Author Topic: balding since 17 (19 now)  (Read 30075 times)

Offline qwert55

• Learning the way of Sly
balding since 17 (19 now)
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Really really depressed about life in general, and balding only adds to that. here a pic of my hairline from last year

What can I do to help me look less like a dying cancer patient? REALLY f**king sucks balding this early in life!  :'(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:57:54 PM by qwert55 »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: balding since 17 (19 now)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
You don't look like a dying cancer patient.  The buzz cut suits you well and that is really all you can do.  The rest is out of your hands.   I know it's hard to accept, but allowing yourself to become depressed over something that you cannot change is not productive.

There are other guys in this group who are your age and dealing with MPB.  I'm sure they can relate to what you're going through and help you through it.  All I can say is, things do get better.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
Consider the possibility that you only feel bad about losing your hair because you've been told since birth that you should.

But think about it as objectively as you can: is it really causing any problems? Is it really anything to feel bad about? Is it really something that's actually important in life?

I started balding at your age as well -- and if you think things were different 30 years ago, they weren't. Except that there was no way to connect to a group like this one to help you give you perspective.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:55 AM »
The buzzcut looks better than shaved in some people, even if they only have sidehair left. You still got some hair on top so I'd say keep the buzz for now, it looks good.

For example Fred Durst looks good with some sidehair left:

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/0/cd/0cd3e2070408c954922fde58a18584d3-orig

I don't think I'll ever shave my head, I just like the #0 on clippers on sides better than clean shave. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:55:04 AM by yep_yep »

marty22

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:53:47 AM »
welcome and listen to the above comments. they're right.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »
Your hair with the buzz cut looks really good.

I myself woudn't stress about it and bring me down.  Just try to keep an upbeat positive attitude and focus on the things you can control that'll make you feel better.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
Can't improve on what's been written above.
Welcome, don't stress, and be happy.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
You sounds a lot like me when I first got here, so I know what you are going through.  I remember the day my dad said "looks like your starting to recede."  I was at my grandmas doing yard work with him.  He is bald and has been since he was 20.  Talk about a funny guy, I love my dad to death but that day I was a little upset with him.  The idea of going bald at 18 years old was not for me.  After months of being depressed and missing social events that I would have never missed if not for the insecurity of my hair, I found this site.  Before that myself or anyone else had not thought of this idea.  The great, supportive people here talked me through it and eventually I shaved it off.  Now there are people out there that will give you sh*t, but that's just because they are extremely immature and probably have something they are insecure about.  The people in your life that matter most will realize how much this means to you and will support you.  The first 30 days are huge.  When you are ready, whenever that may be, make sure you give it 30 days and go out and do everything you would do.  Don't be scared of people's reaction because at the end of the day you are the only one that matters.  Hit me up if you need advice or just want to talk. 
Oh and if you are worried about the girls not liking it, I can give you about 30 reasons in the last 2 years of why that is no where near the case ;)

Offline qwert55

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »

Can anyone assess my hairline and tell me what norwood i am?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:44:24 PM by qwert55 »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
It's hard to say because you don't seem to have any recession or slick bald spots yet, just thinning all over.  You do seem to have lost quite a bit, though.

My suggestion is to buzz the sides down really tight - to at least a #1 or perhaps a zero, so that it's even or just a little shorter than the top.  Having less hair on the sides will draw attention away from the top.  Even though there will still be skin showing on top, your  hair won't seem as thin because it's normal to see some scalp through hair that is cut really short.

Also, let the beard come in a little thicker, if possible.  That will make everything seem more like a deliberate choice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:05:17 PM by Razor X »

Offline qwert55

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
I have a lot of recession... WTF are you looking at lol? Or maybe I am misinterpreting you?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »
I don't see much, if any recession in that overhead shot.  By that i mean I don't see the classic M shape or widow's peak with completely bald areas in the temporal regions like this guy has:

Your hair seems to have thinned out fairly evenly across your scalp.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Just my viewpoint but you have a great facial structure, great eyes etc. Hair is like an accessory for you. You do not need it to be hot and good looking. Take a clippers and buzz it down, at least on the sides. You must see many guys shaved or buzzed where you are ?  I cant recall how many guys I saw out this weekend not too much older than you with heads buzzed down to stubble or shaved smooth. Plus about a third of them appeared to have not lost the ability to grow hair all over their heads and thick hair judging by the shadows. That tells you guys are seeking out being bald and welcome it, intentionally becoming bald and liking it just like another haircut. Become one of them and enjoy it.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:23 AM »

Can anyone assess my hairline and tell me what norwood i am?

Diffuse NW3. I feel so sorry for you that you have to worry about this sh*t even before you hit your 20's! It isn't easy even if you're 10 yrs older, I can assure you that. At least you got a good headshape and nice facial features!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:09:09 AM by yep_yep »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »

Diffuse NW3. I feel so sorry for you that you have to worry about this sh*t even before you hit your 20's! It isn't easy even if you're 10 yrs older, I can assure you that. At least you got a good headshape and nice facial features!

There's no need to feel sorry for him.  Early onset MPB is not something that anybody wants to experience, but it's hardly the end of the world.  I'm sure that, like most people, qwert55 will come to terms with it and go on to live a happy and productive life.