Author Topic: Barber Shop Headshave  (Read 52327 times)

Offline Jimlog

• Sly Jr.
Barber Shop Headshave
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »
Just wondering if many of you guys go to a barbershop regularly for a headshave as a treat?

Offline KC

• Sly Jr.
Re: Barber Shop Headshave
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:28:54 AM »
Every now and then as I find it relaxing and enjoyable.  Unfortunately, the costs can add up.
"The Spirit of the Mercury Astronauts is Rekindled in Me!"

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »
in my state the only place that scrapes the grape is either the barber school or Quintessential gentleman one is cheap but you get nicked or an electric shave if not certified yet vs an empty wallet. you  pick either way you get what you pay for then it grows back.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:46:09 AM »
I have had barber shop head shaves. The experience is great - hot towels, hot lather, etc. It's really fun to do when I've taken some time off from sly and I walk in with a full head of hair and ask to be shaved bald. BUT...

I have never gotten a barber shop head shave that was as close and smooth as when I do it myself. Even a conscientious barber who goes over it in both directions just can't get the same perfect smoothness I give myself.

I still think the relaxing experience is a worthwhile treat now and then - but just don't expect baby-butt smooth.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
I have gone a few times. It is a real treat  and gret to be pampered once in awhile with the straight razoe shave, the hot towels and the lather. IT is very relaxing. I do agree though that the barber doesn't get it as clase as I do.

:)

Offline jaypksfo

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
Never a got a full head shave but always had the sides shaved with a sraight razor when I sporting the High and Tight.  Was a great feeling during and after

marty22

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
Quite a few times.......

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
Just had my head shaved again at Larry's Barber's in Edinburgh. This was a great experience. I have had my head shaved at a barbers before on several occassions.
Before he shaved my head he checked what stubble I had by rubbing his hand all over my head. He then put some cream on my head which he rubbed into my stubble & scalp before applying warm foam & proceeding to shave my head. A barbershop head shave is a tremendous experience & if you haven't had a head shave at a barbers, then you need to do so.
BaldBill

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »
I have the same thoughts as BaldSurfer on this.

I have had barber shop head shaves. The experience is great - hot towels, hot lather, etc. It's really fun to do when I've taken some time off from sly and I walk in with a full head of hair and ask to be shaved bald. BUT...

I have never gotten a barber shop head shave that was as close and smooth as when I do it myself. Even a conscientious barber who goes over it in both directions just can't get the same perfect smoothness I give myself.

I still think the relaxing experience is a worthwhile treat now and then - but just don't expect baby-butt smooth.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »
quite a few myself, and iam getting one today, i have been so busy ive gone about two days without shaving

Offline FrankR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
I've gotten a barbershop shave a couple of times and I'll echo what everyone else has said...it's a great experience.   :)

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
I love getting a barbershop headshave!
Problem is, it's quite expensive and it's really difficult to find a barber who really likes doing it.
So I usually ask for a #0 and finish at home. And some of them still try to convince me to do a #1. They don't understand why, if I have a full head of hair, I want to get rid of it... Some say "oh but a #2 would suit you so well..."
It's annoying to shave everyday and I like to see my hair grow a little and shave it again... I like all stages, except the "sandpaper" sensation of days 2 to 4. From day 5 is the "tiny rug" sensation again and I like it.
Sometimes I let it grow 2 or 3 weeks before shaving sly again and some barbers simply think "I don't need a headshave".
Once I found one that did a very nice job but it's quite far from home. So I simply try to keep a routine of getting a #0 each 7 or 10 days and finishing sly at home.

marty22

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
barbershop shaves can be good...and can be bad.  cheap theyre not.

Offline Chromeo

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
I've had one.  It was just over two years ago when I had the urge to go SLY for the third time.  My flattop was over grown and my son also needed a haircut.  While the hot lather and towels were awesome, the end result was a bit disappointing.  I expected a super duper baby butt smooth shave and that's where the disappointment comes in to play.  Anyway, it was a good experience going from some hair to none, but don't expect a totally smooth dome.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
I've had a number of barbershop headshaves and its a great experience to sit in the barberchair with your head lathered up and getting skinned with a straight razor. My barber takes his time and goes over my head twice against the grain. He even mentioned to me on my first visit, before I even had the chance to tell him, "You baldies usually like shaved you against the grain. Is that how you want yours?". With that, he has never gotten me as slick as I can myself. Its just a great way to reward yourself on occasion. I probably need to go do that. Its been while.