Author Topic: Does it get easier?  (Read 11227 times)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Does it get easier?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
I miss the numb feeling
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
Looks great with dome completely slick dude! yes, it does get a lot easier, especially if you get into the everyday routine (plus if you shave everyday it will get everyone around you used to you bald faster)...

your head will get a lot tougher to the shave...that's why most us, like PigPen don't get the numb feeling much anymore...

Congrats on taking it 100% sly...... it suits you well!

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
I can't really add any more then what Melon said. It does get easier. It just takes me 7 minutes, 2 minutes on the face and 5 minutes on the head. Of course 2/3 of my head doesn't need shaved! Take your time with it and get comfortable doing it.

And having your woman love it will really encourage you. :@`

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
Just finished shaving my head with Headblade.  45 minutes and a few nicks later......Please tell me it gets easier. :-\
In no time your noggin will toughen up. It takes me just 10 minutes to headshave each morning. Be persistant and keep it Sly!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

BaldRob

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »
I miss the numb feeling

:'( :'( Me too...  :'( :'(

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 10:42:40 PM »
Congrats on the slick look. It suits you well! Shaving does get easier with each shave. It won't take long before you know which direction your hair grows on different areas of your head. Shaving against the grain will give you the smoothest shave.

Staying smooth does take work. I use to be a big fan of HeadBlade's razor, but I'm kinda partial to the Mach III now. I still use HeadSlick and Headlube. I started using King of Shave Oil. I apply that onto my scalp and headslick on top of that. That gives me the smoothest shave without irritation.

I can shave my head in 5 to 10 minutes each morning. Gotta keep the noggin smooth! It's addictive.

jusbnme

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 04:36:22 AM »
Oh yeah, like somebody has mentioned here, give a shave oil a try under the HeadSlick before you shave.  It helps 100%.  Shave oils are great for protecting against nicks and irritation.  Baldrob got me to check it out.  I believe he uses the King of Shaves nexium shave oil.  I think that's how you spell it.  It comes in a little blue bottle that's oval shaped.  It has a flip top on it and a pump.  You just spray a few pumps in your hand and apply to the dome.  Rub it in good let it set for a few seconds.  Then apply the HeadSlick or actually you can just use the oil if you want.  But the main thing in just using the oil is to keep the dome damp throughout the shave.  You can just toss a little water on the dome while in the shower or dunk your head under the shower head real quick.  Another to try if you don't want to spend the money on the shave oils is regular old baby oil.  I was using that before I tried the KoS oil out that Baldrob suggested.  It works good too but not as good as a name brand shaving oil. 

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
Routine is getting easier, I knocked it down to about 10 minutes this morning.  At this point, I am shaving with the grain.  Hopefully, my head will toughen up a little bit and I do a pass against the grain and get REALLY close.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
Routine is getting easier, I knocked it down to about 10 minutes this morning.  At this point, I am shaving with the grain.  Hopefully, my head will toughen up a little bit and I do a pass against the grain and get REALLY close.

Dude, wait until you go AGAINST the grain...think you're bald now...wait till you experience that..

You'll be bald for life my friend, nothin' better!

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »
Dude, wait until you go AGAINST the grain...think you're bald now...wait till you experience that..

When should I attempt to go AGAINST the grain?  Should I go with the grain for awhile?  Does your head toughen up to the shave?  I tried on pass against the grain and was afraid I was going to nick my head pretty good!  Also, the numb feeling I had on my head yesterday isn't as noticable today! All these questions....your probably thinking  :/O

BALDANDRE

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

When should I attempt to go AGAINST the grain?  Should I go with the grain for awhile?  Does your head toughen up to the shave?  I tried on pass against the grain and was afraid I was going to nick my head pretty good!  Also, the numb feeling I had on my head yesterday isn't as noticable today! All these questions....your probably thinking  :/O

Dude, no way on the crazy thing...having the bald dome is a cool thing and can (will) be addictive, you want everyone to know how cool it's been to take everything off to the skin...

only a headshaver knows how cool it feels to liberate yourself from a hairy head...you're amongst friends and your own kind...never a need to explain!

My advice is you don't have to wait forever to do the deed...probably this weekend would be fine...seeing that you have a lot of hair I would do what I find  helpful for a better shave....lather up with gel of creme BEFORE you shower, rub that stuff in to basically stimulate all those suckers (stubble), pretty hard for a bit of the time in there...rinse it off and reapply at the sink and do the deed against the grain there...

it helps and against isn't a big deal...except in the fact that you'll really experience a truer bald head that way (WAY slick and sly, you wont be able to keep you hands off it)

...you'll love it dude, it's the only way to do it!

Good luck my balded brutha!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »

Since you're shaving with a HeabBlade and you said you're doing it the way that it was explained in the video, then you're already shaving against the grain on half of your head.

I start above me right ear and shave front to back (the full lenght of my head) , moving up the the top of my head with every stroke.  Then when I get to the top, I switch hands and start above the left ear and do the same thing. 

After I am done going front to back, I apply a little more cream and shave from back to front following the same method of starting above the ear and moving to the top.  This gets me really smoooottthhhhhhh!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

Since you're shaving with a HeabBlade and you said you're doing it the way that it was explained in the video, then you're already shaving against the grain on half of your head.

I start above me right ear and shave front to back (the full lenght of my head) , moving up the the top of my head with every stroke.  Then when I get to the top, I switch hands and start above the left ear and do the same thing. 

After I am done going front to back, I apply a little more cream and shave from back to front following the same method of starting above the ear and moving to the top.  This gets me really smoooottthhhhhhh!

After hearing those "instructions" for the headblade, I think the best advice is just go against the grain for the direction YOUR individual hair grows....

I use the mach 3 (maybe that is a good starter razor, control issue till one is used to shaving, then Headblade?)...and will end up going EVERY which way to get smooth results, I think my hair grows in different directs on the whole head, because my routine is , top front to back, sides up to top, then sides again, back to front for good measure....then a million directs to get the back top crown part smooth and then a quick check over the whole noggin... but I spend most of my time and energy up in the back crown part...cowlicks!

Offline GBORN

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and support.  Everyone is very helpful!! 8)

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »

I do it the same way that Tyler does.  Once you've made a pass with the grain, going against the grain is much easier.  I love the smoothness of against the grain.

As Andre said, it will get addicting.