Author Topic: Does it get easier?  (Read 11226 times)

Offline GBORN

• Sly
Re: Does it get easier?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 03:59:10 PM »
My advice is you don't have to wait forever to do the deed...probably this weekend would be fine...seeing that you have a lot of hair I would do what I find  helpful for a better shave....lather up with gel of creme BEFORE you shower, rub that stuff in to basically stimulate all those suckers (stubble), pretty hard for a bit of the time in there...rinse it off and reapply at the sink and do the deed against the grain there...

Just followed your advice and all went good.  Super smooth, closest yet!  I have come to realize I must put some pressure on the blade of the Headblade, but keep most on the back wheel.  Thanks again!  O:O

BALDANDRE

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
My advice is you don't have to wait forever to do the deed...probably this weekend would be fine...seeing that you have a lot of hair I would do what I find  helpful for a better shave....lather up with gel of creme BEFORE you shower, rub that stuff in to basically stimulate all those suckers (stubble), pretty hard for a bit of the time in there...rinse it off and reapply at the sink and do the deed against the grain there...

Just followed your advice and all went good.  Super smooth, closest yet!  I have come to realize I must put some pressure on the blade of the Headblade, but keep most on the back wheel.  Thanks again!  O:O

No problem dude...now you can have even more of a confidence boost when you go out tonight...nothing better than a freshly shaved extra smooth head on a night out...maybe with all that extra sly smoothness you can give us a weekend report of your success stories in the "Head Rub" section!

Glad you're diggin' the naked dome so much dude...careful though, you may never want hair on your head again!!!!

Take care my balded brutha!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »

Since you're shaving with a HeabBlade and you said you're doing it the way that it was explained in the video, then you're already shaving against the grain on half of your head.

I start above me right ear and shave front to back (the full lenght of my head) , moving up the the top of my head with every stroke.  Then when I get to the top, I switch hands and start above the left ear and do the same thing. 

After I am done going front to back, I apply a little more cream and shave from back to front following the same method of starting above the ear and moving to the top.  This gets me really smoooottthhhhhhh!

I do it the same way that Tyler does.  Once you've made a pass with the grain, going against the grain is much easier.  I love the smoothness of against the grain.

As Andre said, it will get addicting.

I follow the same thoughts as Tyler and Beer Barron.  I do a full pass from the front all the way to the back, then I go against the grain.  It is a lot easier to go against the grain after the initial front to back pass.  If I'm feeling especially sly, I will take a regular razor after this and go straight up the sides of my head starting from the ear area.  That maneuver is hard to do with a Headblade -- I've tried, but lost.  Headblade still rocks! -- a real time saver for me.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »
Right on, Stew. I'm the same way. Front to back all the way (switching hands for each side of the dome) then flipping it around and go against the grain for the back of the head. It's easy, it's clean, and it's smooth.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
same here..full front to back..then flip HB.. then go back to front...supa sly!
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:02 PM »
 #i&@

ya, same on this end.  Front to back, then switch to get the back against the grain as well.  Depending on what I got going that night, if I have a meeting or something where appearance/feel is important [that something usually being around 5' nothing" with a pretty smile & Dark Complexion] I go front to back on the top, bottom up on the sides and back so as to get a Perfectly smooth shave on all sides of the dome.
Peace

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »
If I'm feeling especially sly, I will take a regular razor after this and go straight up the sides of my head starting from the ear area.  That maneuver is hard to do with a Headblade -- I've tried, but lost.  Headblade still rocks! -- a real time saver for me.

I do the same thing when i want it as smooth as possible... but I do manage it with the HB... I just flip the blade around and it works well for me.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2007, 09:26:32 PM »

You do have to push a little to get things moving, but the better you get with the HeadBlade, the easier it will be to take those long, smooth strokes where you're mostly pressing from behind.  I've adopted techniques from the face wetshaving world--whether at the shower or sink, I make sure to soak that stubble in warm water at least a minute so the hair expands and becomes softer.  I put a dollop of HeadSlick on and take the time massaging it until it's as creamy and lathery as it can get.  Sometimes I'll let it sit on my head for a bit.  If I do all that, the HB cuts through like wet spaghetti.  I also heard using conditioner can further pummel those hairs into submission before shaving.

You may also want to experiment with different kinds of blade cartridges.  Some guys here prefer using Gillette Atra twin blades, while I like the HeadBlade triple blades because they don't nick me.  I think the HeadBlade has adapters for a couple of other brands as well.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:33:01 PM by blondeguy »

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
BlondeGuy has alot of good points.  Alot of people here are big fans of the Atras, & the generics due to their price & availability.  I can not recommend enough, Exfoliation makes a HUGE difference, not only in the life of your blades, but on the smoothness & longevity of your shave. 

I am a big fan of HeadBlade products as well, as a matter of fact, I just purchased my refill of HeadBlade Trips, again BlondeGuy has it dead on when he says that they don't bite you as often as other blades, atleast thats from my perspective. 
Peace

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
Sorry Mr Clean Maybe I missed it!
But what do you use to exfoliate!
Plus blondeguy you have some good points!!!

Plus my experience so far has been it will get easier and faster!
I had some reservations at first if this was going to be time consuming!
One of my first attempts, I just about cut my scalp off in a couple of places!! :px :px
Thanks

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »
Sorry Mr Clean Maybe I missed it!
But what do you use to exfoliate!
Plus blondeguy you have some good points!!!

Plus my experience so far has been it will get easier and faster!
I had some reservations at first if this was going to be time consuming!
One of my first attempts, I just about cut my scalp off in a couple of places!! :px :px
Thanks

Two great exfoliators are HeadShed and St. Ives Apricot scrub.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:35:11 PM by Tyler »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 03:31:38 PM »
Thanks guys will try em out!!!

O:O O:O

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »
I shave in the shower. I first use just a plain old inexpensive nylon bristle shower brush on my head and face with a lot of regualr soap and hot water to get the stubble soft and standing up.  Then I use the Headslick and a Schick Extreme.  I always use my free hand to stretch my scalp tight and I shave against the grain.  One of the things to remember is that you should not have to press hard on the razor for it to work.  Everytime I forget, I wind up nicking myself.

Enter your email address: