Author Topic: Does it get easier?  (Read 11227 times)

Offline GBORN

• Sly
Does it get easier?
« on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »
Just finished shaving my head with Headblade.  45 minutes and a few nicks later...my melon is smooth as silk.  Having (had) dark hair, I do have a noticable shadow.  I was a nervous nelly with the blade.  I showered and put Headslick on but Headblade seemed to struggle through the stubble.  Anyway, my wife seems to like it.  My parents reaction may not be so good this weekend.

I plan to shave my head daily/every other day...Please tell me it gets easier. :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:54:44 PM by GBORN »

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
Re: Does it get easier?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »
Oh yes. Without question, it will get A LOT easier in time. You'll learn the art of Headblade.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
Definitely does get easier, I was the same way at first.  As you get comfortable with the HB and your routine it becomes quicker.  But gotta be honest, this lifestyle takes a little work, especially if you're hooked on the total smoothness factor.    BTW total sly looks great O0
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:01 PM »
Looks good bro
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
It will definitely get easier as you get comfortable with the HeadBlade.  Just remember that you don't apply pressure on the blade, or any area in front of the finger loop.  Put the pressure on the black grips behind the loop and go!  I'm pretty fast with it now.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:13:33 PM »
It will definitely get easier as you get comfortable with the HeadBlade.  Just remember that you don't apply pressure on the blade, or any area in front of the finger loop.  Put the pressure on the black grips behind the loop and go!  I'm pretty fast with it now.

Blondguy's got a great point about technique.  You might want to check out the HeadBlade 101 video on their website.  Has some good info
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:15:04 PM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:23:19 PM »
I actually watched the HB101 video a few days ago.  I tried to be very careful about keeping the pressure on the back wheels.  It did seem to get easier with each pass.  I guess my stubble was just very coarse and tough to get through.  I shaved at the sink.  Tomorrow I am going to get a shower mirror and try it in the shower.  Anyway, practice makes perfect.  I do have a good nick in the back of my head, that I will be weary of going over for a few days.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »
  I shaved at the sink.

you notice a big difference shaving in the shower...it softens your hair alot more....and yes the HB get easier as you go....... go to walmart and buy a cheap $5 handheld mirror to get you started....when it fogs up..just rinse it with water.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »
Looks great and yes, it gets easier.  I am in the process of trying to get the hang of the Headblade myself.   The video on the website says that the loop should go around the middle finger, between the first and second knuckles.  I keep wanting to place it below the middle knuckle.  Seems like it would be easier to control that way.  I haven't tried it that way yet -- does anyone else hold it that way?

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
Yes... As you learn the contour of your head, not only will you know where you have to apply a little more pressure, but at the same time you will learn the proper amount of pressure to be able to cut down on the Nics and Cuts.  I would recommend trying HeadShed before shaving, that softens up the hair quite a bit, and add to that it makes the smooth effect last A LOT longer than it does without pre-shave exfoliation.
Peace

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »
Looks good bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

jusbnme

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 05:45:54 AM »
Yes, it will get easier.  I've been giving it a try off and on for about 6 months now and I just finally got the hang of it to the point where I don't nick myself.  Definitely give it a shot in the shower.  I was the same way at the sink.  It seemed like my hair wasn't getting soft enough and the HB was dragging.  Also try the HeadShed before your shave in the shower.  Apply the HeadShed and scrub real good.  It will make a difference.  Also you can buy a generic exfoliator from your local store if you don't want to wait on a HeadShed shipment.  St. Ives' makes a good one called "Apricot Scrub."  It's only about $3 for a 6oz. tube.  If you have a Target near you they actually have a generic form of the St. Ives' Scrub which is only $2.  No lie though, if you prefer the against the grain, very smooth feel it is going to require some work.  But once you get a good routine down it doesn't take too much time.  The sly look suits you well, so keep it sly.   O0

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:32 AM »
 O0 Ahoy, GBorn. Looking good. Yes, it gets easier and quicker. From brushing my teeth to  showering and then shaving and rubbing on Headlube takes me under 30 minutes. Like Funnelweaver and others, I have become a perfectionist and insist on absolute smoothness. Unfortunately, it lasts only five or six hours, so I'm contemplating shaving twice a day. While you're learning: don't rush, let your fingers become acquainted with the contours of your head, use lots of hot water both to soften the hair and to rinse the blade; take time with the temples and other areas where the growth is particularly thick. Offer your lady your  silken dome  for the first caress, if she's around. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »
You look good rockin the SLY G!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »
It was easier this morning in the shower.  I still need to get a shower mirror today.  It's funny my head feels numb.

Enter your email address: