Author Topic: ReIntroduction  (Read 14905 times)

Offline beardedbaldgerman

• Sly
Re: ReIntroduction
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
Shaved it again. I love the smooth feel. Only downside: I am a bit nervous about work tomorrow. And about what my parents will say when I see them again in a few weeks

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
I shaved Saturday morning in the hope that some hair would be there on monday. But now (Sunday morning) no hair is showing up. I shaved against the grain, so propably thats the reason why. I might shave it again today as I will be bald on monday anyway. My original plan was to shop ups with at least some stubble on my head.

I usually don't have much stubble 24 hours after a shave, but within another 3 or 4 hours it starts appearing. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
Shaved it again. I love the smooth feel.

That smooth sensation can be very habit forming.  And, you won't get that many reactions, it's huge for you--not so much for others.  Just remember you're the 24/7 guy here, no one else lives it but you. 

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »
Funny thing is, at work we have business cards with pictures. And my picture, that was taken not long ago, shows me with a full head of hair. I think this will lead to some weird reactions when I hand these cards to people. BTW: I work in an PR agency. Does anyone work some place similar? How did clients react?

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
Funny thing is, at work we have business cards with pictures. And my picture, that was taken not long ago, shows me with a full head of hair. I think this will lead to some weird reactions when I hand these cards to people. BTW: I work in an PR agency. Does anyone work some place similar? How did clients react?

1MM,

I found that parents' reactions are usually the most unpredictable. I guess it really depends upon how often you see your parents and how open they are to changes also. My 87 year old mom lives about 4-5 miles from me, (my dad's and brother are both deceased) and because she doesn't drive, I am usually close enough to stop in every day, (or every other day at most). Her initial reaction was shock, but now she is so used to it, she says she can't picture me with hair ever again.

My wife and kids have long accepted it since day one. My crew at the firehouse got a huge laugh out of it, but it was widely accepted there also.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on being worried about what your co-workers will say and whether or not it will be "widely accepted" among them. Understand that NOT everyone is going to approve, but so what...that's why we are known as "individuals", and entitled to our own opinions.

Besides, it's YOUR scalp not theirs!! If you like the sly look, (and it appears that you do), then wear it and wear it proud!!  But once again, the SLY look fits you like a glove... I can't imagine you getting a negative reaction from anyone!!

Come to think of it, you would get more of a noticeable negative reaction if you started sporting a rug, rather than the SLY look. So relax, and just let the day unfold as you would any other day!!

In fact, you will probably get more compliments on your new look more than anything!!

- Cap'n Noodles -

PS: If really worried about your parents' reaction, you can always let them know ahead of time that you shaved your head!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
You look great  - -go along with the 30 day rule  and enjoy being part of us

We enjoy having you as part of the group and are always here to help 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Well, if you're busy, you'll run out of the hairy cards soon.  And, "make lemonade out of lemons" it could let you engage in a conversation that could develop into a business relationship.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
You look friggin hot.  Keep the beard it suits you.  I agree with the guys 30 day rule.

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

Hi 1mm,
I am not in PR, but I work for Event-Agencies as an artist, which might be considered similar, or part of PR.
I was hestitant at first, because I thought, that a bald head might be to extreme for this business.
But on the other hand it makes you stand out and clients will remember you which could actually help your profession.
I am the bald guy now, and if I do need hair for a gig, they provide me with a wig, which almost never happens. ;-)

Regards
Baldaholic

Offline Barking Spider

• Irony Consultant
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Never sharpen a boomerang...
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Hi 1mm.  I'm brand new here but thought I'd pipe in for a second.  The look suits you, bro.  Just keep it smooth, get a little sun on your dome to balance out the tone, and I think you'll find that the positive comments you're gonna get from others will far outweigh any negatives.  And, chicks love to rub a nice, smooth bald head!  Like Telly Savalas once said, "Feel the velvet, baby."

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
First das sly at work was a none Event. No reactions at all!

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

Hi 0mm,

i guess you need to rereintroduce now with your new screenname. ;-)

That there has been no reaction at all is probably quite normal.
Cause as it has been writen to many guys on the fence, including me, the change from clippershaved to sly makes only a big difference for us, but not for anybody else.
For them we are already bald when we are buzzed or clippershaved. :-)

So enjoy your smooth dome and I reccoment you stick with the 30 days rule.
It gives you and everybody else the chance to get used to it, plus you can enjoy your sly head. ;-)

Have a great day

Regards
Baldaholic

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

This is the part where we all get to say, "We told you so."   ;)

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »
Thank you guys for helping and supporting me. I think without you I still would not have the look I wanted for so long!

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:30 AM »
Schließlich wird alles gut  ;D!

Congrats on your good decision.

Have a nice day.

J