Author Topic: Barber Shop Headshave  (Read 52322 times)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Barber Shop Headshave
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
Same experience here. Plus, it's cool to see others in the shop waiting in the chair amazed that you're getting your head shaved...and you can tell there's a natural curiosity and they might dare try it themselves...some guy was asking me all about it last time I had it done. I left with a major shiny dome and said, "give it a try..."

I've had a number of barbershop headshaves and its a great experience to sit in the barberchair with your head lathered up and getting skinned with a straight razor. My barber takes his time and goes over my head twice against the grain. He even mentioned to me on my first visit, before I even had the chance to tell him, "You baldies usually like shaved you against the grain. Is that how you want yours?". With that, he has never gotten me as slick as I can myself. Its just a great way to reward yourself on occasion. I probably need to go do that. Its been while.

Offline carla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
Getting a barbershop headshave is most definately one of my favorite things to do!  I've had many a barbered haircut but shaved only twice.  I agree with what's been said about the closeness..never as close as when you do it yourself.  There's only one guy in town who uses a straight razor; the rest of them adhere to the health dept reg which prohibits the practice.    He hails from Russia and tells me he learned the art (at 13, mind you! Would you ever let a 13-year old near you with that blade?!) of straight razor shaving from his dad who learned it from the grandpa. 

I love the thrill, the feel, the look.  And it's fun as heck to walk into that shop all brave-but-scared and get it shaved to nothing, especially when there's been some significant hair growth. 

marty22

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
fantastic and welcome!

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
I got a barber shop head shave for my birthday a week ago...  I loved it! The whole hot towels thing and just sitting back and relaxing... It was great!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:01:23 PM by Arty Chris »

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »
Barbershop head shaves are great!

Offline carla

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
Ok, so I'm taking back what I said about the closeness -lack thereof, really- of a barbered headshave.  I cannot keep my hands off my head tonight, for today I had THE best shave in a barbershop. Ever!  The straight razor blade was new, the towels were steamy hot and frequent, the barber skilled.  Now I can usually get some respectable results in about 10 minutes by myself, but this shave was a good 1/2 hour in the making and couldn't have been more perfect!  It's sooo good to be this smooth.  Plus the luxury of having it done..such a treat.

marty22

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
I agree with Carla.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
Sounds good Carla, there really is nothing like that pampering, so enjoyable.
Your barbershop sounds like a keeper.  O0

I will have to try and find a good one out here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:08:27 PM by xnewyawka »

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
I have had one in Australia where I live but was disappointed in the smoothness (and the cost).  However I travel regularly and for a great experience try it in India or Myanmar.  They use a straight razor and it costs virtually nothing  - less than $2.
Roger

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:42 AM »
I had a head (and face) shave in Egypt three weeks ago, and it cost me 55 Egyptian pounds, which is around 6 UK pounds, or $10. I then had one here in the UK on Saturday (admittedly along with a body massage) and it cost me almost 20 times as much.

Perfect shave on both occasions, but as is just about always the case in the UK, it was very very very expensive. We're not called Rip Off Britain for nothing.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »
I have my weekly head shave in my regular barershop and its a treat that I am always looking forward to. Here in the Philippines the cost of a complete head shave is at  2$ on the average. All barbershops do head shaves. In my case, my regular barber never disappoints, I always leave the chair with my head smooth as a baby's butt and really shiny. An added bonus is a soothing head massage.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »
I have never had the pleasure to get a headshave at the barbershop. But I would love to, problem I guess is finding one that can do the job, at least in my area.  I do travel quiet frequently so I will be on the lookout and give it a try, but honestly I don't think the shave itself will top what I achieve when I do it myself

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
But I would love to, problem I guess is finding one that can do the job, at least in my area.  I do travel quiet frequently so I will be on the lookout and give it a try, but honestly I don't think the shave itself will top what I achieve when I do it myself
Best shave, although at the time, many many years ago I still had hair, was in Barcelona on the street between the Gothic Square and the Ramblas.  I doubt that things, even in Spain, stand still--but I'd certainly try for it in Spain.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Usually, I go to get my facial hair trimmed...but if I have enough growth, I'll let him shave my head too..It usually depends on my finances at the time....There is this guy who give you a shave, cut AND wash for $25 I go to him once every three months when I get my bonus check from work O0 (When I was deployed, the Iraqis did pretty good, they did my moustache, head and sometimes eyebrows for under $10)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:36:40 AM by sirharry12 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Slynito

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
I'm expecting to go back to the far east during the first half of 2012. I think I'll try to find a shaver while there.

Enter your email address: