Author Topic: Time to Get Real  (Read 15630 times)

Offline hellocowboy

• Sly Jr.
  • crappy camera = grainy photo
Time to Get Real
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »
Hey all.

Here's my story that lead up to me joining this site:

I'm 21, a junior in college in Texas, microbiology major.  A few months before my 21st birthday, I started taking notice that my temples were seemingly higher than they used to.  It ended up instilling a sense of paranoia as I began to think I was losing some serious hair.  That idiocy subsided, but my obsession to make my hairline straighter stayed with me.

I got all my treatment tips from Hairlosstalk, and started the Rogaine, Propecia, etc., the whole deal.  It didn't bother me at first, but more and more I started to do weird things.  I started checking my hair before every class, whether it was windy or not.  I'd walk as far as I needed to go on campus to get to a restroom that was empty so I could check things out in solitude.  I had to start getting up earlier so I had enough time to put on the topical products and style my hair.

Then, what really pushed me over the edge I think, is when I started using the concealer Toppik.

But the whole problem with all of it is that I really am not losing that much hair.  I just spent so much time listening to those whiney crybabies at the 'other' forums who think that a normal V-shape hairline is balding.  Some of them have a warped sense of reality, and I started thinking the same way.

About a month ago, I decided to buzz most of my hair off, to time it with my Spring break.  I could almost literally feel as if the stress was inside the hairs themselves, and when they came off, I mentally felt like I was before I started freaking out over nothing (I'm a Norwood 2.5ish for those who are familiar with the hairloss jargon).  Quite possibly the most liberating thing I've ever felt.  I have a Buddhist-leaning side to my personality, and looking back, it really bothers me that something so stupid was affecting me so much.

I think my problem was that I felt like, since I'm in college, I had to look like these annoying frat boys and their goofy 15 year old gelled hairstyles.  But I've never liked having to deal with hair.  I just never had the courage to cut it off.  Until now.

I admit, I'm not "sly" yet, but ever since I first buzzed it off with a 1.5 guard, I've gone down to a 1, and yesterday with a 1/2.  Every time I cut it shorter, I feel more and more as if I'm becoming what nature intended me to look like, to become what I was supposed to look like.  Sounds corny, but I truly believe I look better without hair.  I look at old photos, and I don't recognize myself.

What really helped me come to this conclusion is my older brother, who posts here under the name Blondeguy.  Rather than go through months of annoyance like I did, he had the correct idea and shaved it all off after a brief trial with Rogaine.  His hairline is a little bit higher than mine, and he didn't torture himself with false hopes for months like I have.  I've yet to see him in person with his new look, but from the pictures, he is definitely sly.

I plan on shaving it all the way in a few weeks to see what it looks like.  I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping it, because I really do like the stubble look (plus I've had the 2-day-facial-hair-growth look for about 3 years now) and I like seeing the coloration it gives my head, but I'm going to try out the shaved look for a little bit after my final exams are over.

But one things for sure, I'd rather be bald-by-choice and SLY than paranoid and obsessed with growing a few new hairs.  About an hour ago, I packed up my Rogaine, Propecia, and Folligen lotion into a small box, and I stuffed that thing deep into my closet.  My hair may continue to recede, but if anything, it will influence me to shave it all the way, if I haven't already.

Hope to talk to ya'll more.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:19:38 PM by hellocowboy »

A bald head is simply a solar panel for a sex machine.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Time to Get Real
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »
welcome Cowboy and glad you seen the light!!and glad you caught yourself before you spent yrs stressing yourself out.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »
Welcome Cowboy!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 09:49:27 PM »
Looking sly, Cowboy
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »
Cowboy, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!!  You have a cool bro.  Glad you made the leap instead of wasting your time and money on the alternatives.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:24:57 PM »
Hey, bro...I was wondering when you'd come to your senses and show up here.  I've got a HeadBlade with your name on it when you come down this summer. :x!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Hey, bro...I was wondering when you'd come to your senses and show up here.  I've got a HeadBlade with your name on it when you come down this summer. :x!

Ah, brotherly love! 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »

Hey, man....I've had the privilege of a visit from Tyler....and it is a privilege...so all I have to say is  !p !p !p !p

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:04 PM »
Awesome! That was a good story, I think an inspiring one for anyone that is having a hairloss problem. Kudos to you!

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:25 PM »
...and welcome to SBG!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 12:00:38 AM »

Hey, man....I've had the privilege of a visit from Tyler....and it is a privilege...so all I have to say is  !p !p !p !p

I think Blondeguy was talking to his brother...LOL

Offline browny

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 02:26:25 AM »
Welcome.  As the mum of a teenage son experiencing hair loss, I congratulate you on your courage.  The hair loss "industry" is doing a lot of damage to young men's confidence so thanks for your story.  With young men like you (and the rest of you supportive guys) I feel more hopeful in guiding my son through the next few years.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 02:33:21 AM »
Yeah welcome,looks good
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

jusbnme

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 04:14:41 AM »
Welcome bro.  Good choice.  Enjoy and be free.  O0

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »
Welcome to SBG Cowboy.  Great story that may help countless others.  Nice job. O0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:45:17 AM by Beer Barron »