Author Topic: 23 years old and look like a 35 year old  (Read 19721 times)

Offline DrewH

• Sly Guy in Training
23 years old and look like a 35 year old
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »

So there I am..  I've been thinking about doing it, but I'm worried I won't like it.  I do have an above average sized head (7&3/4 for those familiar with hat sizes) but more or less a fairly rounded head.  No real lumps anywhere.

I'm at the point where I refuse to take my hat off or go anywhere without it because I feel so self conscious among my college aged peers.  Now I'm expecting a biased answer from you sly guys, but truly would it work for me?

Sly since May 21, 2010!

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
Re: 23 years old and look like a 35 year old
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »
I think you'll find that you're so close to being sly now that the transition will be relatively painless.  You'll also transition from a 23 year old who's losing his hair to a 23 year old who took control and rocks the sly look.   A shaved head is so mainstream these days that you'll be more of a normal guy with a shaved head than a 23 year old balding guy.   Shave it - if you don't like it after 30 days you're only a few  days away from being back to the look that you have now.  Experience the freedom - until you take that step you won't understand.

usmcpelon

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
I had and still do have a head full of hair, and going sly wasn't all that difficult.  If it is something that you want to do, go ahead and doing.  And if you don't like it, just let it grow back.  But by experience and advice, you'll love it and I'm pretty sure you will keep shaving it.  Like they say, try it for 30 days, you'll like it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »

So there I am..  I've been thinking about doing it, but I'm worried I won't like it. 

Do you like the way it looks now?  Obviously not, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.  So it's time to try something else.  And let's face it, the options are somewhat limited.   ^-^

At the very least, you need buzz the top down to the same length as the sides.  Leaving it longer makes it look like a very obvious attempt to disguise the thinning, and you're past the point where it's possible to camouflage it.  Once the top is buzzed down, you're going to look very bald; there's no escape or going back.  But it will also look a lot better.

Once the top is buzzed down, it's a relatively easy transition to completely shaved.  You may want to get used to the buzzed-all-over look for a while first, but at some point you should give the shave a try.  Remember that it only takes a week to grow back to a #1 buzz, so it's a relatively risk-free experiment.  And it's a risk well worth taking; being afraid to take your hat off in public is no way to live.

Once your head is shaved, you'll get some comments from your peers, and you'll be amazed at how genuinely positive 99% of them are.  After a week or two, it will be a non-issue and no one will bring it up again.  And instead of looking like a 35-year-old, you'll look and feel like a rejuvenated 23-year-old.   

Please don't think of this is as a biased answer, but rather a sincere and honest one.  Many of us have been in your shoes and know how difficult it can be to take that first leap of faith.  But we are also here to bear witness to the fact that things get much better once you take charge of the situation.  I have yet to hear of any guy your age and in your situation that regretted scraping his dome clean.

Good luck.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
Just do it. There is nothing to lose. In the (very unlikely) event that you don't think it looks much much better, it grows back much faster than you would think.

Chances are, once it's done you will be kicking yourself for waiting so long.

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
I recommend the shave.  I chose an other option...and look at me now!!!

P.S.

The countdown to being bagless is on, my friends!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:04:41 AM »
You understand the appearance issue--thinning hair, island developing in the front, and it does make a guy look and more personally feel older, less assured about their appearance.  Large head, I've got you beat, 7 & 7/8s!  Hats are hard to find and frankly not too comfortable either--leaving their mark when I wear one. 
The guys are right, do it for yourself, review the posts in the 30 day board--you'll find that your reticence about this is not unique at all.  Try it, 30 days, then decide, every option you want as long as no drugs, no plugs & no rugs.  Sly is the safe and sane way to deal with a genetic trait.  You will enjoy it, no worries about the appearance of what you can't change, acceptance of what is for every guy I've seen pass by here a great improvement in appearance and attitude.  Go for it--you deserve to be free.

I recommend the shave.  I chose an other option...and look at me now!!!

P.S.

The countdown to being bagless is on, my friends!
TTBM--we're here, cheering you on.  It's going to be great, really--you know that, but we're here to assure you and get you free too!   O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

You should shave that little bit of hair you have left and move on to the next stage of your life. The stage that includes confidence, better looks, and probably even a smile on that face that currently troubled to me.

My Friend.... you will not believe how a little shave cream, a razor, and fifteen minutes of your time can change your life.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
Drew:
Not knowing where you live, it is almost summer and perfect time to get a very tight buzz cut so you and everyone else can get used to the look.  Just tell everyone you are "buzzed bald" for the summer.  I balded the EXACT same progression like you only at age 22 and my large balding forehead made my head look larger.  You're a handsome young man who needs less worry about hair and more fun in life! Keep us posted and good luck !  ---Stasiu

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »
All we can do is assure you that you won't regret trying it out. It won't do any harm. And even if you don't like it, at least you know it and don't have to be curious about it.
You can't lose! Except for the hair, of course.  ;D
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Yeah , Shaving is a must for you -- And your gonna look great ......................  8)

Vincent

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
If you shave your head you will look younger. You already have short and thin hair, so you could get easily used to a shaved head.

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Just do it!  O0

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 06:39:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Drew. As you can see from the thoughtful responses you have received already, the time has come! Just do it. You will not regret it.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline DrewH

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
So after my original post I went to work today (hat in tow) and while at work (I work at a local Gamestop) I counted 4 or 5 sly guys.  Now that I'm really considering this I do notice a lot more guys with it than I originally thought. 

I'm amazed at all of the replies today.  Thanks for all the support everyone.  I have made a compromise with myself..  I'm going to keep what I got until my HeadBlade comes in the mail (which should be 3-4 business days) and then I'm going for it.

I'll keep you all posted. 
Sly since May 21, 2010!