One thing to remember is not to rush it when shaving, take your time. With the headblade put pressure on the wheels and let the blade do the work.
 If it were me with the rug, Id nail it to the wall in the garage like my other 'trophies' (critter skins, road gators, etc.)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
The process... depends but most of the "units" are glued on in the back with special bonder and tape so it really does not come off. In the front you just use tape or tape with a mild glue. The front you have to kind of flip up every few days and re-glue. You need service every 4 weeks to get a hair cut and rebond the unit. At the service she pulls it completely off gives you a shampoo and haircut etc.. and rebonds it back on. The unit itself if about $600 and lasts up to a year if you take good care of it. Once it is bonded, you shower etc.. it does not come off until your next service. Service costs are about $45 every 4 weeks.

Way too much information, I think I'm going to be sick.

Enter your email address: